Friendly URL's for Profile usernames

Good Evening.

I am starting a new project where my new site will be centred around people creating and customising there profiles.

I have the perfect domain for this but this will only work perfectly if i can have domain.com/username

My attempts have resulted in failure so far with putting domain.com/{?} for domain.com/index.php?/app=core&module=members&controller=profile

The error this gives is: The Friendly URL must be unique, the value entered will conflict with other Friendly URLs and support have pointed me to this forum to seek help.

Has anyone done this with invision ? I have managed it with buddypress but well.... its not as good!

8 minutes ago, DawPi said:

For YOUR project. Not everyone.

What's wrong with urls with ids?

Ok.. this new project that i am working on 🙄

Normally absolutely fine, however if you seen the domain you would understand, a huge part of the appeal will be having domain.com/username, this is going to be more of a profile site and customising your own profile than a forum.

4 hours ago, RoleplayUK said:

That's a massive shame

It's not a shame, it's standard.

4 hours ago, RoleplayUK said:

than its competitors

They do it that way too. XenForo works with IDs and even good old vBulletin did it all the time.

21 hours ago, RoleplayUK said:

I have managed it with buddypress

BuddyPress isn't a forum software, it's only a profile toy for WordPress

13 minutes ago, V0RT3X666 said:

It's not a shame, it's standard.

They do it that way too. XenForo works with IDs and even good old vBulletin did it all the time.

BuddyPress isn't a forum software, it's only a profile toy for WordPress

@V0RT3X666 A lot of sites have domain.com/username ... Facebook, twitter, Instagram the list goes on, I would say that is industry standard.

Phpfox is another example of community software that has /username

If its not possible with IPS its not possible with IPS, I will need to rethink if to proceed with my project or look at other software which of course i do not want to do as i ve used IPS for many years on another successful project and think its far superior than its competitors.

I would say its not possible seeing you guys are very experienced plugin developers here, dispite IPS support saying it is possible with some customisation and sending me to these forums.

My idea however and the domain wont be anywhere near as good without /username so a rethink is due.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Edited by RoleplayUK