How do I copy a post?

Black Tiger

I'm missing an option but maybe I'm not looking at the right place.

I want to copy a single post from a thread to another forum section. But I miss the "copy" option.

When trying the "split" option, I can only split the post, so the move option is not present under there either.

I don't want to use copy and past into a new post because I want the name of the original poster on the post. It should be possible to copy a post.

How can I copy a post?

There is no provision in the software to "copy" a post. You can split a post which will split it from the current topic to a new or existing topic. In a typical forum environment, usually having more than one copy of a post though is unwanted. Curious why you may want more than one?

I know I can split, as I stated myself in the post, but that is not the same. I've seen a request for this from 10 years ago (2009).

There already was stated 1 good reason to have more then one post, which is to copy it for mods to a section to see if something should be done with it or not, when in doubt.

We've got a second reason, which is even better.

Users make good contributions, and regularly they post some manual on how to do certain things in a reply in a thread. Often along with other text.

When it's possible to copy a post, it's a lot easier to copy the post to the manual's section of the forum. This way the original thread stays present and is not taken out of context, you have a nice clear and coherend manual section and since the post is copied, the credits stay on the original poster which is better then mentioning him.

So especially on technical forums with a seperate manual section, this is very handy feature.

9 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

Users make good contributions, and regularly they post some manual on how to do certain things in a reply in a thread. Often along with other text.

When it's possible to copy a post, it's a lot easier to copy the post to the manual's section of the forum. This way the original thread stays present and is not taken out of context, you have a nice clear and coherend manual section and since the post is copied, the credits stay on the original poster which is better then mentioning him.

So especially on technical forums with a seperate manual section, this is very handy feature.

I’m not so sure about that. Having the same forum post as independent copies across multiple topics sounds rather confusing. People then reply in different ways in different areas and everything gets scattered. And what if that post needs changes? Should the owner find 10 copies and repeat the changes everywhere? Or should one edit change every instance, which means that significant changes invalidate all answers to these posts? It all calls for trouble. It’s really well established that this type of content should rather be unique and be linked to instead. 

For a “manual section” or any type of FAQ, articles, instructions, … I would also always consider using Pages. It’s perfect for this type of stuff. 

13 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

I know I can split, as I stated myself in the post, but that is not the same. I've seen a request for this from 10 years ago (2009).

There already was stated 1 good reason to have more then one post, which is to copy it for mods to a section to see if something should be done with it or not, when in doubt.

We've got a second reason, which is even better.

I would like have this feature too. Specially we want re-organize forums information and give it structure level value. 

@opentype

I’m not so sure about that. Having the same forum post as independent copies across multiple topics sounds rather confusing. People then reply in different ways in different areas and everything gets scattered.

No that's not the case, users just post their discussions, but regularly a good manual comes out. I've never seen posts scattered all over the place. User can also post manuals in the manual section, but in that case the post needs approval.

But it happens more then enough on technical forums that a good manual on how to do something ends up in some reply. It's just not scattered but better to find back if you have those also in a seperate manual section.

I don't know where you get the idea that there would be 10 copies. We're talking just 2. And the one in the manual section gets updated if needed. This can be done by the user or by the admin, does not make a big difference.

You say it all calls for trouble, but I get the impression you never tried this before and I don't know why this would be established and should be linked to instead. We have another experience about that for many years which is well working and has no issue's with scattering or anything else you're scared about.
You can place a link in the original post to the post in the manual section too if needed. So it always stays only 2 posts maximum.

I would also always consider using Pages. It’s perfect for this type of stuff.

I disagree on that. Firstly it's to big a fuzz to give user permissions to put things in pages. As a second reason you have to buy Pages, there are enough around which don't have Pages and as a 3rd reason, there are also forums (like mine) which had other forum software before going over to Invision and so already have a manual section.

5 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

I disagree on that. 

Disagree with what? All I suggested was to “consider it”. You disagree with even consider other options?

6 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

I don't know where you get the idea that there would be 10 copies. We're talking just 2.

You described a general “copy post” feature and I evaluated the possible uses of that as a general feature of the Invision Community Suite. It makes no sense for me to limit the evaluation to a specific use on a single site, since IPS would not build it for a single site. 

10 minutes ago, opentype said:

Disagree with what? All I suggested was to “consider it”. You disagree with even consider other options?

No ofcourse I don't disagree on considering other options, but you did not only make a suggestion you said:

20 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

It’s perfect for this type of stuff.

Which is an opinion and I disagreed on that opinion, and also placed my arguments with it.
Now my counterquestion is... did you ever consider trying what I suggest with the option to copy posts yourself? Having own experience with it?

13 minutes ago, opentype said:

You described a general “copy post” feature and I evaluated the possible uses of that as a general feature of the Invision Community Suite.

Seems like a non argument to me. I don't see in any way what this has to do with the amount of copies used of the scattering you're talking about. It's still 2 posts if used this way.
If it will be scattering and 10 copies then it's the admins bad policy on how to do things. As said we're using this a long time like this (which is 19 years). And I know more forums using the copy option without a lot of scattering or trouble you metion.
You might consider adjusting your evaluation of things or consider trying them once because I already confuted (is that the correct English word? If not, sorry) your consideration arguments.

Archived