Record video and voice

kmk

Nothing wrong with new features, good suggestion I'm sure.

However, audio and video can very quickly increase data storage requirements as well as load times. I'm sure something could be done to easily address load times but disk space is another matter. Though it's in the Cloud it still takes up a lot of space especially as the site becomes more popular and more and more people use such a feature.

Would you be willing to pay an additional data storage fees and bandwidth fees if you're hosting with IPS?

That's already been supported for years now. I believe he wants to have some sort of built-in audio/video creation tool. To be hosted only on their site maybe? 

On your own site, with your own hosted video you can decide who sees it and who does not. Very little decision on who sees your stuff on YouTube

Edited by Malwarebytes Forums
updated info

6 hours ago, kmk said:

The text style communication is already developed so much, I would like to see the feature of record video and voice build in our ips platform. Enrich our community with this ability...

If you want native video recording and hosting then IPS will also need to implement something like FFmpeg to handle transcoding. It's not so much of an issue for content that is captured directly into the community because the platform can encode it on the fly, but any uploaded videos will need a transcoding pass to make them suitable for cross platform usage on the web. Incidentally, XF supports FFmpeg and assuming you've installed FFmpeg on your XF server, issues a notice that the video is currently being prepared for use once the video is uploaded. I think it probably does the same for audio. It's a nice solution and works well, or at least it did when I last used it a couple of years ago.

Obviously going the YT or Vimeo route cuts out the transcoding and bit rate tuning requirement, but as @Malwarebytes points out, you are left with little to zero control over who sees what, unless you install a security trimmed, proxy streaming service that obfuscates the true location of the video being sent to the viewer. 

Despite the obvious issues in implementing this, we'd love to see native video handling and transcoding capability in IPS, especially security trimmed playlists that are protected by native IPS permissioning. If IPS has no immediate plans to consider this, then I'd suggest approaching someone like @onlyME who built the Videobox app, which he might consider enhancing to include AV capture and transcoding. I know he's busy at the moment, but might be tempted with the right offer. Count me in for a sizeable $contribution should anybody want to run with this idea, or something of a similar nature which delivers equivalent functionality.

Edited by christopher-w
Typo

1. I suggest this by the real community communications need. This is one of big element that make others platforms whatsapp, wechat, telegram etc.... Success. Try to fit the real human need that help us improve, innovative and maybe let us stay ahead of the game. 

2. It should be feature option for each website, because it mean storage cost. 

3. In other hand, if this feature implementation provide powerful to admin to give more valuable community services and products, I think most of us will believe that mean so many business opportunities. If admin get powerful tool to generate income serving to their community's members, the storage cost will not the problem. Unless admin think in their community service will not generate income as well, in this case the admin can decide disable this feature. 

4. In my case, this will a feature key that let me implement online education program to my community's members. 

Right now I have rumble talk, but it still doesn't work as well as I imagine if our IPS community have our own feature implemented. Rumbletalk

While I finish this post, I found this project, who know about it? www.mumble.info

14 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Use Youtube?

I recently came to the conclusion that we are too dependent on Youtube and other social networks. At some point, I used Youtube so much that I psychologically stopped noticing other sites. And so, I stopped using Youtube, started running my own website, started writing plugins for the game. But beyond that, I learned about many cool, incredibly useful sites and communities.

Stop using Youtube as a source of content, it stops your self-development.

39 minutes ago, L4D2Noob said:

I recently came to the conclusion that we are too dependent on Youtube and other social networks. At some point, I used Youtube so much that I psychologically stopped noticing other sites. And so, I stopped using Youtube, started running my own website, started writing plugins for the game. But beyond that, I learned about many cool, incredibly useful sites and communities.

Stop using Youtube as a source of content, it stops your self-development.

If you ask my family I don't use YouTube enough. Its a good means for uploading videos without having to host or encode them or convert them or whatever.

IPS is actively exploring options for video. There's no news to share (yet!).    

I'm personally a big fan of video and imagery as a growing form of communication for the future.  We invented text because it simply wasn't possible to replicate in-the-moment images that captured the entirety of the experience in the times of cavemen.  We needed to use sticks to draw representative pictographs.  We're now coming full circle. With cloud storage, cameras, smartphones, and instant photography available to the masses, our communication of the future will be richer, more full bodied, and all-encompassing.  Textual conversation in forums will always be the legacy focus of IPS, and I don't think that's going to change, but it's clear that a significant portion of online communication is moving away from text and towards voice and video, and it's not a trend that will reverse.     

The way people communicate is changing, and no one knows this better than teens. We are using images to talk to each other, to communicate what we’re doing, what we’re thinking, and to tell stories. — Instagram founder Kevin Systrom

As others have astutely pointed out, IPS needs to explore options that can work across the range of communities and server hosting environments. 

1 hour ago, Joel R said:

IPS needs to explore options that can work across the range of communities and server hosting environments.

How about if by now, integrate jitsis into ips? At least for exploring purpose... At the same time we can take this advantage before you confirm the voice and video feature implementation. 

• 3 months later...