I know don't laugh LOL.

How can I easily identify my DB please as I only appear to have two. My main WordPress one and a staging copy. I am thinking I may have inadvertently installed invision in the Wordpress DB. How can I check where Invision is posting to as it is all working fine but yeah if I want to backup or migrate I need to know the DB its using.

Cheers

Thanks so much.

Ok yeah, I have installed it using the same DB as my WordPress install. I made a note in my diary. It simply says

Bugger.

Question?

Is this an issue and how can I extricate it and get it into its own DB?

Cheers

Mark

3 minutes ago, 15Degrees said:

Do you have set table prefixes in the conf_global.php file? If yes then it would be easy - export only these tables as a SQL dump, import them into a new database, and update access details to that db in conf_global.php file.

3 minutes ago, 15Degrees said:

It's not an issue per se. If you are planning to make an integration of the Wordpress with your Ipb forum in the future it's better to have both databases in the same place. 

To move the Ipb forum's database to a new/different database simply follow @DawPi's advice and you should be set.

1 hour ago, DawPi said:

Do you have set table prefixes in the conf_global.php file? If yes then it would be easy - export only these tables as a SQL dump, import them into a new database, and update access details to that db in conf_global.php file.

As DawPi mentioned here, if you have the ability to separate them, it is recommended. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, DawPi said:

Hiya

I have this in the conf file. 

Could contain: Page, Text, White Board

I've looked at all the tables and they all start with "oni"

Could contain: Page, Text

@Miss_BWhen you say "If you are planning to make an integration of Wordpress with your Ipb forum in the future it's better to have both databases in the same place."

Why would you do that and what would be the benefit of the doing of it?

Edited by 15Degrees

1 hour ago, 15Degrees said:

When you say "If you are planning to make an integration of Wordpress with your Ipb forum in the future it's better to have both databases in the same place."

Why would you do that and what would be the benefit of the doing of it?

The reason I mentioned it is if you wanted to bridge both scripts so when someone registers at your forum it is registered automatically at the WP as well and vice versa, or if you want your forum recent posts/topics to show up automatically at the wp. i.e. stuff like that. 

1 hour ago, teraßyte said:

Looks like you've used the same prefix for both Invision Community and WordPress. 🤔

Yep, an utterly stellar move on my part.

How can I extract Invision out of Wordpress DB in this case? Is there a list of Invision tables that I can select them and move them all?

4 hours ago, Miss_B said:

The reason I mentioned it is if you wanted to bridge both scripts so when someone registers at your forum it is registered automatically at the WP as well and vice versa, or if you want your forum recent posts/topics to show up automatically at the wp. i.e. stuff like that. 

Ah no I don't need to do that and our Wordpress is connected to invision using an SSO plugin which works great. I just want Invision to have its own DB now I have figured out it does not.

Unfortunately, there isnt going to be an easy way to do that. You would have to manually go through them. What I would do is probably switch both off, copy the database entirely and set invision to use that new copy, backup again, then delete anything that isnt an invision table from that database. A painstaking job for sure, 

1 hour ago, 15Degrees said:

How can I extract Invision out of Wordpress DB in this case? Is there a list of Invision tables that I can select them and move them all?

The best way to go about it imo is to install a new wordpress at a test folder/subdomain using a new database and then compare its tables with the ones from the database that you have used to install your Ipb and wp and omit those tables when you backup the current database so you can restore it at the new database with only the Ipb tables.

Or as mentioned above you can move the database as whole to a new database and after connecting it to the Ipb forum, delete all the wp tables from it. Either method will work. 

I suggested the wp tables as a comperasion because wp has less database tables than Ipb and it will reduce your workload. 

Edited by Miss_B

26 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

The best way to go about it imo is to install a new wordpress at a test folder/subdomain using a new database and then compare its tables with the ones from the database that you have used to install your Ipb and wp and omit those tables when you backup the current database so you can restore it at the new database with only the Ipb tables.

Or as mentioned above you can move the database as whole to a new database and after connecting it to the Ipb forum, delete all the wp tables from it. Either method will work. 

I suggested the wp tables as a comperasion because wp has less database tables than Ipb and it will reduce your workload. 

Yeah I could do this on a staging env. Ill try. Is there a list of Invision tables floating around anywhere? So to be sure.

1. Create a new DB with a new prefix and new user and a new DB name

2. Copy my existing WP DB to this new DB

3. Change Invision config file so it uses this new DB (Prefix, password etc)

4. Go through this new DB and delete out all the WordPress tables

Sound about right?

14 minutes ago, 15Degrees said:

Is there a list of Invision tables floating around anywhere?

You may wish to do a fresh installation to get those database table names into a new database that you delete later.

Before you go through all this work, did you just recently install your Invision Community software? Is there anything you want to keep? If you just recently started and don't have much, you could just create a new Invision Community installation into a new database and then delete the Invision Community database tables from your WordPress database.

17 hours ago, Jim M said:

You may wish to do a fresh installation to get those database table names into a new database that you delete later.

Before you go through all this work, did you just recently install your Invision Community software? Is there anything you want to keep? If you just recently started and don't have much, you could just create a new Invision Community installation into a new database and then delete the Invision Community database tables from your WordPress database.

Looking through all of the tables the only ones that look like they belong to Invision are these two

core
forums

There are a LOT of these. Nearly 5 whole pages in phpmyadmin out of 9 pages total. I assume Invision does not use WordPress options table so that one can go. Loads of tables are easily identifiable 

All the others I have looked at look like they belong to WordPress.

Ill do a test install and see what that looks like.

Posted (edited)

Hmm.

I started to install the test Invision to a database I have created called Invision_Test and using the TEST license key but what do I put in these two fields? 

Could contain: Page, Text, File

I have tried the new databases "Invision_Test" Username and its password but I get an error saying it has no permission. I gave it full permissions when I created it though>?

For Host as this is on my web server do I put the domain name or server hostname?

Any ideas?

Edited by 15Degrees

Posted (edited)

I know the username and password for the database as I created the database and its user.

I am running the installer because I am trying to install another version of Invision on my web server so I can see all the stock tables.

Edited by 15Degrees

To be clear.

I am trying to install Invision Test version on my web server.

1. I have created a database
2. I have created the user and given it permissions

So my question is because I am getting an error and as this is my web server

1. What do I put in as Hotname?
2. Database name I am putting the DB I created
2. Do I put the Username and password of the Database I have created and its user?

Update:

Ok this is what I have done:

1. Copied my WordPress Db to a new Db I called Invision

2. Gone through this new DB and deleted (painstakingly) all tables that do not look like Invision

3. I now have the following tables left over

calendar
commentmeta
core
forums
links

Out of these I "think" 

commentmeta
links

Could be deleted but I am not sure.

4. I then changed the conf_global.php and edited the 

'sql_database' => 
  'sql_user' => '
  'sql_pass' => '

With the new DB values.

5. Then I logged into the forum and it let me log in and all seems to be present and correct.

Do you think I could also delete the two tables I am unsure about?

Actually all of those I would think (if they are the full table names?). For example we have all core_ and forum_ and calendar_ based tables, but even the forums table for example is forums_forums. Back those tables up, then delete them I would say