How do I sell a digital download using Commerce?

Meddysong

I just can't see how to do it. It's a normal product although intangible, so I don't set Physical? to yes. So far, so good. But where's the field to upload the files?

I'm not speaking about using the Downloads app to allow users to upload their own paid files, as in the Marketplace here, but selling an ebook within Commerce. I want people using our store to spot that there's a category for ebooks as well as all conventional books. If they make a purchase, I'd like them to be able to download them, just as happens with paid files using Downloads.

Am I barking up the wrong tree and something like hosting space (?!) is catered for but a download within Commerce isn't? 

11 minutes ago, bfarber said:

You can require a specific package be purchased in order to download a file in Downloads.

I have Downloads but I wanted the good to appear with the other goods in Commerce. It sounds as though I have to make a distinction, do I? Books, clothing, membership, sundries etc in Commerce; but if you want the digital version of a book, you have to know to go to another part of the site, rather than see it listed with the other products we sell in our store. Is that right?

20 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

I have Downloads but I wanted the good to appear with the other goods in Commerce. It sounds as though I have to make a distinction, do I? Books, clothing, membership, sundries etc in Commerce; but if you want the digital version of a book, you have to know to go to another part of the site, rather than see it listed with the other products we sell in our store. Is that right?

No. You can link a download to a regular product, so it will appear normally in the shop. 

No, you can put up a full package in Commerce, but then when you submit the file in Downloads there's an option to require someone to have purchased the product. It's a bit different than user-submitted purchases, and is what we do in our main Commerce where we sell our software (although we've also built a custom control panel for downloading the purchases for our purpose).

image.png

Archived