How to setup a forum moderator?

Black Tiger

Hello.

For the other forum I'm helping with, it's still 4.3.6 and my friend want's to use forum moderators next to global moderators.

So the only way I found to ad a forum moderator, was to add moderators by name in the ACP ->Staff -> moderators part of the forum. Add them with restricted rights and then choose the forums they are allowed to moderate like in the screenshot.

forummod.png.a3717b1ee67f0d443a10f8b2cf3d7eef.png

Logically said, this moderator should only be able to moderate this selected forum.

However, he just told us he can still globally moderate all forums, which is not what should happen.

Did I miss a setting anywhere? Or does it need to be set up some other way? I've seen the wiki but that's not clear about this.

That is the appropriate way to add moderator permissions for individuals.  

Make sure he's not part of a group that you've also added to moderator permissions.  Otherwise, he will receive the most of both his individual and group moderator permissions.  

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. For the moderators and administrators we are only using the default groups.

This user and some other moderators are ofcourse part of the default moderatorgroup (primary usergroup and the have no secondary), otherwise they would not be moderators, correct?

But I don't understand that "most of both" either because it clearly says when adding a moderator to staff:

If a user has individual member moderator permissions set up here, the member moderator permissions will override any group moderator permissions they would have otherwise inherited.

Which says to me (if I'm not misunderstanding) that a member moderator specified in staff will override any other moderator permissions.

So if I did this correctly, is it not working as designed then and should I send in a ticket for this? It is a 4.3.6 forum though. Admin does not want to upgrade yet.

1 hour ago, Black Tiger said:

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. For the moderators and administrators we are only using the default groups.

This user and some other moderators are ofcourse part of the default moderatorgroup (primary usergroup and the have no secondary), otherwise they would not be moderators, correct?

But I don't understand that "most of both" either because it clearly says when adding a moderator to staff:

Which says to me (if I'm not misunderstanding) that a member moderator specified in staff will override any other moderator permissions.

So if I did this correctly, is it not working as designed then and should I send in a ticket for this? It is a 4.3.6 forum though. Admin does not want to upgrade yet.

This is because you can set individual members with moderator permissions without adding them to the moderator group. This way you can set and define EXACTLY what they can and cannot do.
So if you have one forum area you want them to manage, you can select that forum and only have them be able to pin, feature and edit topics/posts for example.

But as Joel has said, make sure he hasn't got any secondary groups assigned to him and that you haven't selected THE WHOLE CATEGORY and only the forum to which you want him in.

This is because you can set individual members with moderator permissions without adding them to the moderator group.

That's indeed a nice feature, however he would like them in de moderator group, which has some nice default features he can set for the whole group, like not being able to be ignored and the group icon and other things.

As you can see from the screenshot, there is only 1 forum selected, nothing else, so no category.

I'll send in a ticket then, maybe they can see what's going on.

2 hours ago, Black Tiger said:

he would like them in de moderator group, which has some nice default features he can set for the whole group, like not being able to be ignored and the group icon and other things.

Group icon I don't know, but you can enable the features for individual, restricted member moderators in the ACP:

image.thumb.png.82c6d240f51abb1dc1cffc6cb4629d2f.png

Thanks for reporting this @Black Tiger 

Things like this concern me. We once had a staff member who had left under a cloud kick off in biblical style aftera bug led to them continuing to receive email notifications from a private staff forum and topics within that they were subscribed to. It was a completely horrible experience.

Well I would like to say a OMG this is great stuff to IPS. I never expected this and I'm doing things with PhpBB, SMF and had vBulletin. Reason of my confusion was I'm used to a lot of other forum software but I'm new to IPS.

So I thought it to work described as above. Create a moderator group, put some moderators in there.

Then go to staff -> moderators and put the moderators in there restricted. Select in the Content tab what they can do and then limit those possibility's by selecting a forum which they belong to in the forums tab.

Well no, that's not the case. It's way more comprehensive then I'd ever expected. You can define anything a moderator can do in total or on a per forum base.

In the content tab, all which is selected there can be done forum-wide.

Only if you deselect something, like for for example "move all content" then this "move" option appears on the "forums" tab, and this way you can select which forum(s) the moderator can move things, and on all forums he can't move things.

So the choice of a forumpart like in the screenshot, is not for limiting a moderator to a forum, but to choose which forum the moderator has the selected rights to.

This way you can give moderators different rights in different forums. Like only give delete rights in certain forums (or other content) and move rights in certain other parts.

You probably all knew this, but I thought just selecting a forum would limit all moderator rights to the selected forum. But in IPS it works way better, more options.

It's just great.

Edit: @tonyvYou had it correct, but I did not understood on how I could set options, but I had to deselect them first under content, I did not know that.

Archived