Ignored Users >> Ignore Messages only works for new PMs, not for replies to existing PMs

Seems the setting only works for new PMs, not for existing ones which can still be replied to by a blocked member.  Should be both, as often times someone is blocked after the blocking member receives PMs they didn't want or the conversation escalated to wanting to block the other member.

Interestingly if I delete the original PM (created before the member was blocked), and they subsequently use that PM in their mailbox to reply back, it won't show an error but it also won't be received by the member blocking them.  No idea where it goes or what happens there, but it should show an error to the sender similar to them creating a new PM to a member that has blocked them.

Also I don't think it's a good approach to force the blocking member to delete the original PM with the blocked member as often times it contains evidence of the issues between them that an admin may need to see or the blocking member may wish to share.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Daniel F said:

This is unfortunately by design.

We've implemented it this way, that the person who starts the conversation sees all messages, if you send a message to someone, you're always going to want to be able to see their replies.

Well I think a person would want to see the replies initially but in the event they feel the need to block someone, at that point they no longer want to receive any additional messages.  Ultimately, this particular instance became so problematic, I had to ban both members.  Granted, their conflict was bad content but I'm losing good content they post as well as a result.

2 hours ago, Clover13 said:

Well I think a person would want to see the replies initially but in the event they feel the need to block someone, at that point they no longer want to receive any additional messages.  

Wouldn't they just leave the conversation then? Then they wouldn't receive any further communication in that conversation and the user would not be able to message them again.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Wouldn't they just leave the conversation then? Then they wouldn't receive any further communication in that conversation and the user would not be able to message them again.

It's an option, but in my case, the one member wanted to retain the original conversation up until the point where he blocked the other member so that he had evidence of the situation.  I guess he could have screenshot it all to have the same and then left it.  And yeah I'd imagine leaving it would be a way to achieve the effect desired.