IP. Subscription Manager

ᴡᴅツ

How many beta releases is planned for the Subscription Manager? Is this a project that will take a week, a month, or 5 months to complete? Can I get some sort of deadline. It doesn't have to be accurate. I just want a ballpark area. I waited for the subscription manager this whole time since 2008 when a Q4 release was estimated. I waited to see it in beta releases, and in the RC's but didn't turn up.

So I'm sure you will understand why I am a bit frustrated for this long delay. Nothing personal here. I would just like an honest estimate as would many of your paid customers.

Matt is trying to get it out as soon as he possibly can. My own personal prediction will be 2 betas and maybe 1 RC before it goes final. Time wise, I'm guessing about 3 or 4 weeks from now. I'm hoping that I'm over estimating because I know a lot of people are looking forward to SM being released. But even at a week per release, Beta 2 would come out on maybe the 15th, RC1 on the 22nd and then final on the 29th. That's still close to 3 weeks from now. Keep in mind that the dates I listed are for example purposes only. I do not know of any actual dates planned for beta/rc/final releases.

If you plan for it to be a month then you'll be happy if it comes out sooner. If you help to test it out (to try to find any bugs that others may not be finding), then it can help speed things up. Bugs found sooner get fixed sooner and then fewer bugs later on, it moves more swiftly towards a final release.

• Management

One more beta then an RC. I don't think many people are going to test it properly until they use it on their website properly. The best I can do is make sure it all hangs together correctly and then dive in and fix up whatever is reported as quickly as I can.

Thanks for your response. When it is released I will report any errors I get from my members. I have about 200+ active subscriptions so I bet that would help a bit.

Here are the problems/complaints I've had for 2.3.6 (not very many)

1. Automatic renewal (I at first didn't know such a setting existed. So I had to go in, disable it, and tell the members to remove any subscriptions from their paypal)
2. Double billed. Alot of my members were getting double-billed and I think it had to do with the automatic subscription issue. Once I disabled that, this problem wasn't reported any more.
2. Renewing before expiration. Many members wanted to renew their subscription before it expires and found it frustrating that they can't.
3. Failed transactions. On rare occasions the system would report a failed transaction or a transaction of $0.00 even though the payment was really successful (money was already sent to paypal). I had to manually take care of subscriptions for some members.
4. Paypal / E-check delay. I don't know how people or paypal does this but a few members use e-checks and report long delays on getting their account approved even though the money was sent. When this happens I manually approve the accounts. I have some members from afghanistan and saudi arabia, and *maybe* there are some discrepancies with how electronic funding works there.

[quote name='Archon Neo' date='14 July 2009 - 06:59 PM' timestamp='1247612381' post='1826328']
4. Paypal / E-check delay. I don't know how people or paypal does this but a few members use e-checks and report long delays on getting their account approved even though the money was sent. When this happens I manually approve the accounts. I have some members from afghanistan and saudi arabia, and *maybe* there are some discrepancies with how electronic funding works there.

E-Checks take a few days, it notifies the user when they are shown this option on PayPal.

[quote name='Archon Neo' date='14 July 2009 - 11:59 PM' timestamp='1247612381' post='1826328']
Thanks for your response. When it is released I will report any errors I get from my members. I have about 200+ active subscriptions so I bet that would help a bit.

Here are the problems/complaints I've had for 2.3.6 (not very many)

1. Automatic renewal (I at first didn't know such a setting existed. So I had to go in, disable it, and tell the members to remove any subscriptions from their paypal)
2. Double billed. Alot of my members were getting double-billed and I think it had to do with the automatic subscription issue. Once I disabled that, this problem wasn't reported any more.
2. Renewing before expiration. Many members wanted to renew their subscription before it expires and found it frustrating that they can't.
3. Failed transactions. On rare occasions the system would report a failed transaction or a transaction of $0.00 even though the payment was really successful (money was already sent to paypal). I had to manually take care of subscriptions for some members.

The date bug I reported back in November 2007 :rolleyes: is likely the cause of those double charges.

http://forums.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-7729-date-bug/

My post on that page will explain the details.

[quote name='WallBase' date='15 July 2009 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1247645824' post='1826483']
Well, i dont have any bugs on my board.. It's working perfect :)

That's a pretty ignorant statement. There are confirmed bugs and I'm sure still unknown ones.

Just because you're too ignorant not to notice them doesn't mean they don't exist.

I'm glad however to see Matt and the others working through them.

Great job.

• Management

Easy, tiger. I don't think name calling is required. :)

If you use PayPal, non-recurring and set up lifetime or permanent subscriptions and only get a few each month then the chances are you aren't affected by any bugs.

[quote name='envonge' date='15 July 2009 - 09:50 AM' timestamp='1247647819' post='1826493']
That's a pretty ignorant statement. There are confirmed bugs and I'm sure still unknown ones.

Just because you're too ignorant not to notice them doesn't mean they don't exist.

I'm glad however to see Matt and the others working through them.

Great job.

Your lucky your post is not on my board and you need to take lessons on how to be nice to people.

[quote name='PCG-Oldfart' date='15 July 2009 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1247659096' post='1826519']
Your lucky your post is not on my board and you need to take lessons on how to be nice to people.

I'm sure you would also not appreciate people spreading misinformation.

I could have handled it nicer however he/she could have written their post more accurately like saying "I haven't noticed any bugs. I think my board is perfect." instead of trying to state things as fact like he/she did "Well, i dont have any bugs on my board".

Clearly, there are bugs just take a look at the bug tracker...

[quote name='envonge' date='15 July 2009 - 08:30 AM' timestamp='1247661038' post='1826533']
I could have handled it nicer however he/she could have written their post more accurately like saying "I haven't noticed any bugs. I think my board is perfect." instead of trying to state things as fact like he/she did "Well, i dont have any bugs on my board".

Clearly, there are bugs just take a look at the bug tracker...

Your interpretation of what WallBase said is your own. I take it to mean that so far, he's had no problems with it so to him, it's working perfectly.

So how about calming down some, it was really unnecessary to call him ignorant.

In the words of Rodney King, "Can we all just get along?"

[quote name='WallBase' date='15 July 2009 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1247645824' post='1826483']
Well, i dont have any bugs on my board.. It's working perfect :)

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='15 July 2009 - 03:09 PM' timestamp='1247666970' post='1826571']
Your interpretation of what WallBase said is your own. I take it to mean that so far, he's had no problems with it so to him, it's working perfectly.

So how about calming down some, it was really unnecessary to call him ignorant.

In the words of Rodney King, "Can we all just get along?"

WallBase used “I” and “my”

Interpretation has nothing to do with it.

[quote name='bfarber' date='23 July 2009 - 01:15 AM' timestamp='1248308124' post='1831180']
Matt is planning on releasing the next beta tomorrow last I heard. :)

Okay thanks. While I understand these aren't concrete dates due to future circumstances, I still want to you ask in your opinion, how long would it take for final RC to be released, and afterward, the actual release? I will not hold you accountable if you're predictions do not come true. I would just like a rough timeline, say 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 5 weeks?

Thanks,
A.Neo

[quote name='Archon Neo' date='22 July 2009 - 09:36 PM' timestamp='1248312966' post='1831223']
Okay thanks. While I understand these aren't concrete dates due to future circumstances, I still want to you ask in your opinion, how long would it take for final RC to be released, and afterward, the actual release?

There is no "final RC". It's Beta, RC, Final. Matt's said that he's expecting it to be 2 betas, 1 RC and then final after that. I'm guessing at least a month from now before it's final. But that's just a guess.

Yea I get it. What I meant by final rc was just 1 rc (not 2 or more).

Beta, Beta, RC, Final. So this next beta will probably take 2 weeks I guess, then the rc about 2-3 weeks estimating to about 5 weeks. I wonder if that's accurate.

Well, it's possible that no bugs are reported for Beta2 (w00t) .

[quote name='Archon Neo' date='22 July 2009 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1248313950' post='1831235']
Yea I get it. What I meant by final rc was just 1 rc (not 2 or more).

Beta, Beta, RC, Final. So this next beta will probably take 2 weeks I guess, then the rc about 2-3 weeks estimating to about 5 weeks. I wonder if that's accurate.

Well, it's possible that no bugs are reported for Beta2 (w00t) .

It's better to say Beta 1, Beta 2, RC 1, Final, than to say "final rc". What if some major problems crop up during RC1? Then there could be an RC 2, making RC 1 not the final RC. Could just be me though. :P

If there are no reported bugs in Beta 2 (or extremely few bugs), then Matt might chuck it directly to Final. But I would imagine that for it to happen like that, then it would have to have been tested for at least 2 or 3 weeks by multiple people in multiple environments and having zilch on problems (except possibly display/cosmetic issues).

I'm looking forward to B2 so I can give it more toying with and see if I encounter any issues that I seem to be able to find in my rather odd ways. :D

[quote name='Myr' date='22 July 2009 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1248316288' post='1831257']
I hope the next beta is ready for production because time is money here. If you expect to keep sucking money out of me for services, then I need to make it so I can give it to you...

Betas are never intended for use on a live board. Basically, if you do, it's at your own risk and if anything goes powerfully wrong, then that's your own fault buddy.

The RC stage is when you still don't get official support but it's considered safe enough to use on a live board.

In short, Beta 2, I wouldn't recommend on a live board, but if you do it and it works for you, then awesome.

Archived