Calendar as seperate application akin to gallery/blog

Andy Millne

I was just thinking why Calendar is part of the default IPB package and not an application in it's own right. I would have thought this product would do well as an application similar to gallery and blog. This is a product that I feel is kind of taking a back seat and may warrant a bit more attention. Seperating it out from the main package may help with that.

Thoughts?

Technically, since 3.0, it is a separate application - when you install IPB for the first time, it asks you if you want to install it, which you can decline.

The reason it is shipped with IPB is because it's always been there. It would be unfair to start charging for something which was previously free :)

As for it 'taking a back seat' - I guess it's got to a point where there's not much more we can do with it. By all means, if you have suggestions for it, we'd love to hear them :)

[quote name='Mark' date='16 August 2009 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1250419259' post='1844443']
By all means, if you have suggestions for it, we'd love to hear them :)

Here's a few to get started (I've just really seriously started using Calendar so I'll add more as they crop up.

1. Improve recurring events so an event can occur on more than one day repeated weekly. here is a screenshot of how Google calendar handles this.

Obviously this is a lot more flexible than the current setup as currently I need to add two seperate events when really it is just one. Also the two events sometimes show in the upcoming calendar events right next to each other as shown, which can be a little confusing.

2. Support for extra fields, certain things occur frequently like "Location" and "Entry Price" this would keep a consistent formatting. Currently it's a bit mish mash with different people interpreting the description tag differently. Even better if the calendar could be searched on these fields but that may be a bit overkill.

3. A better way of switching between weekly and monthly views possibly add a daily view as well. At the moment if you hit "view current week" when you get to the weekly summary there is no easy way to return to the monthly view.

4. Ability for members to watch events similar to topic subscriptions. This would alert members to any changes and send them a reminder closer to the time.

5. Ability to invite members to an event you have submitted and list those members that have confirmed, declined or are still awaiting a reply. Facebook-esque!

With those things Calendar would be a formiddable app in it's own right and would integrate into the community package a lot better, currently I feel it is useful but underused as their is not enough integration with the rest of the products.

I'm not sure if this final suggestion would work as it may be a bit of a mind leap for the average casual user but linking galleries to past calendar events could also be a nice feature

Thanks for listening :)

[quote name='Mark' date='16 August 2009 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1250419259' post='1844443']
The reason it is shipped with IPB is because it's always been there. It would be unfair to start charging for something which was previously free :)

Remember your point of view when IP.Subscriptions will be finalized and completely stable... :thumbsup:

[quote name='tamplan' date='16 August 2009 - 10:26 AM' timestamp='1250432774' post='1844497']
Remember your point of view when IP.Subscriptions will be finalized and completely stable... :thumbsup:

They've never said they will start charging for IP.Subscriptions, the plan has always been to make it into a Community Project.

6. Announcements - Similar to the announcements we can set on a forum by forum basis, how about announcements on a calendar by calendar basis.

Also what I said about Calendar seeming to "Take a back seat" a prime example of that is the fact that no feedback sub-forum exists in this forum yet all other IPS products have one :P

As for charging I wasn't suggesting you charge for it as a seperate app (Although I do think a nominal charge would be justifiable) just that it was credited with a bit more of an equal footing with the other apps. If I sound like I am knocking products don't worry that's not the case, I am trying to offer up my constructive opinions wherever possible in order to help development.

Calendar has traditionally taken a "back seat" simply because *most* communities only have limited use for the calendar. We realize some can make a lot of use from such a feature, but in general most communities don't use it at all, or only use it on a limited basis. As a result, we tend to focus our energies on things that will benefit more customers in the end.

7. Import from a calendar done using Ical or some standar format
8. Digest of the events in a daily / weekly / monthly basis
9. To be able to enter at least 5 variables for each event
10. Order by any of the 5 variables
11. Make some of these variables to be choosen from a couple of options
12. Let select the digest to only be sent for a choosen variables concordancy

And several more...

• 3 weeks later...

Brandon, et al

I would have to disagree that "most" communities don't use a calendar - consider that folks, like me, can't use the calendar because it does not have enough functionality.

I work with a few hundred chapters who use systems like Meetup or Calendar.net in addition to their forum systems because they can handle events by state, sub-state (chapter, region, etc.), handle mapping, geolocation, RSVP, etc. They have members cross country (and around the globe) who have, on average, 4 member events per month - and post many more in support of other chapters and organizations.

Meetup.com - community with calendar - is nirvana for me but too locale specific. Joomla with jCal is as close as I can get to the "perfect" CMS integrated calendar - but it lacks RSVP [and commercial development, roadmap, consistent support, etc.] which is a non-starter for me.

Look at nearly every CMS forum and you will see RSVP as a feature request.

For me Calendar features are the difference between IPB and vB - so far you are winning as you have a start date/time and event type, on the fence because I can't see where calendar entries can be linked to forum posts - so at the very least it's opportunity for solid differentiation between vendors working with "communities" of users.

Sometimes communities meet... a calendar is a key component of that, IMHO.

Regards,
gp

some good points there gp3. Communities are no longer just about forums and I do believe that at the core IPS realises this and this is why these products exist at all. Software takes time to develop and clearly attention has been focussed on their real speciality (IPB) up to now. This is not a bad thing! I do hope that the focus now balances out so the other products can be brought back into line and integrate with the current generation of IPB. This is just how things work out as the products mature, one foot then the other so to speak.

As Pisaldi says my calendar is mainly being used for the default birthday functionality and whatever the admins can be bothered to add. The mainstream member with the odd exception, doesn't see it as a tool to contribute to, they only see it as a way for admins to notify them of events. What would help is if the current odd exception was given tools like invites to help wake up the other mainstream members to the possibilities. If a member gets an invite off another member then suddenly they are made aware that they too can publish events and so begins the cascade.

• 1 month later...

Agree. Most communities have a homepage where importante info, including events, gets posted. And they end up with an "agenda" page managed outside the calendar module, or using Facebook group invites.

It's not lack of interest in event management features, it's lack of interest in a module without enough features.

Looking forward to news on this front... and currently working on some integration that will work. Best regards,

Miguel

• 1 month later...

I must say there are a couple of features I would like to see included with the calendar.

When you create an event, a topic in a selected forum is created to allow people to comment on it.

RSVP - People can click "Yes, No or Maybe". It then shows a list and also adds it to a block in a members profile page.

My forum is a local community forum, so a calendar to list events I would say is at the very heart of the forum.

Ive achieved the above using a couple of modifications on Vbulletin, however now im making the move over to IPB, I can only see one mod that will link the calendar with the actual forum.

Heres a look at my vb setup. >> http://www.doverlocals.co.uk/calendar.php

When you click on any of the events in the calendar, it takes you straight to a forum topic about it.

[quote name='Dave Legg' date='22 November 2009 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1258903254' post='1881489']

When you create an event, a topic in a selected forum is created to allow people to comment on it.

Nice suggestion, I think it would be better just allowing comments on the event within the calendar rather than abstracting to forums though.

Definately

Ditto

RSVP - People can click "Yes, No or Maybe". It then shows a list and also adds it to a block in a members profile page.

My forum is a local community forum, so a calendar to list events I would say is at the very heart of the forum.

[quote name='AndyMillne' date='22 November 2009 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1258904833' post='1881494']
Nice suggestion, I think it would be better just allowing comments on the event within the calendar rather than abstracting to forums though.

Good point. Im still in the vb frame of mind, where what happens in the calendar stays in the calendar. At least with IPB there is more integration with the calendar tab under "view new content"

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for something to expand upon the calendar. Looks like nothing is yet available?
Being able to import databases into the calendar would be extremely useful. I have companies who send me theire calendar events, which at the moment, need to be manually entered.

• 1 year later...

So has something be decided as to when we would be working with a better calendar features? We love the content managment system, and discussion boards, as well as other apps provided by IPS, but the limitation of the calendar is leaving us with the thoughts to leave IPS. I wouldnt mind paying extra money for the calendar if it was fully developed.

But... updates or a big change ? :whistle:

It is a need to do a big change in the calendar so it can be used for something... now it is near useless... links with Google Calendar o Outlook... and lot more features like all of these message...

Will it be really than after more than one year will it be possible ? :huggles:

That would be FANTASTIC !!! :thumbsup:

Id love to see the calender given a bit of an overhaul. When I was thinking of idea's for a new site, there was always one area that kept holding me back on idea's, which was the calender. I ended up continuing with the new site as apart from the calender i knew IPB was great software, but oh how id love a half decent calender. Would help with my future community once the site is completely finished.

Archived