"There are no apps available to upgrade"

Go to solution Solved by arrowman,

Hello, I uploaded the files for the update. then I opened "example.com/admin/upgrade". The whole process was fast and I logged in with the AdminCP credentials.
Once inside, I clicked on the link to visit the site which looked a bit different, probably because the theme was out of date.
I noticed that the Chatbox app was no longer activated, so I activated it. then i revisited the site and got a 500 error.
I went back to the CP and clicking somewhere else got another 500 error.

When I try to go to "example.com/admin/upgrade" I get a message saying "There are no apps available to upgrade".

Should I delete everything and start over or...

Thanks in advance

Could contain: File, Webpage, Page, Text

You can use recovery mode to disable all of your 3rd party resources. 

Basically you’re creating (or adding to an existing) constants.php file that has a variable that enables recovery mode. Once you upload the file, visit your ACP. When you login, you’ll see a message about things being disabled.  

Once it finishes, remove that variable. That should fix your issue. 

Make sure you update your third party resources. If no updates are available you might need to remove it. 

8 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

You can use recovery mode to disable all of your 3rd party resources. 

Basically you’re creating (or adding to an existing) constants.php file that has a variable that enables recovery mode. Once you upload the file, visit your ACP. When you login, you’ll see a message about things being disabled.  

Once it finishes, remove that variable. That should fix your issue. 

Make sure you update your third party resources. If no updates are available you might need to remove it. 

I understand, thank you. It's just that I can't find constants.php

21 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You create a file named constants.php

Its your server error logs you need to be checking, not your console. If you are unsure how to do this, you would need to contact your hosting company for assistance.

I would like to avoid starting to search the server. Shouldn't the error be something trivial?
The most logical seems to be to log in in safe mode as Randy Calvert suggests, but where to get constants.php to edit and upload?

2 hours ago, arrowman said:

I would like to avoid starting to search the server. Shouldn't the error be something trivial?

It very likely is, yes. However without looking at your server error logs, you wont know what 'it' is, unfortunatetely. You can of course use recovery mode which will allow you to disable everything, but that will not tell you specifically which item was causing your issue.

2 hours ago, arrowman said:

The most logical seems to be to log in in safe mode as Randy Calvert suggests, but where to get constants.php to edit and upload?

I feel you may be misunderstanding this part. You create a file named constants.php, and add that text. So you are not looking for a file here.

49 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

It very likely is, yes. However without looking at your server error logs, you wont know what 'it' is, unfortunatetely. You can of course use recovery mode which will allow you to disable everything, but that will not tell you specifically which item was causing your issue.

I feel you may be misunderstanding this part. You create a file named constants.php, and add that text. So you are not looking for a file here.

What text?

7 minutes ago, arrowman said:

What text?

As per:

<?php
define('RECOVERY_MODE',True);

If you don't have a file named constants.php in the root of your site (meaning in the same folder as conf_global.php), you simply create a new file with that what is noted above and upload it to your site.  Once recovery mode is complete, you'll then remove it afterwards.  (The ACP will not let you login with recovery mode enabled once it's disabled everything.)

Edited by Randy Calvert

Hello,
I followed the instructions and logged in. Once I logged in I received a message that I could check out the constants.php file. I did so, but the topic is gone and I'm only seeing the text with links.
If I visit the site and click on any link, I get a 404 error.

1 hour ago, Randy Calvert said:

Once recovery mode is complete, you'll then remove it afterwards.

You need to remove the recovery flag now that it is complete. 🙂

If that was the only thing in constants file, just delete the whole file. If there were other things just remove the recovery line and reupload. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

Hi, thanks for all the help so far. We are very close to the goal (10% remaining).
The thing is that in step 1 I have identified the application (Chatbox) and in step 2 the background theme (Chameleon Dark) but I am missing the IPS one or the one that the system uses by default. I can't think of how to continue. When trying to match or search for it in the market place I get 404 errors. Could contain: File, Webpage, Monitor, Screen, Hardware, Electronics, Computer Hardware

• Solution

Hello! It works without errors! Thanks for all the help!

In short, the error, it seems to me, was largely due to the cache:
Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Could not execute 'addAll' on 'Cache': Request failed. this error message persisted to the end.
There were several steps and it is difficult to give credit to anyone.
The solution to the "No apps available to update" problem was a collective contribution that I'll try to summarize:

[Randy Calvert]
1) Log in to safe mode after uploading a php file called "constants.php" containing the line of code:
<?php
define('RECOVERY_MODE',True);
2) Once logged in, remove the line of code or the entire "constant.php" file from the server.

I think at this point it would have been better to have continued with:

[Randy Calvert]
Use the support link and then click the link to clear system cache.

but I continued with:

[Jim M.]
1) Disable URL rewrites in ACP > System > Search Engine Optimization.
2) Download ".htaccess" provided on the same page and upload it to the server.
3) Enable URL Rewrites in ACP > System > Search Engine Optimization.