Can't I quote with a username???

Black Tiger

Until now I was used (on various other forum softwares) to create small quotes manually.

So If I just wanted to quote af few words or only 1 line of a certain user I would mention his name in the quote like this.

[ quote=Black Tiger]This is a small quote[ /quote]

And then I wrote my reply below it and the user's name was shown in some way so it was clear this was a line which was quoted from a certain user.

This is still possible in Invision, but the username automatically disapplears and it only says "quote" and nothing else.

I know I can do this by selecting a line and then use the quote option, but can't we do this manually anymore?

Since the widely used "noparse" bbcode does not work here I don't know how to put an example here without it getting parsed and had to fix it after posting.

I'm also missing a preview option for this message so I can see if I used the codes correctly now, that's a bit annoying too.

@opentypeWe would like to do it manually because we don't like this "xxx hours ago, user said:  we would just like a "user said" as quote. So still wondering why the quote=username is not working here as bbcode.

@newbie LACThat is exactly what I mean, this works. However I wonder why they did not make it easier like with others.

And seems in Invision when using the code tag, the bbcode is not parsed automatically. I wonder why, because if you want to make something bold in a code tag, hoe is this done then?

For example like this:

2019-06-02 03:28:46 exim 4.92 daemon started: pid=11867, -q15m, listening for SMTP [b]on port 25 (IPv4)[/b] port 587 (IPv4) and for SMTPS on port 465 (IPv4)

16 hours ago, Black Tiger said:

However I wonder why they did not make it easier like with others.

This is an old format

[quote name='User' timestamp='1559452485' post='123']

Now

[quote name='User' date='2 June 2019' post='123']Text[/quote]

16 hours ago, Black Tiger said:

because if you want to make something bold in a code tag

This will not work by specification. https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_pre.asp

1 hour ago, Black Tiger said:

I'm also missing a preview option for this message so I can see if I used the codes correctly now, that's a bit annoying too.

@newbie LAC has answered your question about quote pretty well already I see.

BBCode has NEVER worked inside code tags. In fact, even if it could, it shouldn't - people have long used code tags to show other users how to format using bbcode, so naturally you can't parse the bbcode.

There is a preview button on the editor.

image.png

Oke I must be mistaken then, i really thought I'd seen it before somewhere when pointing specifically to things in code.
Especially with "search this and replace with that" kind of things. I'm sure I've seen that somewhere.

Is there *any* way you can point to specific things in a code tag? Like:

search for this

Take this line and remove this part and leave this part[/quote]

and remove this part

Take this line and remove this part and leave this part

Oke this is exactly why I like simple bbcode quoting, my message got messed up and could not edit decently anymore.

I don't like this system.

Anyway, question is if there is some way to do this not in quote but in code tag, I'm sure I've seen it with color somewhere.

Link please

Can't remember, I thought it was on vBulletin, but it can also be that they used the quote tag like I did instead of the code tag, and then disabled the smilies for a post.

Is there a way to disable smilies in 1 post on Invision? Because then I that would also be good, we could just use a quote combined with code like in my example.

Archived