Import Member List?

PinPics
Go to solution Solved by teraßyte,

I've asked my tech guy -- and he thinks it will be no problem to generate the list, but he wants to make sure that will not mess up the OAuth he's set up. Would it? It'd be nice if we can import all members into the IPS right away, rather than have to wait for them to sign-in for the first time after the OAuth is activated. But we'd be using OAuth from then on, since we are going to be using the IPS profiles. Hopefully, that all makes sense. I don't really know very much about this. 🙂 Thanks!

Okay, I've gotten a list from my tech guy. It does include required fields (usernames, e-mails) -- but it also contains other fields. Will it still work? Or do I need a list with only username and e-mails?

I've tried to find if there is a Help Guide for this, but I'm not seeing one in search results. Will this notify members when the accounts are imported? 

We have not made our IPS portion of the site public and still need a few more weeks. But it would be handy to have the accounts all included in there before it is fully released to the community. 

You can map every value in the CSV file to the corresponding column in the IPS database on the import page.

In the import form there is also a Yes/No option Send confirmation email? that you can leave disabled and the users won't receive any notification of  their account.

Edited by teraßyte

Thank you! I plucked up the courage to have a look in there, and I see the selecting options for the fields. That's nice. 

Once we've officially opened the new area to the public, we will be using the profiles from IPS, but we'll be using the sign-in through OAuth from our site as is. If I import this member list and do not select to send confirmation e-mail, what will that look like to the members when we turn the OAuth on and they are able to some into the IPS profile. Will they have to sign-in with any special notice?

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Im not sure what you mean when you say what will that look like? A profile will look the same as any other new member.

Sorry. I probably worded that poorly. When the users come in to sign-in the first time, will it be the same as just signing in? Right now, we've tested it by turning on the OAuth to allow a couple accounts to sign-in -- getting them access to the IPS area. When they do that initial sign-in, they have to authorize the account access and agree to terms of service. Once they click yes, though, all is normal. Will it be any different if I import the entire list, or is that all they'll see when they come in to sign-in there?

Thanks! I'll try that and post back about what happens. The worst that happens, if something here does not seem to go right, would be that I would delete all member accounts imported to the particular member group and start again, correct?

Sorry to be asking so many questions. I just don't do well when not knowing what to expect. 🙂

1 hour ago, PinPics said:

Perfect. We have a daily backup, so that is good.

Just a quick comment. In my years of being a server administrator, before making a large change, I typically recommend taking a backup right before so if you need to restore, you lose less. Think of it not about having a backup from earlier but if it was at 5am, what have you done today? Is it worth losing that if you can help it? 🙂 Most backups take a few minutes to run so just food for thought.

56 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Just a quick comment. In my years of being a server administrator, before making a large change, I typically recommend taking a backup right before so if you need to restore, you lose less. Think of it not about having a backup from earlier but if it was at 5am, what have you done today? Is it worth losing that if you can help it? 🙂 Most backups take a few minutes to run so just food for thought.

Thanks so much for that! Actually, that's exactly perfect. I always do anything big like this shortly after the scheduled backup. The server tech has told me the time, and I'll try this shortly after that tomorrow. Thanks so much for the advice!!

• 1 month later...

Quick question on this, because I'm almost ready to import all our member list. 

There are a few accounts that we have already synched through the OAuth. That means that I have about five accounts already in the IPS area that will be included in the CSV file of member accounts imported. Will that cause a problem, or will it just skip those accounts?

One more question, which I think is an easy one. 🙂

We've successfully imported our member list into the IPS and everything is going very well. I've just been able to get a CSV file of our members though that includes the day their account was made (dating back to 2001). If I were to reupload in the Import Member area, will it be able to allow me to add that column as registration date to accounts that are already imported? Or when an account is present, does it skip all fields?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, PinPics said:

Or when an account is present, does it skip all fields?

Yes, it skips the account. The code doesn't account for updating existing ones.

Your only options are:

1. Delete the imported members and re-import them with the proper field selected for the join date.
  2. If the accounts are only a few, manually update the unix timestamps directly in the database. (Always make a backup before any manual edits.)
  3. If you have a lot of accounts, create a script to automatically update the joined unix timestamp.
  4. Give up on updating the joined date. 😋
Edited by teraßyte

Yeah. With 10k accounts, options #1 and #2 aren't really feasible. 😅

The only real option would be #3. A quick script to import a CSV file that contains only the account email and their joined date. It could quickly go through the data to update the date column in the members' table using the email.

It should be easy enough for your developer in case you want to go ahead with it.