Cloud hosting and guests

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I’ve noticed forums on cloud hosting are not up to date for guests, looks like they can be upto 15 minutes out of date.

This became a problem since guest page caching was removed but I solved this on self hosted by using cloudflare using the suggested settings (on another topic) to replicate guest page cache.

The point here though is you need to correct this, it’s easily done as I’ve managed it. 15 minutes is a long time especially when something live is happening and those visiting want to see the latest posts related to a live event.

It’s one of a few issues I have left with cloud hosting that prevents me moving to it.

I thought this might be a problem when I moved a year ago, but it honestly was not. If someone needs a live view, login.  In fact, that can be an encouragement to signup to get instant updates.  

Caching the content has been great for Google… it has gotten better speed results than without as well. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

It is a problem as they shouldn't be forced to log in, they shouldn't see an out of date forum. I also rely on advertising revenue and I personally show more adverts to guests so members have a better experience so forcing them to log in has never been in my thoughts.

• Solution

The caching is not a bug which needs resolution, it is intended to aid customers with performance of the site for individuals who may not need to see a live version of your site. Keep in mind, it is not a rolling 15 min but rather 15 min since the guest hit the page that initiated the cache.  Unpopular pages, this likely won't even be an issue as you're describing but popular pages, most who want to contribute and stay up to date will login/register anyway, so we have found little in ways of feedback against this from our Cloud customers. However, if this is an issue, you're welcome to provide your suggestion in our Feedback forum.

19 minutes ago, Jim M said:

The caching is not a bug which needs resolution, it is intended to aid customers with performance of the site for individuals who may not need to see a live version of your site. Keep in mind, it is not a rolling 15 min but rather 15 min since the guest hit the page that initiated the cache.  Unpopular pages, this likely won't even be an issue as you're describing but popular pages, most who want to contribute and stay up to date will login/register anyway, so we have found little in ways of feedback against this from our Cloud customers. However, if this is an issue, you're welcome to provide your suggestion in our Feedback forum.

You've not received feedback as most are not even aware. I mentioned it to someone who runs a football forum like mine, who moved the cloud hosting and he wasn't even aware of it. But if I've got 500+ guests wanting to see the latest views on a live event, and they are seeing a cached version of the forum that isn't updating, they keep checking but its the same page as they read 5 minutes ago (yet on the live forum, there's been 100-200 posts since that they can't view). It's not going to encourage them to keep checking the forum each time something happens during this live event.

Edited by marklcfc

18 hours ago, marklcfc said:

You've not received feedback as most are not even aware. I mentioned it to someone who runs a football forum like mine, who moved the cloud hosting and he wasn't even aware of it. But if I've got 500+ guests wanting to see the latest views on a live event, and they are seeing a cached version of the forum that isn't updating, they keep checking but its the same page as they read 5 minutes ago (yet on the live forum, there's been 100-200 posts since that they can't view). It's not going to encourage them to keep checking the forum each time something happens during this live event.

As already mentioned by my colleague, if you wish to see changes in this area, please feel free to post up within our feedback area