Please allow "full price" for upgrade option

Bluedrake42

image.thumb.png.014611878f380bafd35e8c6170fc8f35.png

I offer rewards for my different subscriber tiers. There should be the option to charge "full price" for an upgrade. Otherwise users are able to upgrade at no charge and then cancel their supporter tier before it renews in order to steal products from me. Without this I'm forced to not allow upgrades or downgrades, which is annoying.

Please allow the ability to charge full price for upgrades and downgrades.

So if there are two packages: one costing $10 and another costing $30, you want a user upgrading between them to be charged $30? Why would the user not make a new purchase and get a full renewal cycle?

Wouldn't $20 (which can be achieved by choosing the "Difference between the purchase prices" option) make more sense?

Because if a user made a new purchase, the user would then be subscribed to two packages instead of upgrading or downgrading from the one they are on. I want them to be able to upgrade or downgrade their package, but I want them to pay full price so they can't exploit the system to receive discounted perks.

9 minutes ago, Bluedrake42 said:

Because if a user made a new purchase, the user would then be subscribed to two packages instead of upgrading or downgrading from the one they are on. I want them to be able to upgrade or downgrade their package, but I want them to pay full price so they can't exploit the system to receive discounted perks.

Wow see many issue having the difference between plans more experience if upgrade cost more, if seen this one a site I have two options, cancel and leave making lose money and customer or cancel and make new account/new package.

Also don't get how claim some upgrade then seal what ever offer your customers then cancel to low tier ? Or cancel full stop.

13 hours ago, Bluedrake42 said:

but I want them to pay full price so they can't exploit the system to receive discounted perks.

But based on Mark's example, they've already paid the first $10! You'd effectively be charging your members $40 for $30 of service, or put another way, over charging them for their loyalty and investment?

I don't really know how to explain it to you, but I can assure you that wouldn't be an issue.

Let me just try to explain it like this.

We're a gaming community. We host servers, and we make games and mods for games.

As a perk, we also bundle keys for games with our supporter ranks. So for instance, at Rank I (5$) you get a bundled key for Insurgency (roughly a 10$ game.) At Rank II (10$) you get a key for Space Engineers (roughly a 20$ game.) And so on.

So if someone purchases a Rank I subscription, they get Insurgency. Then if they try to "upgrade" at a discounted price, they get Space Engineers for only 5$ instead of 10$. People exploit this to get cheaper keys, and farm our site for cheap keys... and then resell them on a greymarket site like G2A.

I don't know why you can't just have it as an option. I can assure you we know our audience and our business. We would like to have a full price upgrade option. It is the only option for the kinds of products we are selling, and the services we are providing.

This makes sense but I think you need to reconfigure how you use Commerce.  What I'm about to tell you will sound stupid, but bear with me.  

You are using subscriptions that contain products.  I *think* you want products that contain subscriptions (or more specifically, changes to the secondary membergroup that impact your desired permissions).  This will allow you to control whether or not the product can be upgraded or not upgraded.   

I'm not a commerce expert but you should try to play around with the product options.  

2 hours ago, Joel R said:

This makes sense but I think you need to reconfigure how you use Commerce.  What I'm about to tell you will sound stupid, but bear with me.  

You are using subscriptions that contain products.  I *think* you want products that contain subscriptions (or more specifically, changes to the secondary membergroup that impact your desired permissions).  This will allow you to control whether or not the product can be upgraded or not upgraded.   

I'm not a commerce expert but you should try to play around with the product options.  

This.  You should have a specific price for a product and then buying that product upgrades them to a specific tier, not the other way around.  That way, buying 5 products that are tier 1 still leaves them at tier 1. 

I've attempted something like that, but it confuses users. They just want to track their subscription tier and subsequent rewards through a single simple portal, similar to Patreon. By creating a collection of products that all affect tier, that undermines that simplicity.

Archived