Site is down after php upgrade

Hello,

After upgrading to PHP8 my pros site is no longer available,

Please help

It's possible that the theme does not support php8.0, or there's a missing component

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.
Edited by LiveG

• LiveG changed the title to Site is down after php upgrade

[Sun Aug 06 13:23:57.661447 2023] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 1811] [client 147.235.221.42:3226] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Declaration of IPS\\forums\\_Topic::getItemsWithPermission($where = [], $order = null, $limit = 10, $permissionKey = 'read', $includeHiddenItems = IPS\\Content\\Hideable::FILTER_AUTOMATIC, $queryFlags = 0, ?IPS\\Member $member = null, $joinContainer = false, $joinComments = false, $joinReviews = false, $countOnly = false, $joins = null, $skipPermission = false, $joinTags = true, $joinAuthor = true, $joinLastCommenter = true, $showMovedLinks = false) must be compatible with IPS\\Content\\_Item::getItemsWithPermission($where = [], $order = null, $limit = 10, $permissionKey = 'read', $includeHiddenItems = IPS\\Content\\Hideable::FILTER_AUTOMATIC, $queryFlags = 0, ?IPS\\Member $member = null, $joinContainer = false, $joinComments = false, $joinReviews = false, $countOnly = false, $joins = null, $skipPermission = false, $joinTags = true, $joinAuthor = true, $joinLastCommenter = true, $showMovedLinks = false, $location = null) in /var/www/html/applications/forums/sources/Topic/Topic...'

[Sun Aug 06 13:23:58.403886 2023] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 1794] [client 66.249.66.10:57783] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Cannot use "parent" when current class scope has no parent in /var/www/html/system/Theme/Theme.php(2703) : eval()'d code on line 41'

33 minutes ago, LiveG said:

possible that the theme does not support php8.0

Yes, switch php back to v7 and see if site works again which it should.

You may have some customisation that is incompatible with php v8.

Try disabling all applications and plugins, switch to default theme and language then tryphp v8 again.

Looks like 2 issues (at least) with 3rd party applications (or plugins). There's no way to tell which one from the error log, so you'll need to disable all of them. Once you do that, you can check the PHP scanner in the support section of the ACP to see which modifications have been flagged.

That said... the second error message in your logs won't be flagged by the scanner. That one is going to have to be trial and error to figure out which is the culprit. 

But the PHP scanner doesn't exist in Invision Community v4.7.1, why i have compatibility issues?

Your tech support here said that the best practice is to upgrade the server first to avoid this scenario.

Edited by LiveG

30 minutes ago, Richard Arch said:

Yes, switch php back to v7 and see if site works again which it should.

You may have some customisation that is incompatible with php v8.

Try disabling all applications and plugins, switch to default theme and language then tryphp v8 again.

As stated here, you'll need to switch back to PHP7, then disable everything, and then switch back to PHP8.

Alternatively, you can roll back to PHP7 and then reach out to the author(s) of your modifications to verify PHP8 compatibility. 

Let's say I roll back to php7, disable every app, and the upgrade to PHP8 will be successful,

when i am will start to enable them one by one, everything will crash again in some point, and if there is more then one?  sound like an inefficient way to handle this case

Edited by LiveG

19 minutes ago, LiveG said:

Let's say I roll back to php7, disable every app, and the upgrade to PHP8 will be successful,

when i am will start to enable them one by one, everything will crash again in some point, and if there is more then one?  

That's correct. I would suggest reaching out to the authors of the modifications to verify that their applications/plugins are compatible. 

20 minutes ago, LiveG said:

when i am will start to enable them one by one, everything will crash again in some point, and if there is more then one?  sound like an inefficient way to handle this case

Can you check the installed App's/plugin 's page here at the Marketplace to see if any of them is not compatible with php 8? That might save you some time. You should look especially into the apps/plugins that have to do with topics, as the error messages you posted above indicate that

Update: I rolled back to PHP 7 and everything working again.

Well, I have a lot of apps. some of them are custom and critical apps. It will be a very painful procedure to understand what is the source of the problem.

Is there any way to prevent the forum from totally crashing when upgrading the server to PHP8 and enabling apps one by one?

Maybe i should set up a test env for it.

Edited by LiveG

1 minute ago, LiveG said:

Is there any way to prevent the forum from totally crashing when upgrading the server to PHP8 and enabling apps one by one?

I don't think there is, if you don't know the culprit. 

4 minutes ago, LiveG said:

some of them are custom and critical apps. It will be a very painful procedure to understand what is the source of the problem.

You should start with the custom apps that affect the topics, as mentioned above. Most likely one of them is going to be the culprit as most apps here at the MP from what I have seen are php 8 compatible.

6 minutes ago, LiveG said:

Maybe i should set up a test env for it.

That is a good idea. Like that you can identify the culprit without disrupting your main forum. The thing with this is that if you can' upgrade your php to affect only the test site, you will have to disable all third party plugins/apps for your main site till you find the issue. 

If you want a quick and easy way of figuring it out...

You're self-hosted so therefore can use FTP.

1. Download the /applications/appname and the /plugins folder to your PC (appname = the names of the non-IPS folders for applications you have installed)
  2. Using a text editor such as Notepad++, do a "Find in files"
  3. Use getItemsWithPermission as your search term
  4. Search away

There ya go - found one, contact the author after ensuring you are already running the latest version of that resource.

31 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

If you want a quick and easy way of figuring it out...

You're self-hosted so therefore can use FTP.

1. Download the /applications/appname and the /plugins folder to your PC (appname = the names of the non-IPS folders for applications you have installed)
  2. Using a text editor such as Notepad++, do a "Find in files"
  3. Use getItemsWithPermission as your search term
  4. Search away

There ya go - found one, contact the author after ensuring you are already running the latest version of that resource.

Hi,

Thank you, i will try it!

I am afraid i don't have /applications/appname folder - is it normal?

Edited by LiveG

It's perfectly normal - I doubt anyone has named their application "appname", and I wrongly assumed that the following hint was enough:

appname = the names of the non-IPS folders for applications you have installed

Look at the folders under /applications....they are the folders for the applications you have installed, figure out the non-IPS ones (which are forums/blog/cms/core/nexus/commerce/downloads/calendar/convert/gallery)

I found the following,

I will contact the authors, thanks a lot!!! @Nathan Explosion

B2W

Calander is not an ips app?

PHP8\awards\hooks\awardsGet.php (3 hits)
PHP8\awards\hooks\awardsSettingsForm.php (1 hit)
PHP8\awards\widgets\latestAwarded.php (1 hit)
PHP8\calendar\Application.php (1 hit)
PHP8\calendar\sources\Event\Event.php (3 hits)
PHP8\calendar\widgets\recentReviews.php (1 hit)
PHP8\chatbox\sources\Member\Post.php (2 hits)
PHP8\chatbox\sources\Rooms\Chat.php (2 hits)
PHP8\plugins\dp43postsmembersifollow\hooks\ipsMemberPostsMemberIFollow.php (1 hit)
PHP8\plugins\jqueryrecenttopicsticker\widgets\rtt.php (1 hit)
PHP8\radtags\hooks\C_GalleryModulesFrontBrowse.php (1 hit)
PHP8\radtags\hooks\C_HelpersTableContent.php (1 hit)
PHP8\ratestatistics\modules\front\system\rates.php (1 hit)
PHP8\slidermaker\sources\Slider\Slider.php (8 hits)

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Calendar is an IPS application. If it is up to date, you're fine as it is compatible with PHP 8.

I am in version 4.7.1.

Cant upgrade the software before the server. 

Calander 4.7.1 dosent support php8?

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I disabled all of the apps, moved to the default theme, and then upgraded the server again to PHP8.

After the upgrade, the ACP problem indication was gone.

Now i have admin access, but my site is down (BLANK SCREEN); please advise?

Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Declaration of IPS\\forums\\_Topic::getItemsWithPermission($where = [], $order = null, $limit = 10, $permissionKey = 'read', $includeHiddenItems = IPS\\Content\\Hideable::FILTER_AUTOMATIC, $queryFlags = 0, ?IPS\\Member $member = null, $joinContainer = false, $joinComments = false, $joinReviews = false, $countOnly = false, $joins = null, $skipPermission = false, $joinTags = true, $joinAuthor = true, $joinLastCommenter = true, $showMovedLinks = false) must be compatible with IPS\\Content\\_Item::getItemsWithPermission($where = [], $order = null, $limit = 10, $permissionKey = 'read', $includeHiddenItems = IPS\\Content\\Hideable::FILTER_AUTOMATIC, $queryFlags = 0, ?IPS\\Member $member = null, $joinContainer = false, $joinComments = false, $joinReviews = false, $countOnly = false, $joins = null, $skipPermission = false, $joinTags = true, $joinAuthor = true, $joinLastCommenter = true, $showMovedLinks = false, $location = null) in /var/www/html/applications/forums/sources/Topic/Topic..

Edited by LiveG