Site REALLY Slow!

dieselpowered

I find this site is often slow and noticeably slower than my site which runs on a dedicated server. If I was IPS I would want this forum to run as fast as possible so that prospective customers having a look at IPB weren't put off thinking that the software is slow when in fact the problem is almost certainly the hosting. From time to time IPS have said things may be slow as they doing some maintenance. Fair enough but they can't be doing maintenance that often.

Nigel / 3DKiwi

[quote name='chasz' date='09 June 2009 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1244603036' post='1808710']
lol they shouldnt even have installed beta version on their main products: brave or stupidity? :P

they should have just set up the beta site like they once had it.

Honestly, the site had very few errors, and I was all over here when they upgraded, just goes to show they release GOOD software :P

Why setup a beta when the customers can see first hand what they can expect from a beta release? It really did have few issues, and what better way to test the software than to have prospective buyers/forum admins test it in mass numbers.

I would show off my hard months of work this way too, I think it's a more personalized approach with the customers. :thumbsup:

The site is running quite nicely for me. In fact, I was going to post something about this yesterday. The server resource stats, since we made some changes 1-2 weeks ago, have actually been better than they were on 2.3 at many times. e.g. yesterday with over 700 users online, the load was around 2, the CPU usage was at 16-30%, and we had 900MB available memory (out of 6GB, but mysql runs on the same box as apache here). That's better than it was frequently on 2.3.

What browser are you using? I just recently (like 2 days ago) switched from Firefox to Safari and the site has been blazing for me since. Firefox 3.0's javascript handling seems to be quite horrible compared to it's competitors.

And yes, for the past 2-3 days we have had debug code running on the server to log topic markers for some users, so things may be slower at times due to that.

We always update our company forums with the beta release before releasing it to customers. You just can't catch the same things in a test environment that you can catch in a live environment such as this. 30 users online compared to 700. 10,000 topics compared to 600,000. You get a big difference in resource usage with differences like that, which is necessary.

Still maybe it's time to get better server. This slow downs are not due browser but software or hardware.
This topic took 5.2809 sec to generate.

You can enable at bottom load value so we can see load of box, I tried to browse the forums 2 topics are fast ~0.5 to generate, and then few are slow.

I just loaded this page and using the developer tools in Safari it took 2.20 seconds. The HTML itself was generated and downloaded from the server in 996ms. That's pretty fast if you ask me. Took less than 1 second to generate this entire page with round 500 users online.

I simply am not seeing regular 10 second page loads. Sure, once in a while something might get hung up, or we might get a spike in traffic, or someone might try to DOS us, or someone might do a particularly intensive search, and so on - but on the whole the speeds seem just fine to me. :unsure: Slow page loads, here, are the exception and not the rule.

How many cores 4 or 8? If is 4 that load is so so, if is 8 that is better. If I have to choose i would say it's hardware because slow downs are so random, and if I visit on non busy hours I do not experience any problems.

It's not a very good tool for this sort of thing, however. ;) You see, once you make a request to the page, your browser caches images, javascript and CSS files which is 4/5 of the load time that site reports. When I do the same tests using built in browser tools (such as YSlow or Safari's Resources monitor) the results are drastically different.

As for your earlier question, I have no idea how many cores. I don't know too much about the hardware on the box tbh, as it's not really my domain. We have other employees that maintain the hardware aspect of things.

16 queries - 0.61 seconds - earlier it were about 0.10 seconds.
On my 2.3.6 board with 500 users online I don't reach 0.10 for viewing topic or forum so why do we have 0.6 to 2.5 seconds to generate page? I count only data provided from board debug statistics
It's easily visible that this site is much, much slower than my server that I figh with it that was very slow - I hope You remember this fights and argues

• Management

I'm going to switch that debug bar off. People just obsess over it.

Refresh. ooh x.xx secods.
Refresh. ooh, faster.
Refresh. Oh, a bit slower.

Etc.

Guys, we are on a VPS with other sites. We routinely have 500+ users online. We are being spidered heavily. Expecting loads of under 1 and load times of under 500ms is unrealistic on this forum.

Just wait and see how it does on your own server. And if it's 100ms slower, don't worry about it there are worse things in the world.

I doubt it's the software. This site here has often been slow in the past and even when they were using 2.3.6 like what the rest of us are using now. Much more likely to be a hosting issue. Version 3 should be as quick as 2.3 was perhaps even quicker as there's been a lot of code tidying up done.

Nigel / 3DKiwi

Blimey. You're still on a VPS. You've got more traffic and members than my busy site with 19,000 members and I run on a dedicated server. I'm staggered. Prospective IPB customers are likely browsing this forum. I wonder how many have been put off by the slow speed?

Nigel / 3DKiwi

I think there is something wrong. OK, I try to explain what is suspicious.

Read some text in any post and double click on random desired word, like this:

25s3iu9.png

On other sites when I double click on word it's marked in cca 0,2 second. But here when I double click on word I have to wait 1,5 second and then is word marked. Why??

I believe you understand what I mean.

Archived