I want to try once again to see if it's possible to use pages to accomplish something without spending inordinate amounts of time learning CSS, JavaScript, and PHP to accomplish what sounds "easy".  This page makes it sound easy.

I have advertisers.  I want to create a page for them.  There are only a few criteria I'd like to build the page.

• List advertiser on left
  • Have a block on the right that has info about their company
  • Allow specific users to edit their record

That's about it.  This sounds like it should be easy.

Any tips on how to accomplish this?

Could contain: Page, Text

There are no current templates which match those column sizes so if you want those exact widths of columns, it will require customization.

If a 50% size for each column, you would just create a page with a 2 column template (see below in my screenshot). Then go to the front-end block manager and drag 2 WYSIWYG editor blocks to the left and right columns. Then add in the text/images you want.

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen

34 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

So, I have info for Advertiser #1; how do I allow 1, 2, or more users from that company to edit their own text?

This kind of page set-up (using pages and blocks) and the content is meant for admins to design and fill. It’s not really something you could hand-over to advertisers easily. 

It could work with a Pages database, where certain members/user-groups get the permissions to add/edit records. But that would require a custom database with a custom template. 

Just now, opentype said:

This kind of page set-up (using pages and blocks) and the content is meant for admins to design and fill. It’s not really something you could hand-over to advertisers easily. 

It could work with a Pages database, where certain members/user-groups get the permissions to add/edit records. But that would require a custom database with a custom template. 

Thanks, so for my purposes, it's not currently doable.

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Thanks, so for my purposes, it's not currently doable.

Either needs to be relatively more complex or you have to manage it for your advertisers if you want it simple. I'm afraid, there's no in between.

Just thinking outside of the box here-

You could create a profile field, and then use a custom box to display the field of a particular user. It would require knowing the user's unique id (which can be acquired by hovering over their user account and inspecting the link preview) and leveraging a bit of IC code to pull the user object, and then requesting the profile field by id. I'm not 100% sure what this would look like off the top of my head though. I'm also not 100% sure what the switcher on the left would look like programmatically.

Downsides to this solution:

• Only one human can edit this data (excluding admins), so if you have an organization they may need to engage in some password sharing.
  • In order for this field to be visible anywhere outside of the ACP, it needs to at least be visible in profiles. So people viewing their profile would end up seeing this in their sidebar.

---

If you absolutely must have things display the way they do in your sample, your best bet may be to commission a custom plugin. Otherwise, it may be worth while just to use a database and leverage one of the more traditional views.