What are status updates?

Black Tiger

I'm not native English so I don't quite understand this option and what it does.

In a usergroup I can enable both the "can post" and "can import" status updates.

Now for the import option it says:

If you have enabled integration with Facebook and/or Twitter, users can import statuses from these services.

So to me this means that if you have Facebook integration users can import status from Facebook. Like what kind of statuses?
But this will probably be kept disabled anyway.

I don't see a description with the "can post status updates". What are status updates, and where are they posted, is there an explanation or an example?

So it only has to do with profile messages? Nothing else?
Oke that makes it more clear. Thank you for the explanation.

By default, they're disabled.

Ehmz.... you sure? I disabled them after conversion, as well as from vBulletin from SMF. I even see them enabled on a newly installed forum, but I'm not sure if the owner admin did that.

P.s. maybe a little other question, where can users view the member list (and/or search for members) or where do I enable this for them?

35 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

Ehmz.... you sure? I disabled them after conversion, as well as from vBulletin from SMF. I even see them enabled on a newly installed forum, but I'm not sure if the owner admin did that.

Yes, they should be disabled by default although there are Marketplace mods that allow them to auto-enable for all new users.  

36 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

P.s. maybe a little other question, where can users view the member list (and/or search for members) or where do I enable this for them?

The Member List is tricky.  It's actually "Search by members," which displays the member list in a special configuration.  

Here's the link to the member list on InvisionCommunity:

https://invisioncommunity.com/search/?&type=core_members&joinedDate=any&group[45]=1&group[36]=1&group[44]=1&group[50]=1&group[5]=1&group[4]=1&group[43]=1&group[47]=1&group[48]=1&group[49]=1&group[3]=1

There are mods in the Marketplace that can give you a better Member List.

6 hours ago, newbie LAC said:

This is inbuilt feature

Yes that one is disabled by default, but I was talking about the ones in the membergroup under the social tab.

image.png

12 hours ago, Joel R said:

he Member List is tricky.  It's actually "Search by members," which displays the member list in a special configuration.  

That's rather difficult. I wonder why IPS doesn't have a simple button like other forumsoftware does. But I don't mind myself really. 🙂

18 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

That's rather difficult. I wonder why IPS doesn't have a simple button like other forumsoftware does. But I don't mind myself really. 🙂

Leave the search topic blank and do a search. That will return all members. You then save that as a link in the main menu and it is easily available to everyone.

With thanks to whichever IPS staff posted that tip years ago.

Archived