Embed Apple Music

Hey team, now that IPB is getting some love with 4.5 and singing in via your Apple account, wondering... would it be possible to also integrate a way to include Apple Music embeds like Spotify? Including on 4.4 😇 

My members feel like I'm sabotaging them by not allowing Apple Music to embed on the forum 😆 

Anyone else missing this feature? 

2 hours ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

As far as I can tell, Apple Music does not actually support Oembed, so it doesn't seem possible until they do.

You can embed 🙂

Unless embed is different than Oembed?

Here's an example:

<iframe allow="autoplay *; encrypted-media *;" frameborder="0" height="150" style="width:100%;max-width:660px;overflow:hidden;background:transparent;" sandbox="allow-forms allow-popups allow-same-origin allow-scripts allow-storage-access-by-user-activation allow-top-navigation-by-user-activation" src="https://embed.music.apple.com/us/album/watermelon-sugar/1485802965?i=1485802967"></iframe>

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 12.00.46 PM.png

2 hours ago, opentype said:

What would you want to embed? The 30-seconds previews? Looks like that is all they provide. 

And where do they access this to potentially share it? In iTunes?

That would suffice, yes. 🙂

Spotify is that way as well. It then opens up on the user's app. 

2 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

@breatheheavy send me a sample link via PM. A third-party embedding site (like iframely) should be able to do this, and I've been playing with adding this to an existing plugin. I can test it out to show you how it will look.

Sent!

1 minute ago, opentype said:

I think the “copy link” code can be turned into an auto embed, just like with YouTube. Probably better suited for a third-party plugin though without the oEmbed. 

But I let Nathan go first. 😉 

Promising news! I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet but maybe no one cared but me till now 😂 

Also, not to conflate the topics at-hand, but maybe a Tik Tok integration as well 😏 

But one thing at a time 🤭 

Here is what iframe.ly will provide for the link above, in conjunction with https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8963-ne-oembedservices-management/

image.thumb.png.1fe898825958adefb8168d806c3fd3b9.png

The cheaper option (as iframe.ly could cost you a bit monthly, plus the plugin)...you've also pointed out that they provide embed code themselves - you can create a custom button in the Editor, add 'music.apple.com' as an Allowed iFrame Base for the Editor, and then take the URL...but it requires the user to click the Editor button, paste the URL, and then the viewer of the content to not have anything that protects against X-frames policy.

27 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Here is what iframe.ly will provide for the link above, in conjunction with https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8963-ne-oembedservices-management/

image.thumb.png.1fe898825958adefb8168d806c3fd3b9.png

The cheaper option (as iframe.ly could cost you a bit monthly, plus the plugin)...you've also pointed out that they provide embed code themselves - you can create a custom button in the Editor, add 'music.apple.com' as an Allowed iFrame Base for the Editor, and then take the URL...but it requires the user to click the Editor button, paste the URL, and then the viewer of the content to not have anything that protects against X-frames policy.

Interesting! My first takeaway is that this is great that this *can* be done. 👍 

Second, asking the user to paste a link from a button in the toolbar is a little confusing considering every other method to include media/embeds is done by pasting a link. 

Are we absolutely sure that there isn't an option to simply paste the link and it auto embeds? Why is Spotify, YouTube etc all free but Apple Music costs money? That's super curious. 

We're definitely on the right track though! 

44 minutes ago, Eudemon said:

where do all your ideas come from think sesame street GIF

light nestor the long eared christmas donkey GIF by Warner Archive

They just appear 😆 

4 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

Are we absolutely sure that there isn't an option to simply paste the link and it auto embeds? Why is Spotify, YouTube etc all free

Because they support oembed ,and are natively handled by the IPS software as a result.

4 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

but Apple Music costs money?

Because it (Apple) doesn't support oembed - a 3rd party resource is required to do the embedding automatically, and that then needs to be integrated with the IPS software.

It's an option, it might not be the only option.

Edited by Nathan Explosion

6 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Because they support oembed ,and are natively handled by the IPS software as a result.

Because it (Apple) doesn't support oembed - a 3rd party resource is required to do the embedding automatically, and that then needs to be integrated with the IPS software.

It's an option, it might not be the only option.

AHHH ok thank you for clarifying. How interesting. Curiously, Apple is the only one that charges, too. The others obviously have paid tiers, but also include free tiers. Very on brand for Apple 🤭 

3 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

Curiously, Apple is the only one that charges, too.

No, they don't.

The 3rd-party I indicated, iframe.ly, do - for processing the embedding for you, if you go above a certain number of hits a month

Not sure how you've managed to misconstrue the above information, and what I put in the PM, to meaning that Apple is doing the charging here.

2 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

No, they don't.

The 3rd-party I indicated, iframe.ly, do - for processing the embedding for you, if you go above a certain number of hits a month

Not sure how you've managed to misconstrue the above information, and what I put in the PM, to meaning that Apple is doing the charging here.

I meant for their music streaming. Sorry, should have clarified. 

That being said, I've wanted a proper Bandcamp and Apple Music embed, and as @Nathan Explosion says, it's due to iFramely charging to do the embed work to get around their lack of oEmbed support.

I've created a Bandcamp embed button, and it requires my users to paste in the AlbumID from the WordPress code Bandcamp's embed feature offers. They've gotten used to it, and they can't embed single tracks since the button only takes one input parameter, but it's better than nothing.

I tried an Apple embed button but gave up after a bit - can't recall exactly why though. If I remember, I'll follow up on this.

12 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

it's better than nothing.

I tried an Apple embed button but gave up after a bit - can't recall exactly why though. If I remember, I'll follow up on this.

To be honest, I agree with this. 🙏 

It beats not having it at all. I'm still super interested in this! Hopefully my joke fail didn't deter @Nathan Explosion away 😔 

Nope - nobody asked for further information on how to add the button, so I didn't provide the steps. Easy...

In ACP, go to Customization -> (EDITOR) Toolbars
Click 'Add Button'
Go to the 'Custom' tab
Fill it out as you wish (track down an apple logo in PNG format, maybe?) but adhere to the following:
 - "Use option" - turn this on
 - In the HTML field, enter the following as the code

<iframe allow="autoplay *; encrypted-media *;" frameborder="0" height="150" style="width:100%;max-width:660px;overflow:hidden;background:transparent;" sandbox="allow-forms allow-popups allow-same-origin allow-scripts allow-storage-access-by-user-activation allow-top-navigation-by-user-activation" src="{option}"></iframe>

Save the button, and then move it on to your toolbar.

Then, click (EDITOR) Settings
Go to the Advanced tab
In 'Allowed iframe bases' and add *.apple.com, and then click Save

That should be it - then you test things out and you go from there, but keep in mind that the viewer of the content may need to do further work as they may have something in place that protects against X-frames usage.

Additionally - have you taken a look at this plugin, and enquired as to whether it can do what you are asking? (I don't know if it does - I don't know what the backend service is that is being used)

Edited by Nathan Explosion