Test Install

In this document:

it says:

Test Install

Your self-hosted license allows you to have one live installation (your actual community) and one test installation. We also allow an unlimited number of installations on "localhost" domains so you can test locally without restriction.

My question is about "...an unlimited number of installations on "localhost" domains so you can test locally without restriction".

How can I do several local test installations, with the same "localhost" domain?

Can I be separated by directories? For example: localhost/test1, lochalhost/test2, localhost/test3, .... ?

On 3/3/2019 at 5:46 AM, anon00020 said:

In this document:

it says:

My question is about "...an unlimited number of installations on "localhost" domains so you can test locally without restriction".

How can I do several local test installations, with the same "localhost" domain?

Can I be separated by directories? For example: localhost/test1, lochalhost/test2, localhost/test3, .... ?

Yes, you would use different subfolders.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough with my question. I do know what localhost means.

But I got confused as to why to use the term localhost domains here and subdirectory's of localhost was mentioned. Why not just call it local computer installations? Or just call it localhost, because "localhost domains" creates a confusion because in fact localhost is already a domain. User's could think he I create a domain, point it to my pc and my pc is localhost so I have a localhost domain. Which is in fact not true then.

And localhost/test1 localhost/test2 ???? You really lost me there according to what localhost means.

Localhost is the pc correct? Not a directory localhost with subdirectory's like /test1 /test2, hence my confustion to the answer too.

On 3/4/2019 at 5:31 PM, All Astronauts said:

<?php
define( 'COOKIE_PREFIX', 'ipsdev44_');

or whatever you wish

On 3/4/2019 at 5:05 PM, bfarber said:

You can override cookie prefixes (so they don't conflict) by setting a constant in the constants.php custom file. There are instructions for this in our documentation/guides area (I do not have a link to hand at the moment).

Thanks for the tip, I have a lot to learn.

• 1 year later...

I recently had another question about the test installation at "localhost".

Can you have a test installation on "localhost" and another one on a URL on an external server?

For example:

1. https://localhost/test1/
2. https://www.mydomain.com/test2/

1 minute ago, Sonya* said:

You are allowed to have as many localhost installations as you like.

Yes, that is what the official documentation says. But the question I raise is whether localhost and another domain can be used at the same time on an external server for testing

5 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

You are allowed to have at the same time:

• live installation online
  • test installation online (protected by .htaccess and not for public)
  • as many localhost installation as you like

When doing an online installation, for example mydomain.dev, this url is fixed forever and cannot be changed to another test url.

That's why I don't dare to do the test, because I don't know if that would give me an error when using the xxxxx-TESTINTALL license on localhost

1 minute ago, anon00020 said:

When doing an online installation, for example mydomain.dev, this url is fixed forever and cannot be changed to another test url.

It is fixed for 30 days. Then you can change your URL to whatever you like. The same is for the test installation, that is online. It will be saved, but you can change it if you change a URL.

None of your localhost installations will be tracked anywhere in IPS client area. You can have as many installation on http://localhost as you like. E. g. 

You can use you license on localhost multiple times with no impact on your live or test URL online.

4 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

It is fixed for 30 days. Then you can change your URL to whatever you like. The same is for the test installation, that is online. It will be saved, but you can change it if you change a URL.

None of your localhost installations will be tracked anywhere in IPS client area. You can have as many installation on http://localhost as you like. E. g. 

You can use you license on localhost multiple times with no impact on your live or test URL online.

Test urls are a one time url, per our docs/policy below. 

Test Install

Your self-hosted license allows you to have one live installation (your actual community) and one test installation. We also allow an unlimited number of installations on "localhost" domains so you can test locally without restriction.

If you are installing on a test install, enter your license key with -TESTINSTALL on the end. If you are installing on localhost (it must be "localhost" specifically, not "127.0.0.1" or any other alias), this will not count towards either of your installations, however, if you are installing on any other domain, it will count as your test installation.

This means that if you already have a test installation at a different URL, you will receive an error message that says "A test installation has already been activated for this license key. Your license key entitles you to one test installation only." There are three ways to overcome this:

1. You can delete your current test installation and reinstall at the same URL. For example, if your Test URL (as shown in the client area) is "example.com/test", you can install at example.com/test (meaning of course you'll have to delete whatever is there first) and you will not get the error message.

2. You can install on a localhost installation: localhost installations do not count towards your allowed usages.

3. You can reset the licensed URL associated with your license.  The test url is a one time url, so use something you can retain for future testing. To prevent abuse, we only allow this to be done once every 6 months, so do not use this option unless for example, you no longer have access to the domain where your test installation was previously. To do this, click "reset URL" on the same page in the client area.

3 minutes ago, Rhett said:

Test urls are a one time url, per our docs/policy below. 

3 minutes ago, Rhett said:

We also allow an unlimited number of installations on "localhost" domains so you can test locally without restriction.

We still use -TESTINSTALL for localhost installations. I think this is why he is unsure. He can have only one test installation online (protected from public), but he can have unlimited number of localhost installations at the same item using -TESTINSTALL for install.

@Rhett

I don't know English and I don't know if the translation the online translators make is accurate. I have read the documentation, and I understand that the URL for the test installation is unique and cannot be changed. You should try to use a URL that you can always access, therefore, and try not to lose ownership of the domain in question.

But can you use localhost at the same time?

8 hours ago, anon00020 said:

@Rhett

I don't know English and I don't know if the translation the online translators make is accurate. I have read the documentation, and I understand that the URL for the test installation is unique and cannot be changed. You should try to use a URL that you can always access, therefore, and try not to lose ownership of the domain in question.

But can you use localhost at the same time?

Correct, localhost installs are fine yes. 

8 hours ago, jesuralem said:

There is an issue with these rules : if you protect the test install with .htaccess, you can't use the API...

You can deny from all, allowing the IP you need to test from perhaps.