V3 - When is it ready?

Guest Beatrina

Ok ok.. bfarber
All i want is a better info politic (better conversation)
I and many customers would like to know whats coming next.
A more explicit timplan would be nice.
A 1 oder 2 month delay is ok, but longer .... sorry, i need more secure, so i could also make my plans.
I am a bit angry about the last 2 years. I think you earned money with custom boards and service and forgot to develop the other stuff fast enough. Earnig money is ok, everybody wants it.
Perhaps you have not enough manpower.

I want to plan for the future !!! And with IPS it is very difficult to do this.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok ok.. bfarber

All i want is a better info politic (better conversation)

I and many customers would like to know whats coming next.

A more explicit timplan would be nice.

A 1 oder 2 month delay is ok, but longer .... sorry, i need more secure, so i could also make my plans.

I am a bit angry about the last 2 years. I think you earned money with custom boards and service and forgot to develop the other stuff fast enough. Earnig money is ok, everybody wants it.

Perhaps you have not enough manpower.

I want to plan for the future !!! And with IPS it is very difficult to do this.

I fully understand about wanting a timeline.

The problem is when we RELEASE time frames, as soon as we don't hit it for whatever reason (and this invariably happens with software development) people complain to us about saying it would be ready around x month and it wasn't. It has always proven to be bad to release timeframes before we are absolutely certain of a release time frame, which is usually not far from actual release anyways.

We no longer have custom services here, for quite some time now (roughly, 6 months I'd estimate). :) I assure you all of our manpower is going into development of our current products.

this is just a personal opinion bfarber but announcing 2.3 so long ago was a bit of a mistake and i understand its got quite some significant changes and you wanted test it on the ips site but its been over a month now and i know i am but i know everyone else is getting more than impatient. Now i'm not i idiot i know all the arguments that it'll be ready when its ready and its better to release it bug free than keep doing updates but personally its not enough anymore i've been waiting so long to update my site now and I JUST KNOW (as the ips propaganda goes) if i were to update to 2.2 tomorrow 2.3 would come out a week later :P. At the moment i feel like tantalus in the pool of water, 2.3 all around me but just can't get my hands on it :P.

this is just a personal opinion bfarber but announcing 2.3 so long ago was a bit of a mistake and i understand its got quite some significant changes and you wanted test it on the ips site but its been over a month now and i know i am but i know everyone else is getting more than impatient. Now i'm not i idiot i know all the arguments that it'll be ready when its ready and its better to release it bug free than keep doing updates but personally its not enough anymore i've been waiting so long to update my site now and I JUST KNOW (as the ips propaganda goes) if i were to update to 2.2 tomorrow 2.3 would come out a week later :P . At the moment i feel like tantalus in the pool of water, 2.3 all around me but just can't get my hands on it :P .

And your statement proved my point exactly. :D We release even the slightest hint at a time frame, and people are not happy if we don't hit it. ;)

It's coming very soon, I assure you. If you've waited to update to 2.2 hoping 2.3 will be out soon, I would recommend continuing to wait. ;) Else you will indeed be in the situation you are describing.

Digi respects the forum rules and tries not to promote his business here. That is why he told you to email sales. You could, alternatively, search around and find someone else on your own - that is always an option. But we generally refer custom services requests to MetalAxe for the time being.

Regardless, this has pretty much derailed completely off topic.

And your statement proved my point exactly. :D We release even the slightest hint at a time frame, and people are not happy if we don't hit it. ;)

It's coming very soon, I assure you. If you've waited to update to 2.2 hoping 2.3 will be out soon, I would recommend continuing to wait. ;) Else you will indeed be in the situation you are describing.

How about releasing a sensible time line then HITTING it? Other software companies do it so their customers can plan, why can't you? 'Because we miss deadlines and people get angry' is not a good enough excuse. If you miss it then you deserve the hassle that comes with it, like all software companies have to deal with. Next time you might think about hitting the deadline.

Just 'not releasing a deadline' is not the solution, in my opinion its lazy and unprofessional.

I'm not sure if you are referring to me... but I am referring to 2.3 not v3.

Surely as a IT systems analyst you realise that customers want dates to work with? I never said I wanted it yesterday, just to know when I can expect it to be released. Having worked as a software developer for a FTSE 100 company in the past, I know how difficult it can be to meet deadlines. The fact was though, that we HAD to work our asses off to meet those deadlines, otherwise the company would be fined huge amounts of money by the regulators and therefore we got in the sh*t. How did we deal with it? We met our deadlines even if it meant working double time.

The IPB way of not releasing dates reminds me of the natwest advert (this will probably only be familiar to UK members) where they suggest other Banks way of dealing with long queues in their branches was to close them down...

I was not referring to anybody in general, just basically stating a fact. I agree with you in one sense and can see where you coming from, I have deadlines as well and mine are always met to keep associates happy otherwise I am the one who gets all the flack from my IT Manager, and Directors. The thing is here, I don

Archived