One member / One forum

Giray

This is absolutely NOT mission critical, but I did want to know if it was feasible.

Is there a way to create a forum that is only accessible to one member, not a grou?  I know I can create a one person group, I just wanted to know if there was a member level permission. Another case might be when you have a forum accessible to a group but just want to have one particular member, not of that group, join in the discussion.

Thoughts?

Thanks all.

44 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Not out of the box. You would need a plugin to disallow people with permission to view/read its topics and allow only specific member Ids.

Thx Adriano. Pray tell, is there such a beast? 😉 Don't bother, I'll just scroll through the Marketplace. Thanks again for all your contributions!

Just now, Marc Stridgen said:

I'm curious as to the context of what you are trying to achieve here. Could you give us an idea of what the purpose of this forum would be? It may well be there are other ways in which to achieve what you are looking for.

Thanks for asking Marc. BTW, don't want to take up anyone's time because this is not mission critical. As the top admin of the forum, I just wanted a place that I could make myself notes and entries regarding the community; things I've modded, etc. It was like a scratch pad. I just did not want other admins and mods to see it. I could go the password route but then it looks like I'm hiding something. Another way would be, and this might be an interesting add on, to have a section in the AdminCP (and madcap) for admins and mods to keep their own notes. In other words, each admin would have their own working space to keep notes, todos, ideas, etc.

Again, thanks to everyone.

5 minutes ago, Giray said:

Thanks for asking Marc. BTW, don't want to take up anyone's time because this is not mission critical. As the top admin of the forum, I just wanted a place that I could make myself notes and entries regarding the community; things I've modded, etc. It was like a scratch pad. I just did not want other admins and mods to see it. I could go the password route but then it looks like I'm hiding something. Another way would be, and this might be an interesting add on, to have a section in the AdminCP (and madcap) for admins and mods to keep their own notes. In other words, each admin would have their own working space to keep notes, todos, ideas, etc.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Yes, unfortunately we don't have anything like that within the platform at present. Rather than a forum however, while its certainly not built for that purpose, you can actually send PMs to yourself, and you can add folders in there so that you could categories as needed. Not an ideal scenario I know, but it's a solution if you need to keep notes within the software for some reason.

3 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Yes, unfortunately we don't have anything like that within the platform at present. Rather than a forum however, while its certainly not built for that purpose, you can actually send PMs to yourself, and you can add folders in there so that you could categories as needed. Not an ideal scenario I know, but it's a solution if you need to keep notes within the software for some reason.

Thanks Marc. But, agreed, having the ability to keep admin notes would be a good thing? 😉 discreet nudge!

Agreed, on the dashboard, but after a while, the pad become unwieldy and, again, if there are several people working on the site at the same time, it gets overwhelming. No worries, again, not mission critical 😉

This is a good concern that I would think most admins would eventually think about.  

I personally keep private admin notes offline in a Microsoft OneNote notebook.  Notes like that don't really belong on the community anyways, and One notes offers much more powerful organization like tabs, tags, checklists, and reminders.  

1 minute ago, Joel R said:

This is a good concern that I would think most admins would eventually think about.  

I personally keep private admin notes offline in a Microsoft OneNote notebook.  Notes like that don't really belong on the community anyways, and One notes offers much more powerful organization like tabs, tags, checklists, and reminders.  

Good point Joel, but what about those of us who travel regularly and need to access the site from various computers (my case)? It's just nice to have all of the information in one place. Also, if it's on the backend, I don't see it as being 'on the community', it's really on the CP.

I travel a lot too, and in fact just finally got back into the office from two weeks of back to back conferences (it's always fun trying to run an ACP update over airport wifi).  

Like any other file, I just save it to my OneDrive account so it's accessible anywhere.  There's an app for smartphones, which is why I like it so much.  

While certainly not the most ideal solution, you could create a Private Club that only you are a member of. This would allow you to be separate from everything but still have your own Forum, etc... Also could potentially invite others if you ever feel the need to share what you've jotted down with other members of your staff.

It is an interesting question.  I'm the sole owner and admin of my site so I've never had to think about this, but if you have any other admins I assume it gets a bit tricky when they can log in as other people and view/edit blog and forum settings, etc.

Like Joel, I was going to suggest OneNote as a cloud-based solution (even though Microsoft's at best mediocre software and interfaces sometimes make me rage...🤬 lol)

Archived