what does IBP V4 end-of-life mean for hosted clients?

guyroch

This the end-of-life of IPB 4 in 2025/26, will you -force- customers that have a hosted site to upgrade? You have deprecated Commerce Physical product, and I would much prefer to continue using IPB V4 rather than having to split my offering to my customers into 2 sites, one for non-physical products + forums and a second one with Shopify and the likes. Yikes!

• Management

I assume we would handle this just like we did for v3, v4.0, v4.1, etc. that have reached end of life. We generally give people a LOT of warning and then finally pick a date way in the future that they have to upgrade. We're talking years though. I am afraid I do not have a clear answer to give you on such specifics that are many years away 🙂 

As end of life approaches, you will get a lot more information on how to handle the upgrade. And, of course, by 2025 or 2026, v5 itself will be more mature. We might even be on v6 by then, who knows!

5 hours ago, guyroch said:

If I summarize your reply, the short answer is yes, you'll force hosted customers to upgrade 😞

Like anything EVENTUALLY you will need to upgrade. For example when PHP 8.X eventually becomes end of life and no support for it is available.  What Charles is saying is that time frame is so far out, they don’t even know when it is yet. You literally have YEARS before that point. 

By never upgrading under no circumstances ever… you are going to subject your users to eventually running the equivalent of Windows 95. This can eventually allow your user’s data to be stolen and your site compromised. 

There is not even a timeline yet for when IPB5 will be released yet… so whatever that ends up being, add some years to it. If you seriously can’t figure out an upgrade path in that time, I would suggest not running a site at all. 

6 hours ago, guyroch said:

If I summarize your reply, the short answer is yes, you'll force hosted customers to upgrade 😞

To clarify, we are talking about "in order to be supported and have security updates" generally. For example if someone asks me how to resolve on issue on 3.4.7, my answer is "You need to upgrade to a supported release". So while yes, they 'need' to upgrade, I of course cannot force them to do so. There are still people who (strangely) run version 3 and have even seen a few custom jobs where people have upgraded from 2 recently.

However, people asking specifics about future events that have not even been spoken about yet, let alone planned. We can only really answer you based on what we have done previously. 

8 hours ago, guyroch said:

Like any software, you will either have to upgrade eventually or have to freeze your server software to accommodate your out of date Invision install.

As Charles has said, version 4 will be updated and maintained for a good while yet, but eventually you will either have to upgrade or stick with the last version released (This option will come with its own issues).