Webp Compression

Ibai

Hi there,

I don't know if this is a feature request or a bug. The point is that lately I'm using WEBP images in my community. However, when I upload a webp image, it turns that instead of compress it uncompresses the image. 

I upload a 33kb image that finally weights 60kb.

Any ideas?

This is due to 'JPG and WebP Quality' (ACP > System > Overview > Files > Image Settings)

I also think this is a problem as I understand when it reduces the quality if so set, but not when it increases beyond the file size.

It's like the system makes it 110% size.

11 minutes ago, Hisashi said:

This is due to 'JPG and WebP Quality' (ACP > System > Overview > Files > Image Settings)

I also think this is a problem as I understand when it reduces the quality if so set, but not when it increases beyond the file size.

It's like the system makes it 110% size.

Hum... I see, then seems to be a bug.

I have set up 100/100 of quality. Maybe it should just passthrough the image instead of "compress" it to 100%. It increases the size of the image, yes...

What uploads are we even talking about? Attachments? Their thumbnails? Gallery images? …? And what are the settings for those?

If the file needs to be processed, then it will be compressed using the settings for the web graphics engine. Yes, that can make a file larger in certain circumstances, but it’s in the nature of the process. It’s a side-effect and unavoidable. You can’t keep the original file size if you need to run the image through a size change and then the new compression. The file size will be, what it will be. It’s always been this way with online image processing. But not all uploads are supposed to be processed. So, we should first clarify what images we are talking about. For example: the attachment settings for ‘Maximum image dimensions to display’ and ‘Maximum image dimensions to save’ will define if the image is processed at all. 

P.S. A setting of 100/100 is really not a good choice if one cares about file size. The recommendation IPS gives is 80 to 90. I have it 75, even on my graphic design communities, where a good quality is necessary for the images. But 100 is just wasteful for online content. 

Hey @opentype thanks for your clear reply.

It's the Main Image (I don't know the name) for articles o databases the one that I'm talking about. I don't know if they have a maximum size or what.

I have every image upload disabled so no one can attach images to posts as my community is big and... my disk would collapse xD . But I allow to set images for articles and upload screenshots in Files system.

What do you think about those kind of images?

On the other hand, thanks for your experience. I dropped it to 90. The point is that when I post an article, I create the image in Photoshop and I already compress it before upload it to my community. That's why I was setting up it to 100/100. In your case, how do you perform in these situations?

8 hours ago, Ibai said:

It's the Main Image (I don't know the name) for articles o databases the one that I'm talking about. I don't know if they have a maximum size or what.

This is called the Record Image and the settings are in the database settings for each Pages database. 

If you raise those values and upload an image that is smaller and web optimized, it will not touched/recompressed. 

On 7/29/2022 at 5:55 AM, opentype said:

This is called the Record Image and the settings are in the database settings for each Pages database. 

If you raise those values and upload an image that is smaller and web optimized, it will not touched/recompressed. 

Thanks man!

I see this:

Could contain: Text, Page

The Max Image dimensions, are bigger than the image that I upload (760x380px). Should it touch the image when I upload it?

Not related to this but something I was wondering, when I regenerated the htaccess for rewriting urls, it changed this line

RewriteRule \.(js|css|jpeg|jpg|gif|png|ico|map)(\?|$) /404error.php [L,NC]

to

RewriteRule \.(js|css|jpeg|jpg|gif|png|ico|map|webp)(\?|$) /404error.php [L,NC]

If I didn't regenerate the htaccess I wouldn't have known, so just wondering is this a recommended change