New Fast Reply

Guest Keven Fox

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To clarify on my early statement: the fast reply box is egregiously huge. It's far too tall, which leads to annoying extra scrolling to get to the "post" button. Moreover, the extra width and height leads to a huge, unnecessary wealth of white space, especially when not using the rich text editor (can you even use it in the quick reply?). The redesign is fine, but what's the point of the size increase?

Finally, this new giant block of white in the middle of the screen is quite distracting when viewing a thread which one doesn't intend to reply in. I'm not exactly sure why it's more distracting or annoying than the previous one was, but I find it to be far more so.

Okay this is odd. On some topics when I click the topic title I see the post, but on MOST of them it takes me way past the post to the fast reply box.

This is really annoying too. Opening a thread and immediately being directed to a giant blank box instead of the first post is frustrating.

I really don't like the AJAX fast replies, because I use the fast reply to type longer posts. Usually I only use the RTE editor when I need to upload attachments. So by the time I've finished replying uisng quick reply, someone else could have replied to the topic and I wouldn't know until I'd view the forum topic listing because when it's submitted through AJAX the page isn't refreshed.

This is would you could do:

- When the page loads, load the post id of the last post on the page you are viewing. Also store the number of posts on the page, and the max number of posts per page.
- When you complete your "fast reply" it would submit the post to the database. If there are less posts on the page than the max AND if current post id equals the one sotred in the JavaScript variable, then add the users posts to the end using JavaScript. If either of these are not true, do a simple page refresh like it normally does (after the post is added via javascript). So to put it simply, it would only append the users post to the end when nothing has changed and there is enough room for it at the end. If there isnt, it does it's normal refresh function.

Of course, IPS are going to be given a hard time if they back-track on the AJAX fast reply front, because Jelsoft have beaten them to it, so naturally everyone will start whining that "your copying lol" or something along those lines.

Who cares? Really? Jelsoft has copied bigger features than this from IPS, and their members believe that they had it first. Truth is it really shouldn't matter. If it's good enough, add it. If it's a waste of time, don't. Simple as that.

I don't get why non-staff aren't allowed to use the reason for editing thing. We have reasons too :'(

Yeah... Would also like to see the "Edit By Legend" and it combined. Doesnt make to much sense to keep them seperated... Oh well...

Basically I think that the more AJAX the better. Fast Reply, marking forums as read whatever.... on one site I frequent that has vB I'm always astounded when I post a fast reply and voila my post is there lol so I don't see how it's not even being thought of?

Who cares? Really? Jelsoft has copied bigger features than this from IPS, and their members believe that they had it first. Truth is it really shouldn't matter. If it's good enough, add it. If it's a waste of time, don't. Simple as that.

Yes, I know, which was why I included my parody of the typical idiot fanboy at the end of the post to denote that other people would say it.

Basically I think that the more AJAX the better. Fast Reply, marking forums as read whatever.... on one site I frequent that has vB I'm always astounded when I post a fast reply and voila my post is there lol so I don't see how it's not even being thought of?

I don't think IPB should become overloaded with AJAX, but I would like to see Fast Reply use it to a degree.

That said, I do like the enhancements already made to Fast Reply! :D

I love it, think it's an awesome improvement. Good stuff.

And in a minute I'm going to try the reason for edit thing :lol:

*Edit: Okay... how'd you do that one? :blush: Only staff can do it then...

Yes, I believe the "reason for editing" feature can only be used by staff. I didn't see any option in the ACP to do it per user group, which would have been nice. :rolleyes:

Isn't it odd that fast reply has the Insert hyperlink and image buttons whereas the full editors doesn't? :huh:

I just noticed that. It is a bit odd, but I take it that these are the most used options in Fast Reply, which would warrant dedicated buttons.

I love everything about the new fast reply, except I think it's just a little too wide and tall. Smilies panel rules, as does everything else!

However, it should use AJAX. It would be simple enough to set it up to load all new posts to the thread at the time before it shows the users' post.

Also, quick edit box takes quite a while to load, and the complete/cancel buttons should be returned to their original positions.

I love everything about the new fast reply, except I think it's just a little too wide and tall. Smilies panel rules, as does everything else!

However, it should use AJAX. It would be simple enough to set it up to load all new posts to the thread at the time before it shows the users' post.

Also, quick edit box takes quite a while to load, and the complete/cancel buttons should be returned to their original positions.

1) You can edit the size of the text editors via the CSS in the ACP.
2) I agree that AJAX should be used.

The fast reply is now a tiny bit 'shorter' when it initially loads. IE will also now stop jumping straight to it on a page load where it's open and the tab index is now fixed.

Firefox also is jumpy, but I'm not sure if it still is after the fix. It doesn't seem to be, but I haven't been paying enough attention to be sure. The height change is great.

Archived