Granting Badges more then Once

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hey All,

As we work on our test conversion and learn IPB4, I've been working on feature parity with our existing software. It seems that 41 addons will go down to about 1, two depending on the answers to my following question.

We like to manually give users a badge every month depending on the tier that they pledge to us on at Patreon. Is it possible to grant the same badge more then once, every month? I just tested it, and the system doesn't seem to allow me to grant the same badge again. I don't mind if it just updates the date on a badge regrant or actually gives them multiples of the same badge, either is fine.

Or do I need an addon like:

I would appreciate any advise.

Edited by The Dark Wizard

• Solution

A badge in the Achievements system can only be assigned once. If you would like to see this in a future release, I would recommend posting this in our Feature Suggestion forum. Otherwise, yes, this would require an add-on/customization to get what you are looking for here.

Just now, Jim M said:

A badge in the Achievements system can only be assigned once. If you would like to see this in a future release, I would recommend posting this in our Feature Suggestion forum. Otherwise, yes, this would require an add-on/customization to get what you are looking for here.

Sounds good.

Just now, Nathan Explosion said:

Using this site as an example - you guys award badges multiple times to users. Example from my own profile - 4 helpful badges awarded in my last five:

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol, Credit Card, Word

That is a reward, which is a little different than manual assignment.

1 minute ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Using this site as an example - you guys award badges multiple times to users. Example from my own profile - 4 helpful badges awarded in my last five:

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol, Credit Card, Word

How do we accomplish this?

It sounds like that's not possible according to @Jim M

So yeah, instead of helpful, we'd have a badge called "Gold" or supporter that we give to a person manually once every month for staying pledged.

Just now, Jim M said:

That is a reward, which is a little different than manual assignment.

Could a reward trigger be as simple as being in X group at time of trigger run?

We plan to automate the adding and removal of groups with Patreon any way, so if every 1st or second you are still in X group, it just gives you the badge.

Edited by The Dark Wizard

4 minutes ago, The Dark Wizard said:

Could a reward trigger be as simple as being in X group at time of trigger run?

We plan to automate the adding and removal of groups with Patreon any way, so if every 1st or second you are still in X group, it just gives you the badge.

A reward is an option on posts, which you "reward" someone for doing something. It cannot be assigned via the ACP or automatically so you could use it for what you want but it would include some information on the front-end on random posts and highly manual process.

10 minutes ago, The Dark Wizard said:

How do we accomplish this?

Front-end, multiples can be awarded:

Could contain: Text, Page, Letter, Label, Word

Via the ACP - click 'Manage'

Could contain: Text, File

Then click 'Add badge':

Could contain: Text, Symbol, Flag, Word

And you can then give them any of the badges you have set as 'Manually awardable'

The above method via the ACP would meet your initial request if your feature suggestion got implemented (no need to dig around and find a post made by the user then)

Edited by Nathan Explosion

7 minutes ago, Jim M said:

A reward is an option on posts, which you "reward" someone for doing something. It cannot be assigned via the ACP or automatically so you could use it for what you want but it would include some information on the front-end on random posts and highly manual process.

So I've granted the First Post (via the ACP members badge) badge out to a test user as an example and on their profile, I don't see anything exposed except the date and the badge title which is perfect.

We've been unfortunately manually handing out badges every month to users manually for like 6+ years now, it's a thing we have actual staff set to do.

9 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Yeah, found it via that way!

9 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

The above method via the ACP would meet your initial request if your feature suggestion got implemented (no need to dig around and find a post made by the user then)

Indeed. This would basically replicate our existing workflow of giving it to users manually, it's still painful but, it works.

I'll reach out to you via PM.

Marc Stridgen
This post was recognized by Marc Stridgen!

"test 1"

The Dark Wizard was awarded the badge 'Great Content'

3 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Glad to hear you found what you need, but do let us know if there is anything else you are unsure about.

It’s only what I need if my feature request gets made, need to be able to give someone a badge more then once, manually.

Marc Stridgen
This post was recognized by Marc Stridgen!

"test 2"

The Dark Wizard was awarded the badge 'Great Content'

4 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Im a little confused as to what you mean here. That is already the case, via "reward "as mentioned above

You cannot manually give a badge to someone more then once. 

If someone is pledged to our site on Patreon, we give them the same supporter badge once per month.

I made a feature request about it like @Jim M suggested I do.

47 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Are you referring to on the same item of content? I have actually given you the same badge on 2 occasions here, just to illustrate

I saw that.

21 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Front-end, multiples can be awarded:

Could contain: Text, Page, Letter, Label, Word

Could contain: Text, File

Then click 'Add badge':

Could contain: Text, Symbol, Flag, Word

And you can then give them any of the badges you have set as 'Manually awardable'

Like this, try to give me the same badge twice via the back end. You cannot.