How to get to the Support Tool in AdminCP to restore a theme

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Usually, you would just revert the specific template that is mentioned, not the entire theme. But keep in mind that this error just gives a generic suggestion. (Note that is says it “may” be out of date.) Following the instruction might not actually fix the problem.

To reset the template:

Open it in the theme editor and click the Revert button. Keep in mind, this deletes all customization you might have added to the template.

Could contain: Text, Menu

To start over with a new theme, click the Create New button on the theme page.

Could contain: Text

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

It was on an older version, To be fair hadnt had much use, so we were just looking to bring it back upto date.

On the Update it said Designed mode was on, so had to turn off.

In this process it advised about it copying and updating the theme files. I agreed to that bit, but didn't tick the delete file based versions.

Processed with the update and on the Client side it all worked fine. Went to log back into the Admin side and this was unaccessible.

I have no objections to wiping the theme, we can always setup a new one? Know the girl who did it a while ago (4 Months plus) will be chuffed at having to do it again, but its really whatever we can do to get it back up and then we can work on getting it right.

Sorry there isn't any more info than that, but really was just an upgrade.

Before doing any type of restore, I would advise going to the Client Area and downloading a full set of files, extracting these on your computer. Then upload the contents of the "ips_****" folder to your server, overwriting what is there. Then try again.

Hi,

I've updated the contents as advised and now am getting a server error. Gone from Bad to Worse ...
Any Ideas?

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@xxxxxxxxx.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

8 hours ago, charlie@e-epos.com said:

Hi,

I've updated the contents as advised and now am getting a server error. Gone from Bad to Worse ...
Any Ideas?

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@xxxxxxxxx.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

You’ll want to check what the error is in your server error log. If you do not have access or are unsure how to do this, please contact your hosting provider. 

Hi Guys,

We seem to be back to square 1 again ...

[[Template core/admin/global/globalTemplate is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Appreciate we all felt this was over, but can see Marc believes it to be wrong theme on wrong version...

Is there any way anyone can give us steps to get any default theme working on any version? 

We can always upgrade back to current versions etc.

We've reuploaded all files a few times, checked database etc - Appreciate we havent that many posts on the system but would be good if we could keep the content.

Many thanks

Hi,

We have fixed this, but are still conscious about the 'wrong theme on the wrong version' and also know that if we goto Admin and change the theme to Default we get back to square 1.

Can anyone give instructions on how to 'reinstall/reset' the default theme so that we can safely upgrade and have a working theme.

Many thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hello - having the same issue after (attempted) upgrade to 4.7.2 from 4.6.12.1. During an upgrade, after files were unzipped, I have got the following message:

[[Template core/admin/global/globalTemplate is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

and since that time I get the same message when trying to access AdminCP page.

Recovery mode is not working either. Seems like an entry in constants.php:

define('RECOVERY_MODE',True);

is simply being ignored. Whatever I do now I get the same message as mentioned above.

Ergo - I'm stuck.

Luckily I got this on my test page, but until it is solved I will not even get close to touch my production site.

Kindly please help.

2 minutes ago, Taszyn said:

Hello - having the same issue after (attempted) upgrade to 4.7.2 from 4.6.12.1. During an upgrade, after files were unzipped, I have got the following message:

[[Template core/admin/global/globalTemplate is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

and since that time I get the same message when trying to access AdminCP page.

Recovery mode is not working either. Seems like an entry in constants.php:

define('RECOVERY_MODE',True);

is simply being ignored. Whatever I do now I get the same message as mentioned above.

Ergo - I'm stuck.

Luckily I got this on my test page, but until it is solved I will not even get close to touch my production site.

Kindly please help.

After defining the constant for recovery mode, are you going to the ACP to login? It will not be applied till you do. If you are still receiving an error, please clear your /datastore directory on your server. Then try to login to the ACP again.

If that does not help, we will require access to assist:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

Thank for your prompt answer Jim.

8 minutes ago, Jim M said:

After defining the constant for recovery mode, are you going to the ACP to login? It will not be applied till you do. If you are still receiving an error, please clear your /datastore directory on your server. Then try to login to the ACP again.

The datastore directory cleared, with no effect.

I will provide you with requested access, just please allow me one or two days.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1 month later...

Sometimes it is worth to wait and do nothing. When I finally had some time to re-approach the issue, it turned out that new 4.7.2 upgrade is available. System detected new version, proposed to finish previous upgrade and performed an upgrade to 4.7.2. All went smooth and now my forum is back on-line and up to date :).