WebP and reprocessing images

40 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Yes and no, it's currently only supported on Cloud when using GD library to process images but we default to ImageMagick library since it's much better (speed, resource usage etc) for processing images. We are going to be reviewing this soon, so I've made a note for us to look further into this.

Thank you for the reply.

Just received a respond from tech support as I had somewhat of an addendum to this query. That being, I am unable to utilize .webp in general posting as well even though all extensions are allowed. As such, I am assuming the GD library setting translates to the thread posting aspect as well(?).

13 hours ago, My Sharona said:

Thank you for the reply.

Just received a respond from tech support as I had somewhat of an addendum to this query. That being, I am unable to utilize .webp in general posting as well even though all extensions are allowed. As such, I am assuming the GD library setting translates to the thread posting aspect as well(?).

Yes, that's right. The image library choice affects anywhere an image may be uploaded.

• 2 months later...
On 3/14/2022 at 3:06 PM, Stuart Silvester said:

Yes and no, it's currently only supported on Cloud when using GD library to process images but we default to ImageMagick library since it's much better (speed, resource usage etc) for processing images. We are going to be reviewing this soon, so I've made a note for us to look further into this.

Has a review been started for this as yet?

Having thought about it for a few now... it would seem that the tradeoff of the advantage of being able to utilize .webp is offset by the speed of ImageMagick. As such switching wouldn't seem to be an advantage as currently set up. Now if .webp was combined with the speed of ImageMagick, that would seem to be optimal.

TYIA

2 hours ago, My Sharona said:

Has a review been started for this as yet?

Having thought about it for a few now... it would seem that the tradeoff of the advantage of being able to utilize .webp is offset by the speed of ImageMagick. As such switching wouldn't seem to be an advantage as currently set up. Now if .webp was combined with the speed of ImageMagick, that would seem to be optimal.

TYIA

I believe we're addressing this soon when we do some other platform updates. 👍🏻

• 1 month later...