Facebook: Changes to token requirements will break your app

Hey guys, Facebook sent me this alert, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Do I need to do anything?

I use FB integration on my forum for users to sign in.

Changes to token requirements will break your applications function

Action required: You need to generate a client or app token to access user pictures starting October 23, 2020 @ 10AM PDT.

As part of Graph API v8.0, we've made changes to our token requirements. These changes will impact your app, BreatheHeavy.com/exhale

A client or app token will now be required for querying all picture endpoints, including user pictures through public_profile. Queries without a token will return a generic silhouette as the user picture.

If you still need access to user profile pictures, you need to generate a client or app token before these changes take effect on October 23, 2020 @ 10AM PDT.

If you no longer need access to these picture endpoints, no action is required.

View the full announcement here.

You can also find a complete list of changes in the v8.0 changelog and blog post.

All the changes are located here: 

https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2020/10/14/required-migration-token-based-access-user-picture-oEmbed-endpoints/

Thoughts? Is there anything I have to do? I don't quite understand 😆 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

Thanks man, but I'm also not sure what to make of that either lol. Does that mean I have nothing to worry about? Or will things break but IPS is working on it? Where are we at with it? 

We're aware of it and working towards a solution, per Daniel's post that he linked to 🙂

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

We're aware of it and working towards a solution, per Daniel's post that he linked to 🙂

Ok gotcha. So does that mean on October 23rd, people won't be able to login / register via Facebook anymore? And is there a date when this fix will get released? 

39 minutes ago, edudemacedo@gmail.com said:

Facebook loggin is no longer working in my forum.

Yesterday, I opened a support ticket #69548 in the Client Area.

No sollution for me yet.

EEEK! Scared of this! 

15 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Ok gotcha. So does that mean on October 23rd, people won't be able to login / register via Facebook anymore? And is there a date when this fix will get released? 

EEEK! Scared of this! 

No, it means profile picture imports and Facebook oembeds won't work correctly after that date absent a change on our end.