Hump Day: 4.6.0 soft launch 🤫

On 6/9/2021 at 7:04 PM, Davyc said:

Yeah errors still all over the forums and Pages apps:

image.thumb.png.51309060bfb4b1d3354b893f649ddd04.png

This is the default theme not a third party theme.

And on pages: this part of the error report:

TypeError: count(): Argument #1 ($var) must be of type Countable|array, null given (0)
#0 /homepages/applications/cms/sources/Theme/Theme.php(610) : eval()'d code(538): IPS\Theme\class_cms_database_category_articles->entry(Object(IPS\cms\Records1), Object(IPS\cms\Databases))
#1 /homepages/applications/cms/modules/front/database/index.php(142): IPS\Theme\class_cms_database_category_articles->index(Object(IPS\cms\Databases), Object(IPS\Patterns\ActiveRecordIterator), Object(IPS\Http\Url\Friendly), Array)

I had one plugin which I disabled. Switched back to PHP 7.4 and everything works.

Did you manage to figure out what was causing the error on PHP 8? I'm getting the same, but it works flawlessly on PHP 7.4.

50 minutes ago, The Heff said:

Did you manage to figure out what was causing the error on PHP 8? I'm getting the same, but it works flawlessly on PHP 7.4.

No it still throws up errors - I find it somewhat annoying because the template and theme it refers to is the default theme lol.  It may have something to do with version number of PHP as someone else on here states that it works flawlessly but they have a higher version of PHP 8 than I have, it's not a huge difference but it may be enough, who knows?  I'll keep trying and let you know if I figure out what the issue is 🙂

4 hours ago, Davyc said:

No it still throws up errors - I find it somewhat annoying because the template and theme it refers to is the default theme lol.  It may have something to do with version number of PHP as someone else on here states that it works flawlessly but they have a higher version of PHP 8 than I have, it's not a huge difference but it may be enough, who knows?  I'll keep trying and let you know if I figure out what the issue is 🙂

Cheers

I'll keep trying as well, and share if I figure it out. It's most annoying.

11 hours ago, The Heff said:

Out of curiosity, what version do you have? I'm on 8.0.7.

I only have 8.0.5 available.  I haven't tried another theme as yet, so it could be the theme that's throwing it off, unless you have tried another theme and it's just the same; I'm using the default theme 🙂

38 minutes ago, Davyc said:

I only have 8.0.5 available.  I haven't tried another theme as yet, so it could be the theme that's throwing it off, unless you have tried another theme and it's just the same; I'm using the default theme 🙂

It does it on my default theme and on both custom themes. I've raised a ticket for it.

14 minutes ago, The Heff said:

The error occurs on the default theme with in forum view or topic view.

Same here and it also happens in pages but with a more elaborate error: see below.

And on pages: this part of the error report, trimmed down:

TypeError: count(): Argument #1 ($var) must be of type Countable|array, null given (0)
#0 /homepages/applications/cms/sources/Theme/Theme.php(610) : eval()'d code(538): IPS\Theme\class_cms_database_category_articles->entry(Object(IPS\cms\Records1), Object(IPS\cms\Databases))
#1 /homepages/applications/cms/modules/front/database/index.php(142): IPS\Theme\class_cms_database_category_articles->index(Object(IPS\cms\Databases), Object(IPS\Patterns\ActiveRecordIterator), Object(IPS\Http\Url\Friendly), Array)

I had one plugin which I disabled. Switched back to PHP 7.4 and everything works.

1 hour ago, Davyc said:

Same here and it also happens in pages but with a more elaborate error: see below.

And on pages: this part of the error report, trimmed down:

Can you please share the plugin name? Thanks. 

PS Awaiting for 4.6 available for self hosted folks. I am thinking to update to php 8 as well but will hold off. Thinking to update IPS first and then php later, followed by MySQL. 

The plugin is @opentype Supergrid, but I don't for one minute assume that the plugin is at fault because I disabled it and the issue remained, so it wasn't the plugin which is now validated for 4.6.x and nothing has changed other than the validation.  The issue is either with the default theme, or the version of PHP being used 🙂

Just to be clear, I am self-hosted and not on the IPS cloud.

Edited by Davyc
Added that I'm self hosted

7 hours ago, Davyc said:

but I don't for one minute assume that the plugin is at fault because I disabled it and the issue remained

I have no plugins that affect the topic view or forum view, so I can confirm the error occurred on the default theme with no plugins affecting it. The only 3rd party application/plugin I use is Chatbox, and that isn't on any of the affected pages.

The ticket I raised for this has been passed to the advanced support team.

As a developer I read IPS staff announcement for 4.6.

Supported PHP & MySQL Versions:
The PHP min version was increased to PHP 7.2 in IPS 4.6, this means that your marketplace submissions are required to work with this version, but keep in mind that few clients are going to use php8, so I would really suggest to try to get your code working with both versions, which means that you'll need to implement some changes to avoid some BC breaks in PHP8.
Here's a great list

https://www.php.net/manual/en/migration80.incompatible.php

I got a response to my ticket:

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I have investigated the issue you reported and the problem appears to be a bug in the current release of Invision Community.

I have submitted a potential solution for the issue described here and upon review by the development team the fix should be included in an upcoming release of Invision Community. Unfortunately, at this time I am unable to say exactly which release this fix will be included in.

So it'll be fixed. 👍

Thanks to @Daniel F for his patience in actually getting access to my server. #UpdateAccessInformation

Edited by The Heff

for his patience in actually getting access to my server. #UpdateAccessInformation

That's why we really ask all clients to keep their details in the client area up 2 date or at least to verify them before they submit a ticket (AND REALLY verify everything 😂 )

Anyway, I'm glad that you brought this up so that I could investigate it on your system 🙂