Upgrade of invision

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Go to System>Site Features>Applications and see if converters are listed thee. 

You need to be uploading all files and folders. You should be merging with what you already have. If you are unsure on this, you should really get someone to assist you

yes is there so with converters .... 

the process seems simple . just from manual upload each folder and file . Nothing more . right ? 

in new words need from there 

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

to upload each folder and file 

Could contain: Page, Text

Right ?

Many thanks for support . 

Edited by amd21

No, you would be uploading files via FTP. Not via the admin CP. I have to be honest here and say I really really would advise getting someone to assist you with actually doing this if you are unsure, as you can break your site. It also may be worth at taking a look at our cloud solution rather than self hosted, if you are not sure on hosting of your site

Posted (edited)

As Marc said, you have to upload those files via FTP to your server.

Ignore that "Install Application" popup. It's not what you need right now. You use that only when you have a TAR file to install/update single applications. IPS doesn't provide individual TAR files for their applications.

Edited by teraßyte

44 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Yes, they will be missing as you havent yet uploaded them. 

seem all files are in but doesnt been shown in site . 

5 hours ago, amd21 said:

seem all files are in but doesnt been shown in site . 

You cannot see all of the applications listed under AdminCP -> Applications (under the heading Site Features)? If not, you have not uploaded all of the files and folders as Marc has said.

You need to upload the entire contents of the `ips_xxxxx` folder (not the folder itself) to your forum main directory, overwriting files and folders when prompted and making sure all files transfer without error. You will then go to your site adding the following to your URL `/admin/upgrade` and login with your AdminCP credentials. The upgrade system will scan your install to confirm that all files are up to date before proceeding.

Let us know how you go. If you still encounter issues, it may be best to consult someone from the Providers Directly to help you out, or you can get in touch with your hosting service.

You're welcome.

Unless you know exactly what files or folders are missing, I would upload the whole package again and overwrite any existing files and folders.

On 5/4/2024 at 2:30 PM, Gary said:

You're welcome.

Unless you know exactly what files or folders are missing, I would upload the whole package again and overwrite any existing files and folders.

I can do this though ftp to replace all files but the question is if there is any risk in that process ? 

Posted (edited)

Uploading and replacing ALL files is the recommended way instead of trying to upload specific files.  It ensures everything is updated and you don’t miss something accidentally or that there is a compatibility issue for specific files. 

So no… no risk. Just make sure you OVERWRITE all files. Don’t let it skip uploading files etc. 

Uploading files won’t make you lose content. All of your posts and settings are in the MySQL database. 🙂

Edited by Randy Calvert

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 11:17 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

Pleas ensure you are doing a full backup of both files and database before you do this process. As mentioned a few times above, it may be advisable to get someone to assist you in doing this

I wont do anything to live site but to test first . Now in test site i created a second folder with invision files but when i changed the folder name show that need to make installation first again .... and ask  also for a license key that is already be used with the other folder in first place installation . Can use test key for second time for the same domain but for a test folder ? 

I am testing if can create a second folder and just change the name ( rename existing to something else and new with the existing name ) in order to minimize the risk .

Many thanks 

Edited by amd21

16 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You would use only one test key, and should indeed use a separate folder. Thats the intention of the test license key.

and if i would like to do the same for the live ? create a separate folder and rename it as existance . 

Ι mean after all go well with test site if i could do the same for live site . That mean i could use license key for new folder installation .

Many thanks

If you want to use that same location for your live site, you can of course. You would just delete the test site first.

Generally though, you would run your test in another location using your test key (this is your live key with -TESTINSTALL at the end)

I started the installation of a second folder of test site using the license key with TESTINTALL in the end . All went find till the database that i received the following message alhough all the input were right

Access denied for user 'xxxx'@'localhost' (using password: YES)