This IPB3 skin is not good

awaisuk

[quote name='awaisuk' date='10 May 2009 - 03:13 AM' timestamp='1241921586' post='1800718']
This IPB3 skin is not good

Will there be a better looking skin for IPB 3? because this one is not that good. Its not easy to read the main page and forums description.

If you aren't even going to say what's so bad about the skin then there's no point to this thread.

[quote name='awaisuk' date='10 May 2009 - 03:13 AM' timestamp='1241921586' post='1800718']Its not easy to read the main page and forums description.

I don't know what you're having problems with, it seems fine for me. Could you be more specific?

(And you can also make your own skin or buy a different one..)

Looks nice enough to me (1680x1050), if its so hideous then make a better one and enter it in the skin competition.

Its personal preference and "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" so unless you make a better one in a general opinion stop with the IPS Bashing :D.

We can understand that some people won't like the default skin - as said, it's impossible to please everyone, and for that reason, we will be shipping two skins with IPB 3 though, the second will be whichever skin wins the contest, so make sure you cast your vote for a skin that you do like ;)

Of course, if you have any specific feedback on how we can make the current default skin better, we'd love to hear it :)

Have to say I'm not that keen on it either. It looks okay but functionality wise I preferred how 2.3.6 worked and I think some members will complain about it being harder to use. For example the following things annoy me:

1. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page to mark forums read.

2. Can't find "My Assistant". Do we still have it?

3. Everything seems to take up more room.

4. No "My Albums" link anymore

Sure I fix a few of these myself with some skin edits but it amazes me that IPS thinks it's progress putting the "Mark Board As Read" link at the bottom of the page. I want to make my site easy fr people to use not make it harder. I won't be upgrading until the couple of Skins by Dragonfly that I use are upgraded. There's no way I could throw this default skin at them even with a few edits.

My 2 cents.

3DKiwi

[quote name='Marcvs_merged' date='10 May 2009 - 07:05 AM' timestamp='1241935557' post='1800733']Its personal preference and "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
Or perhaps "Let he who doesn't like the skin create his own"?

[quote name='rct2dotcom' date='10 May 2009 - 10:08 AM' timestamp='1241946519' post='1800739']
Or perhaps "Let he who doesn't like the skin create his own"?

Precisely, If you really don't like it that much and aren't even willing to give ONE reason why then perhaps you can enter the skin contest and make a better one which we can all use ;)

[quote name='3DKiwi' date='10 May 2009 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1241946412' post='1800738']
Have to say I'm not that keen on it either. It looks okay but functionality wise I preferred how 2.3.6 worked and I think some members will complain about it being harder to use. For example the following things annoy me:

1. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page to mark forums read.

2. Can't find "My Assistant". Do we still have it?

4. No "My Albums" link anymore

Sure I fix a few of these myself with some skin edits but it amazes me that IPS thinks it's progress putting the "Mark Board As Read" link at the bottom of the page. I want to make my site easy fr people to use not make it harder. I won't be upgrading until the couple of Skins by Dragonfly that I use are upgraded. There's no way I could throw this default skin at them even with a few edits.

My 2 cents.

3DKiwi

1. The mark entire board as read? It was always at the bottom :blink:
2. Gone
3. That's a fair enough point... things are bigger.
4. Click your name and then "My Gallery"

1024x768 makes the skin start look funky and humongous. Things start to go to the next line and some things squished. But I don't personally have that small of a screen (just was using one while my system was completely down). But personally didn't make me not like the skin. I love it.

I know I won't be using it as is of course because I can't have a banner like that but I really like this skin better then the previous versions skin.

The Mark Board as read link is at the bottom in V3 and at the top in V2 and much more conveniently located. Do I need to post screengrabs to prove it? I have seen other people here complain about it.

Mystery solved about My Assistant.

3DKiwi

[quote name='Putzу' date='10 May 2009 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1241979379' post='1800804']
As far as I remember, the link was always at the bottom, just above the board statistics....

Yup, that's where it is.

Maybe 3DKiwi is talking about the View New Content page instead? On 2.3.x there was a link to mark the forums as read up top but it's at the bottom on this skin.

[quote name='3DKiwi' date='10 May 2009 - 04:06 AM' timestamp='1241946412' post='1800738']1. You have to scroll to the bottom of the page to mark forums read.

1) Should be easy enough to move or copy to another place.

3) Some of the changes via the beta process have made this better. A reasonable amount of narrowing of the browser window would show errors early on, but it's gotten better. I still wonder how well the default IPB 3 skin looks on an 8.9" netbook because they're selling in huge numbers, but I guess it's something I can tweak on my own.

[quote name='No1 1000' date='10 May 2009 - 12:21 PM' timestamp='1241979710' post='1800807']
nobody else has noticed that that link is still right where it used to be?

Which link?

----------

And on the subject I am not to keen on the theme either, but I do not fully dislike it; I am getting used to it though..

[quote name='Μark' date='10 May 2009 - 03:29 AM' timestamp='1241940576' post='1800735']
Of course, if you have any specific feedback on how we can make the current default skin better, we'd love to hear it smile.gif

My personal request is on the 'View New Content" screen along with the icon change for read content also have the link color change as before. I find that (to me anyway) quicker to scan what I've read.

Well I must need my eyes testing. The Mark messages as read is shown here in the attachment with the IPB Pro skin after clicking on the view new posts link. I can't see it anywhere near the top with V3. Yes it is at the bottom in 2.3 if you just look at the forum view but many people will be like me and browse forums by selecting the "View new posts" link.

I also mentioned the lack of the My Gallery link. I've just tried uploading an image to my gallery here. It now takes an extra step to post an image. Previously the most common way would be to:

1. Click on "My Album"
2. Click on your member name on the last submitted image
3. That takes you to your gallery and you have the upload new content buttons.

But now in V3:

1. Select My Profile from the drop down at the top right hand side
2. Click on the Gallery tab
3. Click on an image or on the image title
4. Move up in the navigation link one place by clicking on your name e.g. select 3DKiwi from Invision Power Services>Gallery>Member's Gallery>3DKiwi>Photo Title
5. Finally you get to the same place as step 3 above.

If someone knows a quicker way then I'd be very pleased to hear it. The method I just described in V3 will be beyond many people to figure out.

Nigel / 3DKiwi

[quote name='Μark' date='10 May 2009 - 09:29 AM' timestamp='1241940576' post='1800735']
we will be shipping two skins with IPB 3 though, the second will be whichever skin wins the contest, so make sure you cast your vote for a skin that you do like ;)

Does it mean that current 2.3.x skins won't be included and/or supported?

[quote name='3DKiwi' date='11 May 2009 - 04:56 AM' timestamp='1242014217' post='1800880']
The method I just described in V3 will be beyond many people to figure out.

No one(visitors) will ever able to understand and figure out WHY change the design so drastically on live board.

Archived