Legacy specific upgrades

AndyF

Been away from the community here for a while 🙂

Anyway cut to the chase, has anything in particular changed with a legacy upgrade ? I am talking about 3x (specifically 349) to 4.5 , I do realise no 4x version -ever- supported directly a 2x upgrade (going via 3x was needed)

Upon attempting to use the upgrader you are given a "Unknown column 'conf_app' in 'field list' " error , this with a UTF8 349 database. Had it been a 2x database -or- an early pre 3.3 database I would of expected an error but not with "the last" 34x series.

I half wondered if I'd missed something out, but nothing immediately springs to mind. The conf file is fine unless some entries in it are upsetting for 4x compared to 3x (archive and things)

Thoughts appreciated please. 🙂

[b]EDIT...[/b] Obviously I can't install a fresh 45 first then attempt to run an upgrade as it will quite rightly complain an installation exists in that database.

Edited by AndyF

lol I spoke too soon, Downloads sql issue 😞

BLOB/TEXT column 'field_1' used in key specification without a key length
*****\applications\downloads\setup\upg_100013\upgrade.php::49

ALTER TABLE `downloads_ccontent` ADD KEY `field_1` (`field_1`)

Used php 7.2.18 and mysql 5.7.26 for this.

Line 49 is:

\IPS\Db::i()->addIndex( 'downloads_ccontent', array( 'type' => 'key', 'name' => "field_" . $field['cf_id'], 'columns' => array( "field_" . $field['cf_id'] ) ) );

Unsure if I should retry it afresh with php 7.3 as mysql version would be the same. Can't run that query manually either.

Not intended in a negative manner but I -am- surprised slightly QA did not get this when testing a 3x upgrade 😞 Unless hmm , no I'll not say more than I'd test 3x upgrades 🙂

Appreciate any thoughts on this, bear in mind this is a localhost test as I can't do it live until it works, ideally I want to upgrade it locally then move the whole "ready to go" onto the live server.

Edited by AndyF

The standard upgrader should be able to handle the whole upgrade.

You delete old files, upload new files (make sure PHP is on the correct version) and start with the upgrader. I haven't had any issues upgrading 3.4.x to any new version. I think I even did an old 2.x with the standard upgrader.

Thanks both.

The Downloads database issue refers to custom fields, I had to hax up the upgrade file a bit to fix this 😞 Custom Fields are something that can escape QA unfortunately it seems. I'll raise a ticket on this later this week as I want to provide some feedback about other stuff.

My "hax" method was to just throw the custom fields out and chop the code out of the upgrader for that, not 100% ideal but I wanted a 'quick fix' to test the rest of it. I can in my case here recreate them without too much trauma anyway. THis is not really the way to go I know however for what I needed to to it is fine.

Adriano, this does not work , that is the standard method I've used. It does not like the 349 database, previous 4x versions would accept it so I'm not sure what changed.

Morrigan, you're correct it should but it does not. There's no (or there was) code for a 2x to 4x upgrade built into 4x, you'd need to temporarily upgrade a 1x or 2x database to 3x (any version really) then upgrade that to 4x

🙂

Can't use mentions as Firefox seems to have issues with adding text after same as emoticons too, hence just bolded text. I know this is a browser issue and I'm not concerned about that as its existed in all 4x versions. It only happens if you have a snail's pace internet connection I think.

Edited by AndyF

6 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

I'd have to look into my older databases. Its been a while but I upgraded a 1.3 to a 4.3/4 no issues.

I can't be 100% but if I had to take a wild guess I'd say it was 4.4.x or 4.5.x specific, possibly 4.5.x for the 'unknown column' concern. I don't have any previous 4x versions to hand to verify. Should be easy to duplicate though, any 34x database dropped into 4.5.x to find out , no need for the 3x one to have any addon apps.

[b]EDIT...[/b] Editor threw away some content 😞

The downloads issue I'd say crept in in 4.4.x or 4.5.x as I'm almost certain I did a test upgrade with all apps at 4.3.something quite a few months ago.

Realised this topic should of been in Peer to Peer not Feedback however that might be a blessing in disguise actually as I'd consider (if the fault is not with me) both to be potentially bugs, possible one of them at least should of been caught by the internal QA team. I do need to write a positive feedback ticker later this week too. 🙂

🙂

Edited by AndyF