Subscription Manager Questions/Suggestions

ahc

I'm having a hard time understanding why things work the way they do via the subscription manager and I was hoping I could get some clarification or if we could receive some improvements on it.

• If members repurchase/renew the same subscription after it has expired or canceled, they're still kept in the "Inactive" list.  Why?  This makes it really hard to see how many actual inactive subscribers we have.
  • Why don't coupons work for subscriptions?
  • Why don't we have the option to discount the subscription for certain member groups, similar to what we could do in the shop front?
  • If you have it set to move members to new usergroups, they're reset when that sub is cancelled if toggled.  If the subs are cancelled, but then reactivated for whatever reason, why does it not move them back to the group set for the sub?  Bug - Fixed in next update.
  • If you delete a cancelled or expired sub from the member's purchase list while they have another active sub, why does it drop them from the active list, removing their benefits and sub status, when they still have an active sub that was not removed?
  • Why does editing certain things about the subs make the system think they're a separate entity if purchased/renewed after the changes?
  • Why is the horizontal block presented like this: https://i.gyazo.com/ac333c56a3d8e9f5f1f7e621cb5b5405.png  This feels so cluttered and unnecessary.  It would be better if it was set up as a horizontal alignment of the subscriptions at about the same size as a product would show up in the store?  I'd prefer the horizontal block, but it just takes up entirely too much real estate on the page for showing off just 3 sub options.
Edited by GASR

Several of things might be bugs and should be submitted to the Client Area for review by a Dev.  

For the last one, do you have text in your descriptions? Mine are aligned side by side.  It might also be your screen size is too small, try to expand or reduce your window.  

13 hours ago, Joel R said:

For the last one, do you have text in your descriptions? Mine are aligned side by side.  It might also be your screen size is too small, try to expand or reduce your window.  

Yes, all 3 of them have descriptions.  Why does that effect how they're arranged if the descriptions don't even show up without clicking on it and being brought to the sub page?

+ My screen size is 1920x1080 with a max-forum width of 1500px, which is wider than the default theme.  I have a dual setup so I stretched the window out across both 1920x1080 monitors with no change.  They're still listed vertically on the horizontal block.

7 minutes ago, GASR said:

Yes, all 3 of them have descriptions.  Why does that effect how they're arranged if the descriptions don't even show up without clicking on it and being brought to the sub page?

+ My screen size is 1920x1080 with a max-forum width of 1500px, which is wider than the default theme.  I have a dual setup so I stretched the window out across both 1920x1080 monitors with no change.  They're still listed vertically on the horizontal block.

Never mind, you were specifically talking about the block.  I was thinking you meant the actual Subscriptions page.  It's just a bad layout in the block ?

Edited by Joel R

2 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Never mind, you were specifically talking about the block.  I was thinking you meant the actual Subscriptions page.  

No worries.  I was indeed asking about the block.  I feel like they could have lined it up similar to how products are listed in the store so that it didn't look so out of place.  Example of how bulky and unpleasant it looks below.  I'll play around with the html/css, but it would be better if the default look was more pleasing to the eye.

5bbcc2d7b37825d2f462dbb1cf0dfe1f.png

On 7/9/2018 at 3:06 AM, GASR said:

If you have it set to move members to new usergroups, they're reset when that sub is cancelled if toggled.  If the subs are cancelled, but then reactivated for whatever reason, why does it not move them back to the group set for the sub?

Staff state this will be fixed in the next update.

Another important question is:

Why are only member groups promotions supported in the membership subscriptions module, that promote members to a primary member group?

I'm using a complex group structure of primary and secondary groups and I really require to offer subscriptions, that promote members to secondary member groups only!

My members require to purchase multiple subscriptions at once, and this is only possible with "secondary group promotion subscriptions"!

• 2 years later...
On 7/9/2018 at 12:06 AM, ahc said:

If members repurchase/renew the same subscription after it has expired or canceled, they're still kept in the "Inactive" list.  Why?  This makes it really hard to see how many actual inactive subscribers we have.

I came here because of this. I'm a little confused, too. Some of my members' accounts claim they have an active subscription on my site, yet they're in the "Inactive" tab. 

Look at these below.

• They have an active subscription.
  • Their accounts say they paid... yet, they're in the Inactive section? 

815193838_ScreenShot2020-09-05at9_37_55AM.png.5283f83f208ce5184d386654a3c2049e.png

2 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

I came here because of this. I'm a little confused, too. Some of my members' accounts claim they have an active subscription on my site, yet they're in the "Inactive" tab. 

Look at these below.

• They have an active subscription.
  • Their accounts say they paid... yet, they're in the Inactive section? 

815193838_ScreenShot2020-09-05at9_37_55AM.png.5283f83f208ce5184d386654a3c2049e.png

Yeah the subscription system is broken on our site after upgrading to 4.5.  It shows that all people with expired and cancelled subscriptions as "active" and will not let them buy or renew the same one or any of the others.  Lots of member complaints.

I'm to the point that I want to switch back to using a commerce product with renewals because this has never worked properly for us.  The only way to "fix" this is to delete every recorded instance of them ever owning a subscription in all customer tabs (active, expired, cancelled) and then starting over again which we do **not** want to do because it deletes important purchase history.

Edited by ahc

1 hour ago, ahc said:

Yeah the subscription system is broken on our site after upgrading to 4.5.  It shows that all people with expired and cancelled subscriptions as "active" and will not let them buy or renew the same one or any of the others.  Lots of member complaints.

I'm to the point that I want to switch back to using a commerce product with renewals because this has never worked properly for us.  The only way to "fix" this is to delete every recorded instance of them ever owning a subscription in all customer tabs (active, expired, cancelled) and then starting over again which we do **not** want to do because it deletes important purchase history.

Awe that's no bueno.

Interestingly, I'm still on 4.4. 

2 hours ago, ahc said:

Have you raised a support ticket? We'll look at this at our next 4.4.10 to 4.5.1 upgrade test and see what the result is. We would have the same issue you're describing here if not something configuration specific.

I'll let you know what we find.

1 hour ago, breatheheavy said:

Awe that's no bueno.

Interestingly, I'm still on 4.4. 

Are these "inactive" people set to renew? Are they losing access to things a subscription gets them?

On 9/5/2020 at 2:50 PM, ahc said:

I would strongly encourage you to submit a ticket so we can take a look before you start manually deleting records to try to fix this. You shouldn't have run into issues upgrading from 4.4 to 4.5 with subscriptions. The behavior of subscriptions changed slightly, but naturally the upgrade process should have taken care of any adjustments that were needed.