Group promotion help.

gavpedz

Hopefully I will explain this well enough to understand. 

Ok so I have ads on my site and want to have it set so that the amount of ads users see decrease the more posts they make. 

I was thinking I could probably achieve this with group promotion. 

Users with 200+ posts see less ads

Users 1000+ plus ads see even less. 

Could I achieve this with group promotions? One thing I want to do though is not show these different groups in profiles etc so they all just show in the member group. Would I then set these as secondary groups? 

If anyone could provide some guidance that would be great. 

Well i guess its just trying to figure out how to get this set. 

lets take the first group promotion for example. 200+ posts and they see one less ad.

Now i have loads of memebers that are already on the site that have less that 200 posts so i would need to do two things. Set the secondary group for all new registrations as well as set the secondary group for all current members that have less than 200 posts.

Members new and current with 200 posts or below will see 3 ads

Current members with 200+ posts will see 2 ads

Current members with 2000+ posts will see 1 ad. 

The bit i am strugling with is how to get the initial group setup really. 

I suppose i could just use main groups rather than secondary? Member group as default then promote from that one to another on 200+ posts and again to another group for 2000+ posts. That i think would be the easiest option but i want the group members are in or at least what shows on the forum to be the same which is where i am stuck as i then need to involve secondary groups. 

It just needs two steps:

1. Setting up the promotions:

• below 200 posts: add secondary group “group A”
  • above 200 posts: add secondary group “group B”
  • above 2000 posts: remove secondary group “group B” and add secondary group “group C”
  • and so on

at the end, each tier will have one secondary group set. 

2. Set the permissions for your banner slots in accordance to your groups

• slot 1: show to all secondary groups
  • slot 2: show to all but one secondary group
  • slot 3: show to all but three secondary groups
  • and so on

14 minutes ago, gavpedz said:

Also will ips run through members with a cron or something to apply the secondary group to current members?

Yes, it’s handled automatically in the background. Keep in mind though that it will only be set when the users are active on the site. If you want to move 200 members and after a day you only see a change for 20, that would be normal. 

4 hours ago, opentype said:

Yes, it’s handled automatically in the background. Keep in mind though that it will only be set when the users are active on the site. If you want to move 200 members and after a day you only see a change for 20, that would be normal.

What can be done, if members aren't active anymore?

Is there any workaround known (except for manual member filter & move operations) how to handle inactive members with group promotion rules?

Yeah it would be good if we could force the promotion. 

There doesn't seem to be any clear pattern. I have members that are active and have had the secondary groups added to their account t yet other members that are active haven't. 

When we say active do they have to make a post? 

15 hours ago, gavpedz said:

Yeah it would be good if we could force the promotion. 

There doesn't seem to be any clear pattern. I have members that are active and have had the secondary groups added to their account t yet other members that are active haven't. 

When we say active do they have to make a post? 

This would be based upon the group promotion rule that you have set.  

There are group promotion rules based upon Last Visited and Last Posted.  

14 hours ago, Joel R said:

This would be based upon the group promotion rule that you have set.  

There are group promotion rules based upon Last Visited and Last Posted.  

This is true but those are set by date so say if i set it to last visted between last month and today then any future members would not be promoted?

• 4 weeks later...

That's funny.  You literally can't move them to the inactive group since the trigger event is based on them being active.  

In other news, I read that laziness is an evolutionary feature of nature (more specifically, a lower metabolic rate).  Those inactive members will be there long after the rest of us, doing nothing and still being counted as active members.  

Archived