IPS Company Forums 403 Forbidden Error

Guest Brandon C

Whenever I try to access the IPS Company Forums, I get a 403 Forbidden Error every so often. It's been happening all throughout the day for me today.

I don't know what the problem is, either.

It is very aggravating, too, because now I am getting it every couple of minutes and keep having to refresh, and when I do, the forums are all messed up and everything!

Note to IPS: See Ticket: #303861 for more details.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

I do understand it's frustrating and assure you it's temporary. These forums are often victim to DoS attacks around the time of releases and this time is no exception (your guess is as good as mine in terms of who has such an axe to grind)

The system is currently set to drop you if you request X number of pages in X number of seconds (I don't have the values handy at the moment) -- it has no way of knowing if a client is performing a DoS attack or is simply an anxious browser.

We'll tweak the settings a bit more and in the meantime, hang in there. :)

I do understand it's frustrating and assure you it's temporary. These forums are often victim to DoS attacks around the time of releases and this time is no exception (your guess is as good as mine in terms of who has such an axe to grind)

The system is currently set to drop you if you request X number of pages in X number of seconds (I don't have the values handy at the moment) -- it has no way of knowing if a client is performing a DoS attack or is simply an anxious browser.

Thanks for the reply, Lindy, I appreciate it! :)

Sorry about the ticket and the topic, I won't do it in the future, I apologize. :blush:

10 in 5 seconds should be better :) I don't generally tab that many at once. And if I do get the error, a refresh makes it go back to normal (I suppose by the time I get to read whats on that tab, it's like a minute later)

Interesting protection system, is it some form of Apache module? or some external software that does it?

We have a combination of things to combat various attacks from hardware to this, which is mod_evasive... an apache module. As you can see, it is quite effective. :)

It's so effective it keeps me out half the time. But I suppose sometimes that's a good thing :whistle:

What happened today? Both these forums and IPSBeyond were un-responsive.

And what affect does it have on us? Nawt much to be honest, we can live a few hours without the forums since we have our boards to play with :P Effectivley, the hackers loose out :P

Wish I had that. Although luckily I havent been DOS attacked in a long time. But these 2 morons kept doing it a lot at one point.

Archived