Recommend Usage of Amazon S3?

8 hours ago, Joel R said:

Amazon has a calculator to computer storage costs.  Make sure you use a CDN because even though S3 is cheap for storage, it's expensive for bandwidth.  

iPS has guides on setting up S3.

I'm guessing CloudFlare is the recommended choice? Or are people starting to use Amazon's? Thanks Joel.

Edited by Lord Nowe

On 11/21/2017 at 11:00 AM, Lord Nowe said:

Thanks, perfect! Yeah, I set up an s3 bucket and the CDN for it. Would you say this is good for images only, or for all storage settings?

As much as you're comfortable with.  I try to push as much as I can to S3. 

Can anyone advise on how to set the thing up based on the new interface with Amazon? 

I have created a bucket but I am stuck on being able to assign a user to the bucket and also creating a policy. This has all changed slightly from the video tutorial where it looked much simpler!

1 hour ago, Andy (FTF) said:

Can anyone advise on how to set the thing up based on the new interface with Amazon? 

I have created a bucket but I am stuck on being able to assign a user to the bucket and also creating a policy. This has all changed slightly from the video tutorial where it looked much simpler!

I can try to get a video up later, but here's the general steps:

1. On the user menu drop down, select "My Security Credentials".

2. I selected "continue to security credentials".

3. Select Policies. Create new policy and name it what you like. Under the permissions, select ALL of the s3 permissions (s3 Full Access).

4. Go to groups, create a new one, attach the policy you created to a group.

5. Create a new user, place user into the group you created.

6. Once that user is created, select it and then select Security Credentials. Generate an access key.

Done iirc.

On 04/12/2017 at 12:57 PM, Lord Nowe said:

I can try to get a video up later, but here's the general steps:

1. On the user menu drop down, select "My Security Credentials".

2. I selected "continue to security credentials".

3. Select Policies. Create new policy and name it what you like. Under the permissions, select ALL of the s3 permissions (s3 Full Access).

4. Go to groups, create a new one, attach the policy you created to a group.

5. Create a new user, place user into the group you created.

6. Once that user is created, select it and then select Security Credentials. Generate an access key.

Done iirc.

Thank you. A video would also be very welcome. :)

I have been able to get the S3 component working in terms of images are now being transferred across to it. Thank you for your input guys.

Couple of queries though:

1: Images are now not appearing in the threads / topics.

2: Struggling to upload images over 1mb when upload size is set at 7mb. Is this to do with PHP on my server as I think host changed something last week or do I need to do anything on the S3 end?

13 minutes ago, Andy (FTF) said:

You need to wait until the rebuild prosess are finished

14 minutes ago, Andy (FTF) said:

2: Struggling to upload images over 1mb when upload size is set at 7mb. Is this to do with PHP on my server as I think host changed something last week or do I need to do anything on the S3 end?

You may see max file size in the editor. This is a setting in php.ini - done by your host..

14 hours ago, Andy (FTF) said:

I have been able to get the S3 component working in terms of images are now being transferred across to it. Thank you for your input guys.

Couple of queries though:

Yes, as Kjell said for all of these.

Furthermore, I would ABSOLUTELY recommend using CloudFront (amazon's CDN) for distribution of your S3 files, otherwise your Get requests could be ridiculous, especially if you run a large community. There should be a guide to set that up for your IPS community (I followed it, and it seemed to be more updated...idk though, it was pretty easy to get through without a guide too).

Thanks guys. It is working as it should now :) Next step is to look at the Cloudfront and get that up and running. 

I found a guide but when creating a distribution I am wondering how to manage the fact my forum is not located in the home directory of my server. i.e. Should I state /forum when setting up the distribution or is this irrelevant.

I ask because when I created /forum under the distribution, and then pasted the created AWS Domain into IPB, the forum lost all images. 

Edited by Andy (FTF)

1 hour ago, Andy (FTF) said:

Thanks guys. It is working as it should now :) Next step is to look at the Cloudfront and get that up and running. 

I found a guide but when creating a distribution I am wondering how to manage the fact my forum is not located in the home directory of my server. i.e. Should I state /forum when setting up the distribution or is this irrelevant.

I ask because when I created /forum under the distribution, and then pasted the created AWS Domain into IPB, the forum lost all images. 

You shouldn't need to input anything about your own domains. All you should be using is a distribution of the bucket you are hosting the images on, then in your file settings, placing the CloudFront URL as an end point in your AWS file settings.

44 minutes ago, Andy (FTF) said:

Ok thanks, modified and seems ok. Forgive my lack of understanding of CDN's but will it mirror the core installation files of IPB or just the content. Moreover, how much reliance is taken away from my original server environment with the CDN in place? 

So all the Amazon CDN does is distribute the images and other files you have on the S3 storage space. Your server still serves all of the necessary php and any other files that are using the File System storage method. So to answer your question, no it doesn't mirror your IPS files, those are still server-side. The only reliance that it's taking away from your server is in actually serving all of the image files to your visitors.

12 hours ago, Lord Nowe said:

Furthermore, I would ABSOLUTELY recommend using CloudFront (amazon's CDN) for distribution of your S3 files, otherwise your Get requests could be ridiculous, especially if you run a large community.

I use S3 but not Coudfront. I try to get the grip of things. As far as I have read there is no need to use Cloudfront if your users is in a small geographical area. Like for myselve. I have 5-7000 daily users and all are in Norway, while I use S3 in Frankfurt, with cross region replication to one US bucket.

I have 150k+ with images and my bill with amazon is around 10-14 USD a month..

45 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

I use S3 but not Coudfront. I try to get the grip of things. As far as I have read there is no need to use Cloudfront if your users is in a small geographical area. Like for myselve. I have 5-7000 daily users and all are in Norway, while I use S3 in Frankfurt, with cross region replication to one US bucket.

I have 150k+ with images and my bill with amazon is around 10-14 USD a month..

CloudFront should still help. It caches those images to limit the GET requests.