[Bug] Can post anonymously?, IPS 4.6.8

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Please ensure you have all the latest patches added and test this again. If you are still seeing the same, we would need specific instructions to replicate. I cant seem to replicate this at all on my end. 

Steps taken

1. Posted a new topic under my normal user account
  2. Logged into the ACP and used log in as to log in as a moderator
  3. Edited my topic
  4. CLicked to show the user, and it still shows it was created by the member who created it

On 11/6/2021 at 7:36 PM, Afrodude said:

important to report because IPS doesn't have change author option anymore

Aaa thats why can change it. I have the bug when a topic is edited im the author.

I have the same bug then. All my members can post anonymously

56 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Please ensure you have all the latest patches added and test this again. If you are still seeing the same, we would need specific instructions to replicate. I cant seem to replicate this at all on my end. 

Steps taken

1. Posted a new topic under my normal user account
  2. Logged into the ACP and used log in as to log in as a moderator
  3. Edited my topic
  4. CLicked to show the user, and it still shows it was created by the member who created it

1. okay. Make sure it's posted on a forum where you have "Allow anonymous content?" Enabled from Posting Settings 

2. Yes, but make sure the moderator group have "can post anonymously?" Enabled from group settings.

3. Edit the post/topic from the normal user account.

4. Refresh the page and you will see that post was posted by the normal user has changed the author to the moderator user.

Edited by Afrodude

6 minutes ago, Afrodude said:

1. okay. Make sure it's posted on a forum where you have "Allow anonymous content?" Enabled from Posting Settings 

2. Yes, but make sure the moderator group have "can post anonymously?" Enabled from group settings.

3. Edit the post/topic from the normal user account.

4. Refresh the page and you will see that post was posted by the normal user has changed the author to the moderator user.

Sorry, Im not sure this make sense. You state there you edit the post/topic with a normal user account, but you cannot do that. It would have to be a moderator if they are editing another persons content. As I cannot replicate, I would need to ensure these instructions are correct

Just now, Marc Stridgen said:

Sorry, Im not sure this make sense. You state there you edit the post/topic with a normal user account, but you cannot do that. It would have to be a moderator if they are editing another persons content. As I cannot replicate, I would need to ensure these instructions are correct

If i edit a start post with a tag and a new title the author from the startpost is changed from a user to myself (admin).

https://www.duken.nl/forums/topic/38627-protonmail-ervaring/

Happend two times now after the 4.6.8 upgrade.

More info: User Mickey creates a topic "I NEEED HELP!" 

ADMIN changed the topic to "I need some help" with a tag "help". The author changed to me and it is not created by Mickey anymore.

For now i change myself to anonymous as poster otherwise it really weird for Mickey

1 minute ago, Duken said:

If i edit a start post with a tag and a new title the author from the startpost is changed from a user to myself (admin).

https://www.duken.nl/forums/topic/38627-protonmail-ervaring/

Happend two times now after the 4.6.8 upgrade.

More info: User Mickey creates a topic "I NEEED HELP!" 

ADMIN changed the topic to "I need some help" with a tag "help". The author changed to me and it is not created by Mickey anymore.

For now i change myself to anonymous as poster otherwise it really weird for Mickey

Please could you update your access details on file?

1 minute ago, Marc Stridgen said:

1. okay. Make a normal post as normal user account on a forum that you sure it has "Allow anonymous content?" Enabled from Posting Settings 

3. Edit the post/topic from the normal user account by using the moderator account ( I hope now it make more sense dear )

@Duken I suggest to buy this plugin 

It is worth having it all the time. This bug won't be fixed soon, and we will have to wait for the next release or until IPS figure out what causing this issue. Moreover, without it I couldn't reverse what this bug caused. 

Edited by Afrodude

4 minutes ago, Afrodude said:

@Duken I suggest to buy this plugin 

It is worth having it all the time. This bug won't be fixed soon, and we will have to wait for the next release or until IPS figure out what causing this issue. Moreover, without I couldn't reverse what this bug caused. 

I would note that this is an assumption here. There are items that are patched between releases, as you have seen with other problems. 

Thank you for notifying us of this, our developers can reproduce this and we have logged a bug report for this to be resolved

13 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I would note that this is an assumption here. There are items that are patched between releases, as you have seen with other problems. 

This is not an assumption here, and I have been long enough with IPS in order to know what's going on. 

This current bug is related to the same bug that IPS didn't even bother to do investigation on what causing it back in July.

I am the only one who had spent time and months to figure out what causing it after the nonsense comments here and there on September 2021.

You do the math how long it took me to do what IPS should have done, and then the fix was the release of this current bug. 

2 hours ago, Afrodude said:

This is not an assumption here, and I have been long enough with IPS in order to know what's going on. 

This current bug is related to the same bug that IPS didn't even bother to do investigation on what causing it back in July.

I am the only one who had spent time and months to figure out what causing it after the nonsense comments here and there on September 2021.

You do the math how long it took me to do what IPS should have done, and then the fix was the release of this current bug. 

While I fully appreciate the frustration here, and indeed there has been a further bug introduced, I must disagree with the statement that it is not an assumption. As a regular user of the software, Im sure you are aware we have released patches on many occasions on the software. I was letting you know here that it may well not be the case that you are awaiting till the next release. This is not to say that it wont, however to state it will without any internal knowledge of what is going on with the bug is a little misleading to others who may be reading your text.

Please dont misunderstand, I am very much aware this is a bug that needs a resolution, and as mentioned above, I very much appreciate your frustration. 

9 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Just a quick update to let you know a patch was just released for 4.6.8, and is available within the support area of your admin CP. No need to wait for the next release 🙂 

The patch giving this error after the normal upgrade.

update.thumb.png.74dd670ea73376ecace0bbc5abb1a3d8.png

update2.thumb.png.94ccd136fa016e30383ed1726de82ccb.png

I had to use admin/upgrade in order to finish the update.