Limit Bulk Emails

Jamer

My host limits the sending of bulk emails to 200 within an hour, is there a way I can send a bulk email in batches? For example, send email to first 200 members, then maybe a few hours later send the same email to the next 200 members and so on...if not this might be a good feature to add in the future perhaps?

On 15/03/2018 at 10:09 AM, opentype said:

constants.php

define( 'BULK_MAILS_PER_CYCLE', 100 );

I am confused, do I need to add this code to the constants php file? If so, does it matter where I add it? Also how would this work? It will just send emails out in batches of 100, how often? Also could you please tell me where I can locate this file? 

I have exactly the same problem with my server/emails at the moment. If I want to send an email to all our members (say giving details of a promotion/competition) can I change the forum settings so that any email sent is limited to sending 50 per hour? I have 3 thousand members so at the moment, no matter what settings I put in place on the server, the forum software seems to over ride that which crashes the server (which is a shared server) and puts me in breach of the hosting companies terms and conditions! Not good!

Any help much appreciated.

Dave

• 3 months later...
On 3/21/2018 at 9:18 PM, crazzzydave said:

I have exactly the same problem with my server/emails at the moment. If I want to send an email to all our members (say giving details of a promotion/competition) can I change the forum settings so that any email sent is limited to sending 50 per hour? I have 3 thousand members so at the moment, no matter what settings I put in place on the server, the forum software seems to over ride that which crashes the server (which is a shared server) and puts me in breach of the hosting companies terms and conditions! Not good!

Any help much appreciated.

Dave

I suggest my app for restrict how many email sent per time.

You could have many user that follow a forum or a specific topic that generate 100+ notification to send... consider there is another post and generate same notification load, your hosting plan limit it for guarantee the server mail stay healthy and the IP is not inserted into a blacklist.

You can restrict the number of emails sent per-cycle as noted above, but not how many are sent in a given time period. The task that sends emails can run as frequently as once per minute and process multiple "cycles" each minute.

The moral of the story is, if you have 3000 members and your host limits you to 50 emails per hour, you should invest in an alternate method of sending emails.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In my case I have a doubt. My server on Amazon SES allows 200 mails / second, but many times I get error 

451 Timeout waiting for data from client.

If they are supposed to be sent in packages of 50,

On 6/23/2018 at 9:03 PM, Brian Peterson said:

in init.php, the default is 50.

then how can this error occur? Does anyone have any explanation?

Archived