Forum Branding free?

Yes, it's a great situation isn't it that is not mentioned when you buy.

You are forced to

• Pay for the product
  • Pay a 6 month license fee
  • Advertise free for Invision
  • Link to Invision free
  • You have to pay Invision NOT to advertise and backlink to their site

Win, Win for Invision of course.

@MattI did check the sales page and help guides for mentions of branding. If I had seen something I would have provided a link. Some companies provide for personalized branding some don't, some charge and some don't.  As such, you might consider letting potential customers know your policy and pricing before purchase.

Customers:

Some third-party developers charge an extra fee to remove their branding some don't brand their apps at all.  To replicate the functionality of the IPS suite and third-party add-ons it would take a dedicated development team and a very, very large budget.  Paying to remove branding can give the appearance of a custom site while only having to pay pennies on the dollar.  The reality is few members will be fooled that you designed and built the site from scratch.

Increased sales for IPS and third-party apps via branding links insures they continue to have the development budget to continue releasing new and useful updates. They need every win they can to continue to develop.  

Instead of looking at personalized branding simply as another fee, think of it as an investment in your community.

I would recommend reaching out to the sales team for any company you wish to do business with to find out what is or isn't included and pricing for various add-ons prior to making any purchases.

Edited by Chris Anderson

3 hours ago, Chris Anderson said:

Increased sales for IPS and third-party apps via branding links insures they continue to have the development budget to continue releasing new and useful updates. They need every win they can to continue to develop.  

Instead of looking at personalized branding simply as another fee, think of it as an investment in your community.

@Chris Anderson I don't agree with you in any way on the above point. However, Invision should certainly be employing you in a PR role. Your attempt to spin a negative into a positive is impressive.

I'm reasonbly certain that small and non commercial forums are not labouring under the illusion that by removing Invision's branding anyone would think they had built there forum from the ground up themselves.

Your premise that the presence of Invision's branding with backlinks somehow supports development and updates is quite frankly laughable. Everyone paid for the product in the first instance and pays a license fee every 6 months in the second instance presumably for development and updates and an income stream for Invision.

Very few forum owners would be willing to pay the massive $500 fee to have the branding removed.

Only corporate and large business's would, if they even carry Invision's branding in the first place and let's face facts most development and updates will be done for their benefit anyway.

Edited by Bethanyrayne

@Bethanyrayne

You might think that I was attempting to spin a negative into a positive and you would be completely wrong. I was simply relaying some points of view that “some” developers adhere to. 

Please don’t assume comments are meant to be either positive or negative in nature.  Occasionally they can be neutral and meant to be helpful. With that in mind your comment to me could have been framed in a more positive fashion.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 2:00 AM, Bethanyrayne said:

Yes, it's a great situation isn't it that is not mentioned when you buy.

You are forced to

• Pay for the product
  • Pay a 6 month license fee
  • Advertise free for Invision
  • Link to Invision free
  • You have to pay Invision NOT to advertise and backlink to their site

Win, Win for Invision of course.

Have you ever created a business, and hired skilled employees, and paid for insurance, and marketing, etc., etc., etc?  All that stuff cost money, you know.  So the business has to figure out ways to make that money.  

I'm new to invision communities, but from what I've seen so far, I'm impressed.  They deserve to be able to pay their employees well and to make profit...  Plus, that's part of what motivated people to create amazing products and services to begin with.

And if you don't like it, don't buy it.  Or try hiring someone to personally build your own forum software.  I'm sure you'll end up paying much much more.

Or, you could go with MyBB... it's free.  But it's nothing compared to invision.

Edited by Lucas Thompson