IP. Subscription Manager

ᴡᴅツ

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='22 July 2009 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1248316514' post='1831259']
Betas are never intended for use on a live board. Basically, if you do, it's at your own risk and if anything goes powerfully wrong, then that's your own fault buddy.

The RC stage is when you still don't get official support but it's considered safe enough to use on a live board.

In short, Beta 2, I wouldn't recommend on a live board, but if you do it and it works for you, then awesome.

I know. I'm merely making a point that some of us rely on this software and were led to believe that it would be ready faster, not dragged out over months.

[quote name='Myr' date='23 July 2009 - 03:39 AM' timestamp='1248316789' post='1831262']
I know. I'm merely making a point that some of us rely on this software and were led to believe that it would be ready faster, not dragged out over months.

If history has taught you anything you should have known it was going to take a long time regardless of what they made it sound like.

One of the biggest bugs on the subscription manager was reported back in November 2007 and another back in July 2006 and those were just recently fixed on beta 1.

That alone should tell you nothing is going to happen quickly which is why I'm still on 2.3.6.

[quote name='envonge' date='23 July 2009 - 03:57 AM' timestamp='1248317831' post='1831271']
If history has taught you anything you should have known it was going to take a long time regardless of what they made it sound like.

One of the biggest bugs on the subscription manager was reported back in November 2007 and another back in July 2006 and those were just recently fixed on beta 1.

That alone should tell you nothing is going to happen quickly which is why I'm still on 2.3.6.

that's probably because they didn't pay attention to it. It's not like it was such a massive bug it took them 3 years to fix.

[quote name='Myr' date='22 July 2009 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1248316789' post='1831262']

I would wager to guess that since Matt is the primary (only?) person working on it and since he's one of the top IPS staff, he's having to delegate his time across multiple issues. Yes, be nice for it to be sped up some, even though I don't really use the SM, but let's not assume that he's just twiddling his thumbs when he's not working on SM.

[quote name='ysun' date='22 July 2009 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1248317547' post='1831270']
What is IP.Subscription Manager? Is it for the forum subscription?

It manages paid subscriptions to the board. Think of it like a Paid Services Manager.

[quote name='Archon Neo' date='23 July 2009 - 04:11 AM' timestamp='1248318710' post='1831274']
that's probably because they didn't pay attention to it. It's not like it was such a massive bug it took them 3 years to fix.

Quoting them from the ticket "I've looked into this before and it's not that easy to resolve I'm afraid."

So it would appear that it was too difficult for them to do so they waited several years until IPB 3.

In other words they basically left their customers (who depend on the subscription manager) out to dry.

[quote name='envonge' date='23 July 2009 - 05:02 AM' timestamp='1248321735' post='1831290']
Quoting them from the ticket "I've looked into this before and it's not that easy to resolve I'm afraid."

So it would appear that it was too difficult for them to do so they waited several years until IPB 3.

In other words they basically left their customers (who depend on the subscription manager) out to dry.

Well even if that's true I didn't have much problems with the subscription manager on a site I manage. Just a few problems that I already mentioned in this thread. Let's just hope it doesn't take 3 years to get the important stuff squared away (if they exist). :P

I am slightly disapointed that this is taking so long, it should have been resolved in time for 3.0 release. I do realise Matt is working hard to get this done, but considering that I pay for a licence to keep my software updated this is not really good enough.

I am not in a position to update my board until SM is at RC1 stage. I can't imagine that IPB would have released a software update without their customer client software being fully functional and in place to take payments, so why short change us ? I rely on subscriptions to keep my board running, without it I couldn't keep providing a service to my members. To upgrade without it is not an option.

I am paying IPB for a service, part of that service is to have fully operational software on final release. This seems to have been a fudge, by removing the SM from the board and making it a stand alone product they get around the fact that they should have integrated and tested this feature as in previous releases.

What may not seem to be have been a priority for IPB, is a priority for many of us, to the extent that I simply cannot upgrade to 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 (whatever version it is by the time this gets done). My patience is wearing thin.

[quote name='GMIC' date='23 July 2009 - 02:55 AM' timestamp='1248332157' post='1831350']
I am slightly disapointed that this is taking so long, it should have been resolved in time for 3.0 release. I do realise Matt is working hard to get this done, but considering that I pay for a licence to keep my software updated this is not really good enough.

I am not in a position to update my board until SM is at RC1 stage. I can't imagine that IPB would have released a software update without their customer client software being fully functional and in place to take payments, so why short change us ? I rely on subscriptions to keep my board running, without it I couldn't keep providing a service to my members. To upgrade without it is not an option.

I am paying IPB for a service, part of that service is to have fully operational software on final release. This seems to have been a fudge, by removing the SM from the board and making it a stand alone product they get around the fact that they should have integrated and tested this feature as in previous releases.

Perhaps I am mistaken on this, but I was under the impression that IPS was originally going to just do away with the SM altogether until it became known that many sites make use of it. Regardless though, once it's released, it's supposed to become a community project, so it can/will get extra features/options added to it, making it well worth the wait because it will do more than before.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='23 July 2009 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1248348342' post='1831465']
Perhaps I am mistaken on this, but I was under the impression that IPS was originally going to just do away with the SM altogether until it became known that many sites make use of it. Regardless though, once it's released, it's supposed to become a community project, so it can/will get extra features/options added to it, making it well worth the wait because it will do more than before.

From what I understood they wanted to separate it from the board, making it a community project.

I still would like some status updates. I've been waiting since November 2008. Should I wait for a whole year? Maybe we're supposed to wait 2 years.

[quote name='Archon Neo' date='23 July 2009 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1248394577' post='1832118']
From what I understood they wanted to separate it from the board, making it a community project.

I still would like some status updates. I've been waiting since November 2008. Should I wait for a whole year? Maybe we're supposed to wait 2 years.

I think the waiting plan you purchased was for 18 months. Would you like to upgrade your waiting time? :D

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='24 July 2009 - 01:19 AM' timestamp='1248394755' post='1832120']
I think the waiting plan you purchased was for 18 months. Would you like to upgrade your waiting time? :D

Heck no! I would like a major downgrade!!!

Matt has been posting regular updates on the subscription manager in the customer lounge, which I realize you can't see. Long story short, he's been working hard at stabilizing many long-standing bugs and tweaking some of the code to provide for some better functionality. The next beta should be out soon. Was scheduled for this week, but Matt started on some bug fixes today he's not ready to distribute yet until he tests them more.

[quote name='bfarber' date='24 July 2009 - 10:44 PM' timestamp='1248471864' post='1832725']
Matt has been posting regular updates on the subscription manager in the customer lounge, which I realize you can't see. Long story short, he's been working hard at stabilizing many long-standing bugs and tweaking some of the code to provide for some better functionality. The next beta should be out soon. Was scheduled for this week, but Matt started on some bug fixes today he's not ready to distribute yet until he tests them more.

There are reasons why I am not renewing a subscription for which I have no need as of yet. I am sure I am not the only customer here whom is unsatisfied with the event background of the subscription manager, especially with the denied releases in every single beta and release candidate.

All I ask is for the IPS staff to respect this specific share of their customers by not leaving them in the dark of events which are their utmost concern regarding IP.Board.

[quote name='Archon Neo' date='26 July 2009 - 04:11 AM' timestamp='1248595896' post='1833375']
All I ask is for the IPS staff to respect this specific share of their customers by not leaving them in the dark of events which are their utmost concern regarding IP.Board.

There is an open discussion about it, in which Matt is keeping activate customers up to date, located here:
IP.Subscriptions 1.0.0 Beta 1

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='26 July 2009 - 09:52 AM' timestamp='1248598350' post='1833387']
There is an open discussion about it, in which Matt is keeping activate customers up to date, located here:
IP.Subscriptions 1.0.0 Beta 1

I'll be renewing my license *after* the subscription manager is released.

[quote name='Αlex' date='26 July 2009 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1248611597' post='1833438']
And Matt has also been keeping people up to date on his Twitter about Beta 2 :)

I've been checking it and on occasion I do see updates.

[quote name='Archon Neo' date='26 July 2009 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1248630840' post='1833549']
I'll be renewing my license *after* the subscription manager is released.

The problem with that is that you can't participate in the beta testing, so if there's a bug that is yet unfound that you end up finding after the final is released, it's a bug that could have been fixed before final.

That and I'd expect final to be release before October (ie, August or September). Of course, I'm trying to over estimate a bit here, but even if it were to be the end of September, your license would still be valid. Heck, at this point, anytime this year and your license would still be valid.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='26 July 2009 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1248642601' post='1833689']
The problem with that is that you can't participate in the beta testing, so if there's a bug that is yet unfound that you end up finding after the final is released, it's a bug that could have been fixed before final.

That and I'd expect final to be release before October (ie, August or September). Of course, I'm trying to over estimate a bit here, but even if it were to be the end of September, your license would still be valid. Heck, at this point, anytime this year and your license would still be valid.

Yes I had the same mentality back in November when I purchased another license* to get 3.0 (waiting for the estimated q4 release). :rolleyes: But it took a little longer than 6 months didn't it? I'll rather wait and renew my license when I actually need the service.

*I meant a renewal license

Hey, hey, let's back off of Archon Neo. If he wants to wait for subscription manager, it's his prerogative. :)

Beta 2 should be released very soon (this week, there is a "soft" release in the customer lounge for those brave customers who wish to try it on their board).

[quote name='bfarber' date='27 July 2009 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1248719534' post='1834111']
Hey, hey, let's back off of Archon Neo. If he wants to wait for subscription manager, it's his prerogative. :)

Beta 2 should be released very soon (this week, there is a "soft" release in the customer lounge for those brave customers who wish to try it on their board).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8NLHBNPQfo

Archived