Final or RC3?

Wolfie

I'm not one to put off the release of Final (heck I'm a bit impatient myself), but with over 140 bugs listed and fixed on RC2 alone (not counting the ones still found in RC1 or before and are listed as being fixed now), I think it would be a good idea to have an RC3 release and then a week later (maybe 2 weeks) have final released.

My thought on this is that with all the bug fixes, it would give us all the ability to test out the RC's and the fixes one more time and to see if any new bugs developed from the fixes.

Obviously more bugs will be found and development can't continue forever but with over 140 fixes, I'm a bit worried that there will be an onslaught of bugs in Final, deeming it a rather premature release.

Obviously those at IPS are in a better position to make the decision on this than those outside of the loop. However, I'm just voicing my opinions and concerns on the matter, to provide feedback from a customers point of view.

:)

Unless anything incredibly horrible is uncovered, I think it's safe to say that final will be the next version.

We'll be giving "final" to the quality assurance team before it's released to catch anything that may have arisen from RC2 (and we've invited more people than normal to participate in this process for final).

At some point the plunge has to be made - we don't want an eternal beta.

I just worry about the subscriptions manager. It has yet to be tested by a larger audience, and is just going to be put into the final as is? I was hoping to see it in RC 2, and was going to give it a good test run (with small $1 transactions for example back and forth with someone).

[quote name='.Logan' date='21 June 2009 - 10:38 AM' timestamp='1245598729' post='1812198']
I just worry about the subscriptions manager. It has yet to be tested by a larger audience, and is just going to be put into the final as is? I was hoping to see it in RC 2, and was going to give it a good test run (with small $1 transactions for example back and forth with someone).

Deal with real money on a test thing? I wouldn't do that too risky for me. I think paypal I know has some sort of debug things you can do with "fake" money.

[quote name='edivad' date='21 June 2009 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1245619836' post='1812284']
PS: i love the new feature incrase decrase editor size, usefull!

I prefer if it doesn't take an entire row just for 2 arrows. :( Why not place at the top right with the other buttons?

If we released an RC3, we'd just repeat the process. Everyone would find and report bugs in RC3, which we'd spend time fixing, then we'd get to the point where it's like "ok, we fixed over a hundred bugs in RC3, we should do RC4 just to make sure it's stable enough to be final".

As someone else said, you take the plunge eventually. There WILL be a 3.0.1. ;)

[quote name='bfarber' date='22 June 2009 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1245681363' post='1812453']
If we released an RC3, we'd just repeat the process. Everyone would find and report bugs in RC3, which we'd spend time fixing, then we'd get to the point where it's like "ok, we fixed over a hundred bugs in RC3, we should do RC4 just to make sure it's stable enough to be final".

As someone else said, you take the plunge eventually. There WILL be a 3.0.1. ;)

Was only expressing my thoughts on it to provide feedback. :)

Someone joked that IPS might release it on June 30th to keep some sort of a promise. Is there an effort being made to do it before June ends (specifically) or just the usual effort to try to get it out soon but no planned date as of yet?

• Management

Regarding the subscriptions manager: it is a separate application and can be released independently of IP.Board 3.

Think of it this way: you could wait for two weeks for IPB 3 + SM or we could release IPB 3 and SM two weeks after. Either way, those that need the subscriptions manager will have to wait two weeks.

Note: "two weeks" is for illustrative purposes only and is not a written-in-stone release schedule.

I have been working hard on the subscriptions manager and it's almost done and ready for testing.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='22 June 2009 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1245682402' post='1812459']
Was only expressing my thoughts on it to provide feedback. :)

Someone joked that IPS might release it on June 30th to keep some sort of a promise. Is there an effort being made to do it before June ends (specifically) or just the usual effort to try to get it out soon but no planned date as of yet?

I find it amusing how Brandon saying something along the lines of "I'd quite like to have this finished by the end of June" has become "we promise it will be finished by the end of June" :P
We never said it would be ready by the end of June ;)

[quote name='Μark' date='22 June 2009 - 11:06 AM' timestamp='1245683194' post='1812470']
I find it amusing how Brandon saying something along the lines of "I'd quite like to have this finished by the end of June" has become "we promise it will be finished by the end of June" :P
We never said it would be ready by the end of June ;)

Which is why I asked. Rather get a definite word one way or the other and know the facts. :) Thank you for clearing that up.

• Management

[quote name='Bono' date='22 June 2009 - 12:14 PM' timestamp='1245687267' post='1812486']
Removing subscriptions manager from IPB is like shooting yourself into your own leg. You are getting money which our customers pay us via subscriptions manager.

Aaaaaaaaaactually making Subscriptions Manager an application of IPB will allow us to greatly improve it later this year independently of IPB's release schedule. SM will come out very soon after IPB3's first supported release and will be updated much like Blog/Gallery/etc. are as its own application.

[quote name='Bono' date='22 June 2009 - 12:14 PM' timestamp='1245687267' post='1812486']
Removing subscriptions manager from IPB is like shooting yourself into your own leg. You are getting money which our customers pay us via subscriptions manager.

It's not removed, it's simply been turned into an application and is independent from the board. I see the major benefit being that it doesn't have to be added, so boards that don't/won't use it don't have to worry with it at all.

Another benefit is that it can be worked on separately and (if I'm not mistaken) be handled by the IPS Resources group, making it open to more development and able to have more options included. There won't be a need to wait for a new major release of IPB in order to get a new/updated IP.Subscription (or IP.Income/IP.PayMe/IP.Greed or whatever it'll be called) application. Also, it will be coming out, as Matt already stated:
[quote name='Matt' date='22 June 2009 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1245682641' post='1812462']
Regarding the subscriptions manager: it is a separate application and can be released independently of IP.Board 3.

Think of it this way: you could wait for two weeks for IPB 3 + SM or we could release IPB 3 and SM two weeks four years after. Either way, those that need the subscriptions manager will have to wait two weeks four years.

Note:
I changed the amount of time in the quote so that people can shut up about "You said this" or "You said that" about when something will be released.

If it's that important that someone give you money, they can do it directly and then you grant them access and then when the IP.MakeMeRich application comes out, you can just update their accounts in there manually.

So what would you all recommend? Should I take a plunge and upgrade to 3.0 RC2 now and just make the updates required for 3.0 Final? or should I just wait for 3.0 Final? I really want to decide this week as my access to internet is going to be limited starting next month (which is next week, yikes!) and I don't know if I want to keep the old board the way it is since I really love the changes made for IP. Board 3.0.

Any help you all can provide is appreciated.

• Management

Regarding the subscriptions manager. I'd like to point out that all of us at IPS take it very seriously and no one here wants to see it neglected. We realise that many of you monitize your forums using the SM so we have no plans to remove it or make it a poor cousin.

Our immediate plans are:

- Refactor the subscriptions manager from 2.3.6 to 3.0.0 [Done]
- Tidy up the ACP interface [Done]
- Fix reported issues with expiring subscriptions, upgrades and PayPal [Done]
- Write hooks and add settings [To Do]
- Release to QA [To Do]
- Release Beta / RC [To Do]

I spent most of last week and identified and fixed several issues. Most of which can be back-ported to 2.3.6. More details to follow.

[quote name='superstrikertwo' date='22 June 2009 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1245709838' post='1812701']
SM will be free right?

It will cost about $275...

Okay not really, that's just the cost to remove the copyright information from the board. ;)

Archived