Manually updating marketplace files

Daddy

On 1/15/2021 at 4:11 AM, Stuart Silvester said:

As noted, it's up to the author to define these terms as they can differ between resources. They have the ability to display their own terms & conditions prior to you purchasing or installing the resource. This was also a new capability we added with 4.5, I expect these T&Cs will be populated as files are updated.

I know i have spent a fair sum of $ in the MP and i don't mind at all paying the renewal fees for any app that i purchase and the IPS software itself, I will be looking to build more sites soon but if i have to pay the full fee again to use an app that i have already have i may look at other software, I like the MP the way it is now as its easy to use and i don't have to mess around with keeping files but to pay for an app more than once i will not do.

@Noble~ I agree. However, as long as the author has the option not to charge per site, this should be fine. Those of us who refuse to do so will look elsewhere for the same thing, and that is enough encouragement for most not to enforce something like this.

I'm fine with renewals also. I'm not fine with the lack of warning users get when purchasing a file with a renewal. Like most software, renewals are typically for future updates, not to be able to access the content you already have licensed.

Since you already added the warning to buy a copy per site, you should also include a warning about renewals and make it clear that the user must pay the renewal before they can access the file again in the future once it expires.

I had to pay a renewal on a file that hasn't been updated in over 2 years just to be able to reinstall the version I already paid for. The renewal was almost the same price as the file. What did I pay for exactly? Not trying to jump down that rabbit hole but this is very annoying to have to deal with.

3 hours ago, Deathicated said:

Sorry, but what? Clearly the comment you quote states I prefer having plugins made privately so I can use them however and wherever. Kind of the whole point of private work is it not? lol

Yes. This is what some communities need. This is not what 4.5 Marketplace is.

Not sure how long you've been around but very few developers enforce this and I can only imagine because of the lack of sales from doing so. Enforcing something like this is not good for business because a lot of us here run multiple sites and it just doesn't make sense paying that much for something that we cannot modify or keep a copy of for that matter.

Whether or not it's enforced is irrelevant. 4.5 Marketplace is addressing this problem. If you have 30 IPS installs and you want to install a $10 modification on all of them, and the developer expects you to purchase for each install, you should expect to pay $300 via Marketplace or work with the developer outside of Marketplace to make other arrangements that include terms you'd like.

If you want to keep it in its raw format outside of your filesystem backups, work with the developer outside of Marketplace to make other arrangements to obtain those files.

If you're upset you can't install a thing on multiple sites after only paying once because it's bad for your business to pay for multiple licenses and you can't easily upload it across installations, that model sounds rather unfair to the contributors.

1 hour ago, Deathicated said:

I had to pay a renewal on a file that hasn't been updated in over 2 years just to be able to reinstall the version I already paid for. The renewal was almost the same price as the file. What did I pay for exactly?

This is what needs to be changed in the Marketplace. We should have the option to download the file version we paid for, and then if it doesn’t work or it needs updating we’ll pay for the upgrade.

@Paul E. Not to be rude, but your replies are so out of touch from what's actually being said here. No one is calling for these systems to be removed, but to be improved and made more clear to end-users before they make a purchase.

I have no issue with authors requiring 1 copy per website, it's more so the fact that the author's do not seem to have a choice in the matter anymore. If IPB enforces this, a lot of us will jump ship. We aren't boycotting, we're just expressing our opinion.

Not to be rude, but your replies are so out of touch from what's actually being said here. No one is calling for these systems to be removed, but to be improved and made more clear to end-users before they make a purchase.

I somehow didn't see the last two replies. My bad.

Communication to end-users is a needed improvement for future changes, and the rollout for the 4.5 Marketplace was not handled as well as it could have been. I think my previous comments on this change are clear in showing how disappointed we were with the sudden, surprising change at the time. In retrospect, it seems IPS did a good job communicating the change to contributors, yet not to standard self-hosted license holders. I'm hopeful that they've learned from this miscalculation and will be more forthcoming with future impacting changes.

I have no issue with authors requiring 1 copy per website, it's more so the fact that the author's do not seem to have a choice in the matter anymore. If IPB enforces this, a lot of us will jump ship. We aren't boycotting, we're just expressing our opinion.

I don't have multiple IPS licenses, so I am not familiar with how the installation of a resource across multiple installs in 4.5 Marketplace is handled. From @Stuart Silvester's earlier reply, it seems that contributors have the ability to set terms that may allow for the use of a single purchase on multiple IPS installs. At least as things stand right now, it seems that there's no change in the choice contributors have.