V3 - When is it ready?

Guest Beatrina

Its realy unbelievable ... i think i am not allone, when i am saying ... developement is slowly.
I am here from the beginning. Good old days.
Its funny, long time ago Matt wrote all the code alone... fast and smooth... and it was free .....now many people are working here...you have to pay for it ... and ? hmmm

I love invsion ..., but i am not happy with the development ... i should look around what the others are doing in that long time...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does IPS need to rush? If you want a good, stable product, you need to be patient. Why would they release an unstable product then keep updating it every x number of days/weeks? They would rather combine new features/bug fixes into one good release because they wouldn't want to do that. It's a waste of time, and a lot of customers absolutely abhor using modifications on one release, then having to delete and reinstall them for the new version.

I personally think the development of all IPS products are fine. As long as you have a good, working, and very stable version of their software, there's no reason to rush them.

I personally think the development of all IPS products are fine. As long as you have a good, working, and very stable version of their software, there's no reason to rush them.

I am not with you. There are a still a lot bugs since last release. Most of them will be fixed in 2.3. This is very late. Knowing bugs should be fixed immediatley. Remember we are paying for this software.
I don

ITS DONE!!! didn't anyone tell you? its already began the beta testing over on a private ips hosting area which is restricted to access of ip's only for the testers so its pretty tight lipped but i've seen previews and ITS LOOKING TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

I agree. I don't see any competitors offering anything substantially better. IPS has released a lot of point releases 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 that have slowly built on the features.

I do agree with beatrina's comment of buginess in IPB 2.2, but it looks like 2.3 will take care of it. We should have relatively stable boards for a while. If i had to do it all over again, i would never have installed 2.2 and skipped straight to 2.3.

Regarding 3.0 and IDM..... I doubt a stable build of IDM will out before late 2008. I also doubt a stable build of IPB 3.0 will be out before late 2009. By stable, i mean relatively bug free with the kinks worked out. (probably one or two point releases after the final builds). Could be even longer if they run into major problems during the releases and beta.

ITS DONE!!! didn't anyone tell you? its already began the beta testing over on a private ips hosting area which is restricted to access of ip's only for the testers so its pretty tight lipped but i've seen previews and ITS LOOKING TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

So, then send me some awesome screenshots ;)

Why does IPS need to rush? If you want a good, stable product, you need to be patient. Why would they release an unstable product then keep updating it every x number of days/weeks? They would rather combine new features/bug fixes into one good release because they wouldn't want to do that. It's a waste of time, and a lot of customers absolutely abhor using modifications on one release, then having to delete and reinstall them for the new version.

They just recently released 2.2.x, and they do wait to release stable products, but every application has bugs.

Vbulletin releases updates every 3 weeks almost, so I am not sure what your point is, Invision waits for 100+ bugs sometimes before making a update release.

We have been working on 2.3 for some time, however rather than release it with known bugs (to the extent possible) we have tried to "get it right". There's not a ton of changes in 2.3, but there are a lot of resource improvements - and those take time. Details on this are in our blog.

When IPB first started it was easy to put out constant updates. With a new product there are always other features that should be or could be added. Releasing a 1.0, everyone starts with "this should be there" and "that should be there" and since first releases are generally limited/smaller, it's easier (and quicker) to go through and add common real things that SHOULD be there.

At this stage in IPB's life cycle it has nearly everything a base forum should have, so it's much trickier to determine what to add, and it's much harder to add new things while maintaining the stability of the product.

We do our best - half the customers agree with our current release cycle strategies, while of course some will always want more more more. It's a balance we try to strike.

We do our best - half the customers agree with our current release cycle strategies, while of course some will always want more more more. It's a balance we try to strike.

hmm, i am waiting such a long time for nexus and co. Only promisses.
The board is nice as it is. Its time to make it more stable, more bugfree, faster...
But more important... lets see a RC of nexus, dynamic ... so you can see, if it is worth to wait longer.

I don't even care about 2.3 anymore. I just realized it doesn;'t have any new features worth me still being excited after this long of a wait since its announcement. If it had new features I would care. I wonder what developers are even doing all this time though.

As for 3.0 it wa sonce said it was coming as the next version after 2.1. Then it was what was talked about as the next version after 2.2. And at one time it was said it would be released before 2007. So I am guessing it will be out in 2009 or so now.

hmm, i am waiting such a long time for nexus and co. Only promisses.

The board is nice as it is. Its time to make it more stable, more bugfree, faster...

But more important... lets see a RC of nexus, dynamic ... so you can see, if it is worth to wait longer.

I've waited so long thinking Converge would have a stable version that I am just going to forget even linking my sites and will just go back to normal login probably.

We have been working on 2.3 for some time, however rather than release it with known bugs (to the extent possible) we have tried to "get it right". There's not a ton of changes in 2.3, but there are a lot of resource improvements - and those take time. Details on this are in our blog.

When IPB first started it was easy to put out constant updates. With a new product there are always other features that should be or could be added. Releasing a 1.0, everyone starts with "this should be there" and "that should be there" and since first releases are generally limited/smaller, it's easier (and quicker) to go through and add common real things that SHOULD be there.

At this stage in IPB's life cycle it has nearly everything a base forum should have, so it's much trickier to determine what to add, and it's much harder to add new things while maintaining the stability of the product.

And you guys do a great job, I have to say. I've been waiting on upgrading to 2.2 because the third-party Fusion Registry didn't yet support it. Now that Fusion Registry is hopefully about to go open source, it'll hopefully be close behind your release schedule and I'll be upgrading pronto.

I'm now trying to convince myself I can probably manage to have patience and wait for 2.3 to come out first, so as not to have to deal with whatever bugs from 2.2 that it squelches. :)

As you can see from the replies after mine, there is a varying belief in how we should release our products.

While Converge is near completion, we can't call it 'final' yet - however we are using it here, as a live test, so it's not pushed to the side either. We have many projects we are working on, and Converge is a much smaller scale project in comparison.

Josh and Matt are working full time exclusively on Dynamic and Nexus - Beatrina you may want to see this post. It was nearly done - it could have been released as-is, however after internal discussion we decided to spend a little more time on it to "get it right the first time". We could have released a sloppy "it can do xyz" type product, but that's not what we're after, and subsequently it takes more time.

As for 2.3, it's essentially done. The problem is, again, there is more to the release than you realize (i.e. the new skin) which we have to put together in order to actually build the release. It is coming, it won't be much longer now. But just because the core 2.3 release was ready does not mean we can just plop it in the download manager for everyone. We have to put all our ducks in a row as they say.

But just because the core 2.3 release was ready does not mean we can just plop it in the download manager for everyone. We have to put all our ducks in a row as they say.

Why not?

Why you don't make more regular, smaller releases? Its annoying having to wait for all the components to be updated - I assume its going to be another 'release ipb, gallery, blog etc updates at the same time' thing again.

All I'm waiting for is Converge.. and its taking ages. You just said its a small project, so why not just get it sorted and released? I'm not fussed about the gallery/blog/etc in comparison. I'm mainly peeved off about the fact I've been paying for a license which I haven't been using because I'm waiting for you to release converge, which Invision suggested would be out AGES ago.

Why not?

Why you don't make more regular, smaller releases? Its annoying having to wait for all the components to be updated - I assume its going to be another 'release ipb, gallery, blog etc updates at the same time' thing again.

All I'm waiting for is Converge.. and its taking ages. You just said its a small project, so why not just get it sorted and released? I'm not fussed about the gallery/blog/etc in comparison. I'm mainly peeved off about the fact I've been paying for a license which I haven't been using because I'm waiting for you to release converge, which Invision suggested would be out AGES ago.

Did you not just read his post? He said that Converge is nearly done. Good god, people complain about this too much. They are currently testing it for any kinks that need to be worked out, which is why they put it here on the IPS website. 2.3 also addressed improvements relating to Converge (for better integration and performance).

I'm mainly peeved off about the fact I've been paying for a license which I haven't been using because I'm waiting for you to release converge, which Invision suggested would be out AGES ago.

Sounds like you should have waited to purchase then. :thumbsup:

Converge and IPB have issues that 2.3 addresses - Converge couldn't even be released as Final until 2.3 is released. 2.3 can't be released until the new skin and documentation are ready. It's all a chain event - everything has to be in order. Just because you want it now doesn't mean we can release it now.

We do make smaller point releases (2.1.1, 2.1.2, and so on) however we aren't going to release a 2.2.3 when 2.3 is undergoing testing for release. It would take twice as long to do something like that.

And while YOU'RE not concerned with Gallery or Blog, several other people with licenses for those products ARE. We have thousands and thousands of customers, and while we never like to see any unhappy, we do have to do what is in the best interests of all of our customers as a whole.

IPB 2.3 will not require you to update Blog or Gallery, no. I do have a Gallery release ready to go soon, but this release of IP.Board is not like past releases where a component update was also necessary.

Archived