Users can't register anymore (invalid_grant)

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Since last week, users can't register at Forum anymore. 

How to fix this? We are using the Invision Community 4.7.2.1.

At Admin logs, show this:

Reoccurring system log entries may be indicative of a problem that should be addressed. A summary of the top reoccurring recent log entries are shown below. Review the system log for further details.

• Array ( [error] => invalid_grant [error_description] => Bad Request )

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

Thank you, I was able to login now. Do you know what login/registration method is being used when this is being encountered?

I ask, as I just tried all methods to register and login with and I did not see any issues. Nor did this error popup again so we would need more info to further troubleshoot what is happening here.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Thank you, I was able to login now. Do you know what login/registration method is being used when this is being encountered?

I ask, as I just tried all methods to register and login with and I did not see any issues. Nor did this error popup again so we would need more info to further troubleshoot what is happening here.

The users mentioned that tried to register via Register Page (normal). After submit form, appears the message: "You don't have authorization to create an account at this website".

Can I send you, as private message (because has member data), the screenshots to demonstrate it? 

8 minutes ago, Futtura said:

The users mentioned that tried to register via Register Page (normal). After submit form, appears the message: "You don't have authorization to create an account at this website".

Can I send you, as private message (because has member data), the screenshots to demonstrate it? 

Is the email address or IP address used by that user blocked?

ACP > Members > Member Settings > Ban Settings

Typically I only see that message if the user is blocked...  or if they're not allowed by the Spam Prevention System...

ACP > Members > Content Moderation > Spam Prevention > Spam Defense Logs

6 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Is the email address or IP address used by that user blocked?

ACP > Members > Member Settings > Ban Settings

Typically I only see that message if the user is blocked...  or if they're not allowed by the Spam Prevention System...

ACP > Members > Content Moderation > Spam Prevention > Spam Defense Logs

Thank you for your response.

Checking the Spam Defense Logs, shows the users that cannot register, with Response = 4. But any criteria was found at Ban Settings (name, email or IP), including piece of criteria. I don't know the reason they cannot register. 

What are your Spam Defense settings set to?

Could contain: Page, Text, Document

If they have a score of 4, it by DEFAULT most likely is set to not allow the user to register.   

If that is the case, you can either lower the action taken for scores of "4" or add their IP address to the Spam Defense Whitelist to allow them to register regardless of what their reputation is.  Just know that that their email or IP address is known to have been doing bad things elsewhere.  

9 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

What are your Spam Defense settings set to?

Could contain: Page, Text, Document

If they have a score of 4, it by DEFAULT most likely is set to not allow the user to register.   

If that is the case, you can either lower the action taken for scores of "4" or add their IP address to the Spam Defense Whitelist to allow them to register regardless of what their reputation is.  Just know that that their email or IP address is known to have been doing bad things elsewhere.  

The Spam Defense is disabled, should I enable it?

I'll try to add the IP's at Whitelist, but it's impossible to control this to new users.

• Solution

As you're using CloudFlare, you will want to enable "Trust IP addresses provided by proxies?" in ACP -> System -> Advanced Configuration. That will prevent CloudFlare's IP addresses from being used as the user's and creating a false positive in the Spam Defense system.

8 hours ago, Futtura said:

Since last week, users can't register at Forum anymore. 

What was the most recent change/modification done to the forum before this happened? Something has triggered this.

Do you have any apps installed that have to do with the regitration process?

22 minutes ago, Jim M said:

As you're using CloudFlare, you will want to enable "Trust IP addresses provided by proxies?" in ACP -> System -> Advanced Configuration. That will prevent CloudFlare's IP addresses from being used as the user's and creating a false positive in the Spam Defense system.

Nice, you found the problem! Thanks a lot! 😀

The problem is that Cloudflare is passing the proxy IP. So, now, we enable the "mod_remoteip" into Apache server, to serve the real IP.

More information: Restoring original visitor IPs