Site REALLY Slow!

dieselpowered

For me the site is running fast like any other site i am using i mac pro well i think it is normal .. could it be your internet connection or your computer is overheating lagging or anything well i am using safari... actually at first i taught that firefox was great but after awhile i said not let me tell you this guys download internet explorer 8 its even faster than firefox in comparison.And the browser open faster too.Well i dont know a lot about opera cause i dont think it is good cause it has to load everything cause you have this *theme* so get safari its so fast

For the most part it's standard PHP/Apache/MySQL compiles. We didn't really do anything magical to them, just gave the forums it's own kingdom and free reign over it. The old forums were sharing a box that was already quite busy.

I'm curious as to why IPB3 is slower too.

I've let it do its caches, I've tried XCache (breaks css) but it helps only marginal.

I've had some of the fastest IP.Board's .0300 sec generation on most pages on IPB 2.3, everyone on IPB3 is atleast .1

I'd of thought IPB3 with it's fully OOP/PHP5 design/overhaul over the old code would perform MUCH faster.

dieselpowered, the United States Government issued a warning against the use of Internet Explorer browsers, in gov buildings I've noticed they don't tend to use IE anymore.

I used to make my sites not work for IE versions, but regardless always suggest Firefox or Opera (Firefox is pretty crappy these days but for most people it's golden, it eats over a gig of ram for me though :( )

IE8 takes like 30 seconds just to open for me, I only use it for windows updates.

Try the firefox beta, renders IPB3 JS even quicker then normal firefox...

but no it's the actual execution of IPB3 that is slow, on every test instance since the first ioncube beta I tried it has executed SLOWLY and I don't get why... I enjoyed having IPB2 boards load in less then 1 second.

[quote name='crafty55' date='15 June 2009 - 03:54 AM' timestamp='1245034442' post='1810106']
I'm curious as to why IPB3 is slower too.

I've let it do its caches, I've tried XCache (breaks css) but it helps only marginal.

I've had some of the fastest IP.Board's .0300 sec generation on most pages on IPB 2.3, everyone on IPB3 is atleast .1

I'd of thought IPB3 with it's fully OOP/PHP5 design/overhaul over the old code would perform MUCH faster.

Generation time on mine 0.0208 sec for index page.

[quote name='envonge' date='14 June 2009 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1245036739' post='1810123']
Generation time on mine 0.0208 sec for index page.

IPB3?

# 0.1695 sec

w/out shoutbox and sidebar crap it's maybe .03 less, this is on a highly tuned server setup that has enough power to run 10 ipb boards with 100s of members online and millions of posts/topics per forum...

[quote name='crafty55' date='15 June 2009 - 05:13 AM' timestamp='1245039238' post='1810131']
IPB3?

# 0.1695 sec

w/out shoutbox and sidebar crap it's maybe .03 less, this is on a highly tuned server setup that has enough power to run 10 ipb boards with 100s of members online and millions of posts/topics per forum...

Running ipb 3 rc1 with sidebars on a low-end server with no tuning.

And to think, we could have silenced you all just by moving the site. :rolleyes:

In all fairness though, having the site on the other server helped us to really identify a lot of the issues causing slowdowns because we were looking into the speed constantly. We've made tons of optimizations to 3.0 just from debugging and profiling on the other server.

If it was running this fast since then, we probably wouldn't have bothered. :whistle:

[quote name='bfarber' date='15 June 2009 - 07:02 AM' timestamp='1245078159' post='1810251']
In all fairness though, having the site on the other server helped us to really identify a lot of the issues causing slowdowns because we were looking into the speed constantly. We've made tons of optimizations to 3.0 just from debugging and profiling on the other server.

As some business related feedback - I would strongly urge you not to make the mistake of allowing these performance issues to linger in a public setting. I was beginning to conclude that maybe IPB was not fast, robust product that Vbulletin is, and I was second guessing my decision to move my sites to IPB.

Fast now though, and I am relieved about that :)

We pretty much always put our early pre-final releases on these forums in order to test, profile and discover issues that you just can't nail down in a development environment. I mean, I don't have half a million posts and 500 users online on my localhost - it's sometimes not possible to see that there is an issue with a feature until you put it in a live environment.

Nevertheless, I think we can all agree that the server move has cleared up the speed issues (which we've told everyone to stop worrying about until final anyways) quite a bit so hopefully this feedback has been addressed now. :)

Archived