Post Before Registering does not work as expected

When "Post Before Registering" is set to Allowed, guest users can submit comments on topics without registering/logging-in but the comment gets submitted immediately (skipping the registration process) for approval and the admin as no clue of what the guest user's email address is or if it was a bot submission as email address is not exposed on the approval form.

The guest user has no clue the content got submitted as "possible spam".

Here is what the config option says but the registration process is skipped before the submission -

"Guests will see the ability to submit content and then will immediately be prompted to register an account before the content is actually submitted and viewable. This is useful for encouraging guests to register. Guest users will have up to one week to complete their registration before their content will be permanently removed. If the guest user does not complete their registration immediately, they will be sent a reminder email shortly after making the post."

Also, I saw an article submitted by a guest user with empty title and empty body.

I would advise disabling third party addons/themes and testing again, this is not how Post Before Register functions. Moderators would not see the post if configured correctly and nothing is causing it to function incorrectly 

Please also post things like this in Support rather than Feedback. 

Posted (edited)

I've disabled the single installed plugin and used the Default theme.

When I reply to a topic using the comment form - after clicking the Submit Reply button, the notification flashes saying, "Your content will need to be approved by a moderator" but the Registration step is skipped. There is no email or notification to the admin or mod and the admin/mods have no clue a comment is awaiting approval until they stumble on it.

Could contain: Page, Text, File

On clicking Add Article, I'm taken to -

Could contain: Page, Text, File

On clicking the Save button, the same notification appears "Your submission needs to approved by the Administrator" but the Registration step is skipped and there is no article form.

I get the Admin email saying Guest has submitted an article with a button to approve it. When I click the "Got to Article" button in the email, it takes me to the error page "This page isn't working"

/articles/-r40/

When I use the above URL in a guest browser, it says "That page doesn't exist"

I see the empty article under ACP > Pages > Articles with empty title and empty body (as expected) because there was no article form rendered for the guest - just the email input field with the Save button as above.

I thought these may be possible bugs and hence posted the topic here. Is there a page detailing what topics to submit in which forums?

Edited by WebCMS

Could you please let me know what moderation restrictions you have imposed here that require approval? I tried with group-imposed moderation restrictions, and I am unable to reproduce what you mention here. I am correctly getting the registration form and only have my guest's content show when I complete the registration process.

12 hours ago, WebCMS said:

I thought these may be possible bugs and hence posted the topic here. Is there a page detailing what topics to submit in which forums?

Bugs, issues, etc... would be submitted to our Support forum as support is required to aid you resolve the issue, tell you if it functions as intended, etc...

Feature suggestions/improvements, software/company feedback, etc... would be submitted to Feedback as this is more product/company focused and non-support oriented, it will not fall under our usual SLA 😉 .

Posted (edited)

Just tried again on Chrome, Safari and Brave browsers and all of them skipped the Registration step and for articles, no article form is rendered and saving an empty article (as mentioned above).

System > Settings > Posting -

Post Before Registering: Allowed

Groups > Guests -

GROUP SETTINGS

Can access Site: Yes

Allow filtering by this group?: Yes

Can be ignored?: Yes

CONTENT

Show inline moderation events: Yes

Rest of the config settings for Guests group are all either Off or Disabled. I guess these are all default config settings and don't remember having changed any config settings for Guests group.

My site is on IC cloud.

Is "Technical Problems" the Support forum?

Edited by WebCMS

1 minute ago, WebCMS said:

Just tried again on Chrome, Safari and Brave browsers and all of them skipped the Registration step and for articles, no article form is rendered and saving an empty article (as mentioned above).

System > Settings > Posting -

Post Before Registering: Allowed

Groups > Guests -

GROUP SETTINGS

Can access Site: Yes

Allow filtering by this group?: Yes

Can be ignored?: Yes

CONTENT

Rest of the config settings for Guests group are all either Off or Disabled. I guess these are all default config settings and don't remember having changed any config settings for Guests group.

My site is on IC cloud.

We would need to know what is causing moderation approval here for your members. Guest group would not be impacted by this.

1 minute ago, WebCMS said:

Is "Technical Problems" the Support forum?

Yes, it is indeed. I moved the topic here for you 😉 

10 minutes ago, Jim M said:

We would need to know what is causing moderation approval here for your members. Guest group would not be impacted by this.

Ok, I hope I've provided enough info.

4 minutes ago, WebCMS said:

Ok, I hope I've provided enough info.

I'm afraid, we would require what your members are getting approval for moderation. That is not included in what you have provided so we would require more info.

Members group -

GROUP SETTINGS

Can access site: Yes

Can login anonymously: Allowed

Allow filtering by this group: Yes

Can be ignored: Yes

CONTENT

Can create polls: Yes

Can vote in polls: Yes

Can use tags?: Yes

Can use prefixes? Yes

Can give star ratings for content?: Yes

Can change rating?: Yes

Can edit own content?: Yes to all checkboxes

Can report content?: Yes

Require approval before content shows?: Yes

SOCIAL

Can edit profile information?: Yes

Allow animated profile photos?: Yes

Can upload a cover photo?: Yes

Can view Display Name History: Yes

Can view who reacted?: Yes

Can post status updates?: Yes

Can import status updates?: Yes

BLOGS

Can create blogs?: Yes

Can comment on blog entries?: Yes

Rest of the settings are all Off for Members group.

HTH

After logging into your community, I was able to find what I needed but using the same settings, I am unable to reproduce this. I have, however, turned this into a ticket so we can investigate what is happening here more closely. It seems there are a lot of configurations done to your environment so we will need to inspect this to see what may be happening here. Please watch your email for further correspondence.

I enabled permissions to Title and Content for Guests and see the fields on the article form.

However, it skips the Registration step for topics, comments and articles (I assume you are looking into it, though).

• 1 month later...

Don't want to bring up an old topic, but this is the exact issue I am now having on both of my cloud communities.  Guest's have no posting permissions, but I do have "Post Before Registering" allowed.  Guests are currently able to post replies to topics and send them for approval.

Guests are shown this message "You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.", but when they add an email and submit the reply, it pops up that the post was sent for moderation approval and no registration form appears.

4 minutes ago, UncrownedGuard said:

Don't want to bring up an old topic, but this is the exact issue I am now having on both of my cloud communities.  Guest's have no posting permissions, but I do have "Post Before Registering" allowed.  Guests are currently able to post replies to topics and send them for approval.

Guests are shown this message "You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.", but when they add an email and submit the reply, it pops up that the post was sent for moderation approval and no registration form appears.

The ticket was converted to a bug for our developers to resolve. It is estimated for the next release but that is not written in stone yet.