(NE) Box of Tricks

7 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

(NE) Override 'All Activity' as default stream

Was trying this out and I don't think it honors the configured Expanded vs Condensed view or a subset of items selected (ie topics, events, etc)?  Or maybe it had to do with it also being the default module?

Edited by Clover13

It literally ONLY does the following "Overrides 'All Activity' as the default stream" - there's nothing else in it.

If you want me to look at an issue, then any chance you could give me some reproduction steps to identify what it is that you are doing (as an admin and as a user) or even the settings that you've put in place (that tells me which stream you have chosen to use)

Edited by Nathan Explosion
5 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

It literally ONLY does the following "Overrides 'All Activity' as the default stream" - there's nothing else in it.

If you want me to look at an issue, then any chance you could give me some reproduction steps to identify what it is that you are doing (as an admin and as a user) or even the settings that you've put in place (that tells me which stream you have chosen to use)

I think it's a situation where the Activity Stream Settings apply to All Activity (i.e. Show in All Activity setting) but a custom stream doesn't appear to have any settings to customize these same things nor does it inherit them, they seem to only apply to All Activity.  As such, I am seeing things like "Member joined" in my Overridden All Activity (i.e. I select my custom Recent Activity stream in your mod, but some things from All Activity are displayed).  I actually don't mind seeing things like "Member joined" in the custom Activity stream, but I don't see any way to allow for this in the core configuration.  Your mod just exposed this behavior that I'm assuming is a hybrid of All Activity and a custom stream when All Activity gets overridden in however you did it.

See screenshots below.

You can use the same settings, override with your mod to the custom Recent Activity stream configured and add a new member.

Could contain: Page, Text

Could contain: Page, Text, File

The other nuance I originally mentioned was with Expanded vs Condensed views.  The custom stream has Condensed configured but with your mod enabled, the default landing of that will be in Expanded rather than the Condensed setting.

Could contain: Page, Text

31 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

As such, I am seeing things like "Member joined" in my Overridden All Activity

I think you are getting the entirely wrong idea here.

"All Activity" is the default stream when you go to /discover

The resource doesn't make another stream the new "All Activity" - it simply displays another stream as the default, it doesn't become "All Activity"

The settings from your first screenshot are relevant to the "All Acitivity" stream; they are not relevant to other streams so I would expect those items to show up in other streams. Nothing to do with the resource.

31 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

The other nuance I originally mentioned was with Expanded vs Condensed views.  The custom stream has Condensed configured but with your mod enabled, the default landing of that will be in Expanded rather than the Condensed setting.

Not reproducible - it defaults each time to the configured view setting. The only time it doesn't is if the user has themselves chosen to change it via the front-end (by clicking it)

If you can provide clear bullet-pointed reproduction steps for that one then I can take a further look, but at this time it's not something I can assist with.

Edited by Nathan Explosion
2 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I think you are getting the entirely wrong idea here.

"All Activity" is the default stream when you go to /discover

The resource doesn't make another stream the new "All Activity" - it simply displays another stream as the default, it doesn't become "All Activity", and it's "All Activity"

The settings from your first screenshot are relevant to the "All Acitivity" stream; they are not relevant to other streams so I would expect those items to show up in other streams. Nothing to do with the resource.

I'm confused, you would expect those items (All Activity items) to show up in custom streams?

Let's talk paths and behaviors...

Custom stream named "Recent Activity":  /discover/6
All Activity (core default):  /discover

• If I visit /discover/6, it will display the custom Recent Activity stream and I do not see "Member Joined" statuses.
  • If I visit /discover with your mod disabled, it will display All Activity and I do see "Member Joined" statuses
  • If I visit /discover with your mod enabled, it will display the custom Recent Activity stream and I do see "Member Joined" statuses

Is that the expected behavior OR should it show exactly as /discover/6 would?

Not reproducible - it defaults each time to the configured view setting. The only time it doesn't is if the user has themselves chosen to change it via the front-end (by clicking it)

If I view in Incognito mode as a guest, it doesn't default to the configured view, it defaults to Expanded.

Steps:

1. Navigate to menu Activity >> My Activity Streams >> Recent Activity (/discover/6) and it will load Condensed as configured
  2. You'll now see when you navigate to menu Activity, it will display All Activity as the left most submenu item.  Click that and it will navigate to /discover and display as Expanded.

So that means for guest viewing (generally a large portion of viewership), they'll be forced into a different view than members.

3 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

It's a free resource - if it doesn't work for you as expected, go ahead and disable the functionality.

If I feel the urge, I'll look into those behaviours at a later point

All good Nathan, not trying to cause an issue, just providing feedback on the behaviors.  Appreciate you providing the application for free to help site owners.

v1.2.0 pending approval - that's it for the moment; will take a look at other features/fixes at a later point.

FIXES

• Fixed a numpty issue with saving group settings correctly to the database instead of just the cache.  
  • Fixed issue where disabling "Manage 'Create New Stream' permissions" had no effect (only observable if it had previously been enabled AND the groups configuration had been modified from default)

NEW

• Added the following freebies into the box (both previously unavailable via the Marketplace)
    • (NE) Language usage counter
    • (NE) Order databases in "Create" menu

A new v1.2.0 is now pending approval

FIXES

• Fixed a numpty issue with saving group settings correctly to the database instead of just the cache.  
  • Fixed issue where disabling "Manage 'Create New Stream' permissions" had no effect (only observable if it had previously been enabled AND the groups configuration had been modified from default)
  • Fixed issue with saving settings when Pages is not installed
  • Added missing CSS for the "Unread icon in forums categories" functionality

NEW

I plan to add the following freebies (which I think have each only been made available to one person previously) into the application in v1.3.0:

• (NE) Redirect banned users
  • (NE) Hide advertisements from search engines

If anyone has been provided with a free plugin by myself previously (not via the Marketplace), please chime in here and I'll look into possibly adding it to this on the next update.

• 2 weeks later...

v1.3.1 is currently pending approval.

FIXES

• fixed minor save issue which occurs when the following are in effect:
    • the "Enable "Additional Pages media types"?" setting is enabled
    • the "Allow all file types?" setting is enabled
    • the "Allow these additional file types" setting is blank.

Workaround for the above issue: prior to saving, toggle "Allow all file types?" off, and add an entry in the "Allow these additional file types" field, then toggle "Allow all file types?" back on.

On 5/3/2023 at 3:26 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

(NE) Additional Pages media types

As the person who wanted this, thank you very much for adding it! ❤️

4 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:
  • fixed minor save issue which occurs when the following are in effect:
    • the "Enable "Additional Pages media types"?" setting is enabled
    • the "Allow all file types?" setting is enabled
    • the "Allow these additional file types" setting is blank.

I had my bug report all written up and ready to submit when I saw your new post come in saying you already fixed it, haha. Thanks for being so on the ball with this (free!) app!

Edited by Princess Celestia

v1.4.0 will be up next - with the release of that version, I believe that will be the last version into which I put existing functionality made available via a freebie I've thrown out somewhere.

The following is the only candidate for inclusion right now:

On 4/26/2023 at 5:53 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

If anyone has been provided with a free plugin by myself previously (not via the Marketplace), please chime in here and I'll look into possibly adding it to this on the next update.