Spoilers

ahc

Since [spoiler] tags no longer work in 4.5, what can I do to have that functionality back?  

I'm talking about on here, Invision.  I hate sending images because they take up a lot of space, and now that I can't use bracket tags, there's no way for me to spoil anything because they don't have the button in the editor menu.

Edited by ahc

The following items have been marked as deprecated in Invision Community 4.5. This means that while they currently work, they will be removed in a future version and will no longer receive bug reports.

• BBCode parsing support - upgrading users will be asked during upgrade if they wish to retain BBCode parsing support, while new installations will have the option off by default.

We use [spoiler][/spoiler] a lot.How can this functionality be retained after its complete removal in a future version?

Do we need to create a new custom editor button with a copy of the code, or something else?

What is the current spoiler code itself if we need to re-insert it into the editor bar?

What of previous uses of [spoiler] tags across thousands of posts, will they still be retained after BBCode parsing is completely and finally gone?

Edited by PoC2

1 hour ago, PoC2 said:

Do we need to create a new custom editor button with a copy of the code, or something else?

You don't have to create a custom button, since one already comes as an option. Go to "Edit Toolbars" in the ACP, and drag the eye icon onto the toolbars to have it present for your users.

No, I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to that question. My suspicion is that the you will see this:

I'm going to introduce a [b]spoiler[/b] below, folks!

[spoiler]Isn't it a nice surprise?[/spoiler]

in your past content.

A spoiler now takes the following form:

<div class="ipsSpoiler" data-ipsspoiler="">
	<div class="ipsSpoiler_header">
		<span>Spoiler</span>
	</div>

<div class="ipsSpoiler_contents ipsClearfix">
		<p>
			The text you're hiding.
		</p>
	</div>
</div>

, so I assume you would have to run a script to change all instances of [spoiler] to the first bit, and [/spoiler] to the second. I'm in no way qualified to give that assessment, though, so I'd either wait for somebody to advise you with more certainty, or test it in a backup environment.

Perhaps IPS would consider some sort of task to pull this off automatically with old content?

2 hours ago, PoC2 said:

Thank you. 👍

Would you happen to know what happens to old BBCode use if we decide to drop BBCode parsing? Will it all convert to the new IPSSpoiler or will we be left with hundreds/thousands of [spoiler]...[/spoiler] text on posts with no hidden text?

There wasn’t live parsing of BB code for years. So everything in your posts is already HTML and deactivating bb code only affects new posts, not old ones. 

I think the point of my post was missed.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:19 PM, ahc said:

I'm talking about on here, Invision.  I hate sending images because they take up a lot of space, and now that I can't use bracket tags, there's no way for me to spoil anything because they don't have the button in the editor menu.

[spoiler]Spoiler tags do not work here on Invision's forums anymore.[/spoiler] I am not talking about 3rd party communities.  They do not have the spoiler button in the toolbar for me to utilize.

Edited by ahc