New Topic / Add reply for 3.0

Guest Danno 61

Here would be a feature that would clean the boards up tremendously.

If a user does not have permission to start a new topic (or add a reply) in a forum. Don't have the buttons appear to do this. This would cut down on end users getting error message when clicking these buttons.

Bottom line is if someone is allowed to post or add a reply, the buttons would show. If they don't have permission, buttons won't show. Simple and squeaky clean. :)

The other thing is that if a forum is read only, take the buttons out from this forum also, clean and no confusion.

The question is? How possible is it to add this feature? :blink:

Thanks Andy. This is another thing relating to this topic.

Why not change Add Reply to Add comment.

The only reason I suggest this is because most sites that are not message boards usually say "Add a comment" or "Add comment". To me it seems like current internet lingo is "add comment". It almost seems like add a reply seems antique... kinda.

That is just my opinion. I am not insinuating that IPB is antique in anyway... just some input. :)

Danno

This would be great! Especially the "add comment" instead of "add reply" thingy.
This would be much nicer in my opinion. But, what do I know? I've had 2 blonde
moments this week already, and I'm a red head! :lol:

not only is comment a longer word requiring a larger button, but a reply actually makes more sense, you may not just be commenting on what was said, but asking a question or giving your opinion, etc, all of which are in reply to the original thread topic. reply makes more sense than anything.

im not against the buttons being absent if the user doesn't have the permissions, but i would think one try would be enough to make members stop trying to post where they arent allowed, heck it would probably triple the trouble ticket of "OMG why cant i post!!111" and PM's to mods than an error message explaining they don't have permission to post there.

just my 2 cents

Actually, you have a good point. We can just change the text on the "Add Reply" button to "Add Comment" in our individual skins if we don't like it to say "Add Reply".

See...
Another blonde moment!
And I'm a skin designer!
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!

Good input... I now wish I had not said anything about the comment, because it really is irrelevant (almost). Going back to the original topic of this post, I am glad to see the response.

I also have to say this... though.

We have a lot of small mods that are good on all these boards. I think it would be a great feature to add a list of Yes and No buttons in ACP (for a lot of these mods) Birthday without year showing is a great example. Friends is another. the lst goes on...

I actually think that doing this one feature would cut down moderators work on their boards and a lot of posts on boards like this one where the same questions are asked over and over and over.

Please see another topic I posted on the Yes No issue. Click here

I have a board that is primarily people over 30 years old. This group is getting much more active (on the internet), and will surely grow in the future. My philosophy is to keep things simple, and if people want all the extreme bells and whistles... go for it :)

We have so many features and technology coming out. Why not just add these mods as standard yes no features, and by creating less confusion with less error messages which is frustrating for many especially if they are new or even intermediate on the net.

I have been adding mods and using this system since 2.0 and it gets old having to recreate and add mods everytime there is an upgrade. Why not start making things simple... simple... and simple... and still have the extreems to the ones who want extremes. Everyone is happy :)

Sooooooo. If someone goes into a topic area and their is no topic button or reply button, and no quote buttons...so be it. We also have a nice little rules area directly above all forums to let someone know what is happening in that forum, and most skins have an icon showing it as read only in the forum view.

not only is comment a longer word requiring a larger button, but a reply actually makes more sense, you may not just be commenting on what was said, but asking a question or giving your opinion, etc, all of which are in reply to the original thread topic. reply makes more sense than anything.

im not against the buttons being absent if the user doesn't have the permissions, but i would think one try would be enough to make members stop trying to post where they arent allowed, heck it would probably triple the trouble ticket of "OMG why cant i post!!111" and PM's to mods than an error message explaining they don't have permission to post there.

just my 2 cents

I disagree, the buttons should still show.

I have been to forums that have this feature and find it much more confusing because you spend time looking for the reply button. If you don't have permission to post, you need to know that, not give the impression that that posting is not an option at all.
It's like when a topic is closed the reply button is replaced by the closed icon to demonstrate why the user cannot reply.

I disagree using "comment" word as it sounds a bit like a blog entry.

I agree with buttons thingy but not completely. Why:

Throwing out all the buttons from the screen may look a bit odd, so why don't we use "disabled button" effect instead of it? Something similar to this:

If you are allowed to start a new topic:
t_new.gif

If you are not allowed to start a new topic:
post-97001-1210413146.png

• Management

I think we'll likely just show another button when you don't have permission to reply. Removing the button is not an option unless there is some message telling the user they cannot reply.

I sincerely think this is the bottom line. For all developers to start looking at board technology from a brand new internet users point of view. Whether it is a new board owner (licensee) or first time user of the board. I sincerely think simple is the answer. The reality is that someone could/will blow this technology out of the water within a couple of years and if it happens it will be for one reason only... and it is described in one word.

SIMPLE ;)

I sincerely think multiple options with a yes and no option in tools and setting and/or in permission masks, and in custom fields would do the trick. I think profile view has way to many bells and whistles that add to user confusion and new designer (newbies) confusion.

Just a simple list with Yes or No options (for everything). Please click here

This would make some boards look naked (almost empty as far as features (and simple)) and some boards full of features that make the designers of options and mods mouths dripping with saliva happy also.

Bottom line is a list of clickable options that applies to all and will leave new users posting and coming back, and advanced gurus planning and designing. The most important thing would be less work on future upgrades for designers and keeping end users coming back because when they "CLICK" something real happens and it is simple to understand.

I think the simple approach would be designers (board webmasters) doing clickity click, click in ACP. And end users clicking and coming back. I think this would also cut down tremendously on support boards getting posts because it is so simple it is ridiculous.

This includes the issues like buttons described in this topic.

SIMPLE

Let me give you a prime example: STOP and look at what you see right now in the surrounding of what you are viewing. Look at the immediate surroundings of what you are viewing when you are posting??? This will send a lot of end users running. The reason is that a lot of people are not patient enough (some would say lazy) to learn anything.

So, what do you do about it? We can grumble and complain and have designer attitudes. That is all well.

But the end user will go to where they have simple and one click results whether we like it or not.

We need to start thinking simple on both sides of the fence. The end result may be that some day you will have 10,000 modders sitting in an antique board (showing 1000 features) (gloating and thinking they have the newest technology out there) talking about the old days with designed boards that are so feature packed and complicated that the only ones being attracted is other people (modders) from their category. Meanwhile other technologies have blown them out of the water and all the other people are right next door on the internet using technology that may be simple, quick, understandable and in a flash on the end user side and webmaster (designer) side.

Hey Professor, thanks for input.

Here is a case in point.

You do not agree , I may disagree. If we had options. we could still do it our way, and everyone is happy even though we disagree? :)

Simple and settled.

I [b]disagree[/b], the buttons should still show.

I have been to forums that have this feature and find it much more confusing because you spend time looking for the reply button. If you don't have permission to post, you need to know that, not give the impression that that posting is not an option at all.

It's like when a topic is closed the reply button is replaced by the closed icon to demonstrate why the user cannot reply.

Hi Mark, this feature is already (error message) standard. It even comes with a custom message option (forum settings) if you like.

I think the buttons should stay in, but when you press them you just get a message box pop up saying that you don't have permission to create threads (or are Javascript message boxes considered old fashioned now? :P )

Archived